The Purge

Comments

• johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    4 out of 10

I thought it was poor. Apart from the ridiculousness of the premise, I didn't have any empathy for the characters because they spent the first 15 minutes of the film smiling smugly and self-importantly congratulating themselves on being middle-class and rich enough to protect themselves. It was so off-putting that I actually *wanted* them to be purged.

The whole audience laughed at
    the comedy moment between the two women just before the end
    , but I don't think it was even intended to be funny.

There was also no explanation for
    why the boy opened up the gates to let in the black man. He was the youngest character, but he even so, he was old enough to know better.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this yesterday and I thought it was alright, not the best but not the worst. There were a couple of moments when the entire cinema burst into laughter:
    When one of the girls in the masks fell off the pool table and when the wife took her neighbour and slammed her head into the table!

I saw it on saturday and the audience laughed at exaclty the same bits you mentioned.

I thought the laughter was a little strange because I didn't find either bit funny. And I wasn't sure those bits were supposed to be funny.

It made me surprised at how jaded mainstream movie goers must be now.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Going way over predictions, The Purge has opened to an excellent $36m (estimated) in the US.

Made on a budget of just $3m, I'd say a franchise is highly likely.
    Bingo!

Forgot the Americans got this, this weekend..... but I bet it still only just broke even.;)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the premise of the film, a franchise is more than possible. You'd just have the same premise but used in different scenarios for different films.

You could have a bank heist that's carried out on 'purge night' i suppose. Or a rescue operation of some description.

It wouldn't always have to be a "horror" film i suppose.
  • missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday with some friends was not that good it a ok movie I wouldn't see it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Purge reminded me of a lot of films that had came previous to it.

When I first heard the plot, I was reminded of Assault on Precinct 13.

Then Straw Dogs. Then Panic Room.

The idea of one night of excessive violence also reminds me of Devil’s Night in The Crow.

The authorities allowing / encouraging people to kill each other is also reminiscent of dystopian future movies such as The Running Man, Battle Royale, and Series Seven.

The main attacker with an outward veneer of civility reminded me of Funny Games.

And the doll the boy used in The Purge reminded me of the mutilated dolls in Toy Story and Small Soldiers.

And the fact the doll had half a face and one red eye reminded me of The Terminator.
  • Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this film. Not surprised it was cheap though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite scene in The Purge only lasted a few seconds. And that was the scene in which the Emergency Broadcast System was broadcast: ‘For the next 12 hours all crime is legal. Including murder. Government officials are exempt from The Purge’. The hairs on the back of my neck (almost) stood up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River 07 wrote: »
    The film was diabolical.
    I felt like leaving early into the film but I stayed.

Marks 1/10

I felt the same way. Utter crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Can't believe this film is number 1 at US box office says it all really about the US audience lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what annoys me about The Purge?

They come up with this brilliant idea. An idea that is really dark and sinister. Then they set it in this middle class home.

Why is it mainstream Hollywood movies always do that. They come up with a dark, sinister premise, then view it from the nice, safe perspective of a middle class family.

When I first heard about The Purge I only heard about the concept behind it. (The idea of crime being legal for one night) I didn’t know it was going to be about a family being terrorised in their home.

And so I assumed it was going to show all the murder, rape, revenge, fires and carnage which would result form such a night.

After coming up with this brilliant premise, why oh why choose to ruin the opportunity it offered by setting it in one house among a bunch of spoiled middle class people.

Given the premise of The Purge, it’s natural setting was an inner city. I would have liked it to be set among more ‘working class’ people and to be darker, more violent and more daring.

Given everything all the poor people would be going through that night, I was quite resentful of the fact they chose to set it among John and Jane Picketfence.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They come up with this brilliant idea. An idea that is really dark and sinister. Then they set it in this middle class home.

Why is it mainstream Hollywood movies always do that. They come up with a dark, sinister premise, then view it from the nice, safe perspective of a middle class family.

When I first heard about The Purge I only heard about the concept behind it. (The idea of crime being legal for one night) I didn’t know it was going to be about a family being terrorised in their home.

And so I assumed it was going to show all the murder, rape, revenge, fires and carnage which would result form such a night.

After coming up with this brilliant premise, why oh why choose to ruin the opportunity it offered by setting it in one house among a bunch of spoiled middle class people.

Given the premise of The Purge, it’s natural setting was an inner city. I would have liked it to be set among more ‘working class’ people and to be darker, more violent and more daring.

Given everything all the poor people would be going through that night, I was quite resentful of the fact they chose to set it among John and Jane Picketfence.

I think you make some excellent points.

I thought the concept was brilliant, if a bit far fetched, but things like that don't bother me, as that is what films are for.

Your point about the middle class perspective is spot on.

If would have been far better set in a more deprived area, because they could have realised the full potential of their idea.

Saying all that, I still enjoyed it though, even if it was a little predictable at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This! I think it might have been better written from a British perspective. We do grit better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you make some excellent points.

I thought the concept was brilliant, if a bit far fetched, but things like that don't bother me, as that is what films are for.

Your point about the middle class perspective is spot on.

If would have been far better set in a more deprived area, because they could have realised the full potential of their idea.

Saying all that, I still enjoyed it though, even if it was a little predictable at times.
    downtonfan wrote: »
    This! I think it might have been better written from a British perspective. We do grit better.

Thanks.

It's always nice when someone agrees. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this tonight, quite suprised to see the screening almost full (considering what its up against). Well worth a watch, it was like Assault of Precinct 13 meets The Strangers, quite a short movie aswell so the action & tension never lets up. 7.5/10

Why, what was it up against?

(Although I did see The Purge I haven't kept up with the latest movies being released lately)
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting concept, but the movie killed itself off in the first 10 minutes by making the audience dislike the characters we're supposed to with.

Make the film again, but from the perspective of a family who are poor or even homeless, and likely to be targeted in the Purge, and make them likable. You instantly have a much better movie.

Been told at work (I work in cinema) that they are already working on the Purge 2 so it looks like this will become a franchise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Think I will go and see it. I do love a bit of Ethan Hawke!

Ethan Hawke played a character that Michael Douglas always plays...the dead-inside business man. :D
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lena Headey often stars in horror movies that aren't very good in practice, 300 and Dredd being other cases in point. I have only watched them, The Purge included, because Lena starred in them.
  • Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, what was it up against?

(Although I did see The Purge I haven't kept up with the latest movies being released lately)

We're going through an epic summer blockbuster season - usually one, sometimes two big movies every weekend. This weekend is World War Z & Despicable Me 2

The Purge was actually released on an off-week, but Star Trek, Iron Man, The Great Gatsby and Hangover III were all still on release at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    We're going through an epic summer blockbuster season - usually one, sometimes two big movies every weekend. This weekend is World War Z & Despicable Me 2

The Purge was actually released on an off-week, but Star Trek, Iron Man, The Great Gatsby and Hangover III were all still on release at the time.

Ah well, see, I wouldn't go and see any of them. I'm a horror guy.:cool:
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Lena Headey often stars in horror movies that aren't very good in practice, 300 and Dredd being other cases in point.

300, and Dredd are not horror films. :)
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    300, and Dredd are not horror films. :)

Neither are they "not very good" - Dredd is a great adaptation, and 300 does what it's meant to do (not every film has to be Citizen Kane). Perhaps Multimedia81 you should watch films with concepts you like rather than just one actress! You might enjoy things more then. What were your thoughts on The Sarah Connor Chronicles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    What a waste of a good concept this film turned out to be. Almost everything that happens can occur and be explained without the purge angle since it all happens at/in a house. Some people are after someone who's in a building with another group of people. They either hand him over to be killed or they'll be killed along with him. Wasn't that the plot for Assault on Precinct 13? When making this Ethan Hawke must have been saying, "How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" Overall It wasn't bad but I wanted to see what was happening across the city.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a waste of a good concept this film turned out to be. Almost everything that happens can occur and be explained without the purge angle since it all happens at/in a house. Some people are after someone who's in a building with another group of people. They either hand him over to be killed or they'll be killed along with him. Wasn't that the plot for Assault on Precinct 13? When making this Ethan Hawke must have been saying, "How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" Overall It wasn't bad but I wanted to see what was happening across the city.

Agree 100%.

This film could have been perfect if only they'd looked at the wider picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the premise but hated the execution, I wanted to see events from all over, people caught up in this night stuck outside, just sticking to this one house made it very dull and predictable.