Which Sitcom Classic Would You Like to Revive?

Comments

• g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop The Dead Donkey
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Drop The Dead Donkey

Oh that was wonderful. It ended with Globelink closing, though - so it would be difficult to get them all back together (and would Henry still be news-reading?). Damien was also left the captive of a lost jungle tribe and Gus had had a complete breakdown.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rising Damp with Frances de la Tour and Don Warrington still in it might still work - the other two are dead so would have to be replaced.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I would like to have seen Men Behaving Badly come back when they hit 40. Obviously that has long passed. Perhaps they could revive it with them hitting 50!

Mid-life crisis jokes a-plenty. I liked it though. It could work.
  • celebmaniacelebmania Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Royle Family as a series rather than just Christmas specials.

Only if it went back to basics. One linear storyline in real time; no need for slapstick or musical montages (don't mind things like the dance scenes to Mambo No 5).

Think there is scope for Carole to become a main character as she has potential, but there is no need for jokes like leaving the Xmas tree up all year round to save time putting it up again and having the sofa being like Mary Poppins magical bag.

Think they can make use of shows like Pointless, Call The Midwife and The Apprentice for social commentary. Keep it in the lounge/kitchen of the Royles and don't go anywhere and don't have Denise as a lazy mother.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    The one sitcom that I would love to see revived is Blackadder but I know that it just wouldn't work as the actors are all too old and too much time has passed.
    Of course Baldrick now outranks Blackadder, as Tony Robinson has been awarded a Knighthood whilst Rowan only has a CBE. :D
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Not Birds of a Feather thats for sure - Ooops I see that ITV are in fact bringing it back.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I would have said 'Blackadder' had it not been for the disappointing 'Blackadder Back and Forth' and the appalling nature of Ben Elton's recent attempts at comedy writing.

It's frightening to think it's nearly 25 years now since the last full series of Blackadder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Mind Your Language
    :eek:
    chimp123 wrote: »
    I would like to see Love Thy Neighbour or To The Manor Born being brought back
    :eek::eek: The programme that taught people it was funny to call black people 'nignog' and 'black sambo'.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brittas empire, i feel it could work.

Does anyone know how it ended?

I seem to remember they had an episode about what happened ten years after they left the leisure centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    It would probably work better now with them as pensioners, James Bolams character still curmudgeonly, growing old disgracefully and beautifully non PC.

However it will never happen as Bolam and Bewes haven't spoken for decades, anyone recall the Ant and Dec remake?

Sadly, I do. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SleepPixie wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Duty Free'? I'm not sure how many series it ran for....classical farce style...but watchable all the same (currently on repeat, on ITV3). The 4 main actors were all very good. I wonder if a sequel would work..or a revival with new actors?

Also: does anyone remember 'Surgical Spirit'? or 'Dear John'? (I'm showing my age, now). And, I quite liked 'The Liver Birds' back in the day - wonder how that one would work nowadays..

They already tried that and it didn't go so well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember they had an episode about what happened ten years after they left the leisure centre.

They did - it was an earlyish Christmas special penned by the original writing team. It, like everything else, was cast aside by the new writers who were commissioned to keep the show going after the originals bowed out. Presumably, the future (with Carole a famous pianist, Colin a Scottish laird, etc) was as much a 'dream' as everything else was revealed to have been in the final episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Gordon Britass, he was incompetent, but everything he did was for the good of the community, or at least that was goal.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom.

It's time Ade Edmondson stopped driving around the Yorkshire Moors pointing at walls and started making comedy again.

Yep I was mullin over ideas for Bottom. I didn't like the idea they had to do Hooligan's Island again.

Maybe Richie and Eddie try to get famous. I thought maybe Big Brother, Countdown or Masterchef.

They would be thrown out of BB for peeking at the female housemates in the bathroom. Knob (s of butter) jokes in Masterchef and comments of 'I'll have a large one, please Rachel'. Ooh er !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Gordon Britass, he was incompetent, but everything he did was for the good of the community, or at least that was goal.

Me too. He completely lacked self-awareness, had no social skills, but 'had a dream'. :D He always thought he was acting in other people's best interests, despite how despotic he was - and he genuinely thought of his staff as family. Laura seemed to be the only one who saw that he had a heart of gold beneath his unwitting monstrousness. Do you recall the episode in which he's hynotised into behaving 'normally' and Laura goes out to dinner with him? The show went downhill after she left, I think.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Oh that was wonderful. It ended with Globelink closing, though - so it would be difficult to get them all back together (and would Henry still be news-reading?). Damien was also left the captive of a lost jungle tribe and Gus had had a complete breakdown.

I was going to say Drop The Dead Donkey too - There's no reason why Henry couldn't still be newsreading even at his age Maybe Gus could be getting his life together after his breakdown and just be one of the team, rather than in charge. Knowing Damien I'm sure he'd could have got away from the African tribe!
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spitting Image. Not really a sitcom, but they would have such a field day if it returned.
  • chimp123chimp123 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    What about Bewitched that used to be a good comedy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chimp123 wrote: »
    What about Bewitched that used to be a good comedy

Wasn't there a spin-off/sequel with Tabitha in her teenage years?
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 Point 4 Children though I would have David and Jenny as the main characters playing parents , David has a son (a minature David, into violence and dead bodies LOL) and a newborn daughter, there mum and David's wife died during childbirth so David is now living back with Bill (Ben is also sadly announced as to of died a few years ago :()

Jenny is living with Keith (the guy she met at uni) tho in these modern times they arent married, Jenny has one daughter from another partner and is pregnant with another by Keith. Jenny and Keith however are always aruging so Jenny is always found back home.

Bill is happy that she has her family but misses Ben terribly, Bill meets David's father in law who is also widowed and these two get close through the series but Bill finds it difficult to let another man in after Ben's death. Jenny, David and Rona all try and help her.

Rona is still around and chasing men,Tony has left her for a younger women. Her and Bill are still running there catering business and Christine is there employer :D
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drop The Dead Donkey would be one I would like to see back, was a great comedy not only for the characters but also was up to date for the news as it was filmed a couple days before broadcast.

Gimme Gimme Gimme was a great comedy as well, well written and Kathy Burke and James Dreyfus were well cast as the leading characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I concur with whoever said Men Behaving Badly, plenty of jokes still there.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,192
    Forum Member
    I'd quite like to see Mr Bean come back for one last special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    2 Point 4 Children though I would have David and Jenny as the main characters playing parents , David has a son (a minature David, into violence and dead bodies LOL) and a newborn daughter, there mum and David's wife died during childbirth so David is now living back with Bill (Ben is also sadly announced as to of died a few years ago :()

Jenny is living with Keith (the guy she met at uni) tho in these modern times they arent married, Jenny has one daughter from another partner and is pregnant with another by Keith. Jenny and Keith however are always aruging so Jenny is always found back home.

Bill is happy that she has her family but misses Ben terribly, Bill meets David's father in law who is also widowed and these two get close through the series but Bill finds it difficult to let another man in after Ben's death. Jenny, David and Rona all try and help her.

Rona is still around and chasing men,Tony has left her for a younger women. Her and Bill are still running there catering business and Christine is there employer :D

Sounds a bit familiar, but I don't know why. :confused: