"BTWiFi" vs "BTWiFi-with-FON"

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
Forum Member
✭✭
When I look at the list of routers in the area, I often see BT users who have three entries:

BTHub3.......
BTWiFi
BTWiFi-with-FON

I can understand there being two, one for the user's own system (BTHub3...) and one of the WiFi entries for other BT customers to use, but what is the purpose of the third one?

Comments

• Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    The Hub bit is the customers private wifi.
    the BT wIfi is a BT wifi hotspot service ( that doesnt use any of the customers allowance)
    the Fon bit is part of the international fon wifi sharing network, again with BT customers this doesnt use any of their alowance, and if they are using the internet it wont take ( much) bandwidth as the user gets priority.

As for Fon, you can buy a fonera yourslef and safely and securly ) share some of your internet wioth other people on the fon network, likewise you can then use Fon wifi hotspots in the UK and around the world for free.
    http://maps.fon.com/

The fon boxes cost around £35 - if you have a smartphone and skype+Skype credit/call out, or another voip provider you can call home on your phone over wifi, whilst abroad, connected to a fon wifi hotspot with no roaming costs.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Because there are three types of connection;
    Home hub
    Business hub
    Public places

The BTWiFi SSID is consistent on all of those but BTWiFi-with-FON is only one home hubs and BTOpenzone-B is only on business hubs. I am a fon user and as of recently I can't connect to any of the two business hubs I can receive at home, but I can connect to the home hub. Since all transmit BTWiFi, it only connects to the strongest one but if I connect to BTWiFi-with-FON, it goes to the home hub one.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks folks. I still don't really get it as the explanations are rather technical for me, but it is not a matter of any urgency, was just curious.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I still don't really get it as the explanations are rather technical for me, but it is not a matter of any urgency, was just curious.

Yes I've just joined BT Infinity and haven't found an idiots guide for this yet.

I'm having slight trouble understanding the differences between making a BT Fon connection and using the shared BT WiFi signal, apart from an extra box being required for one..
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what extra box?
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    what extra box?

No extra box is required, only the HomeHub. (Which is a Fonera router)

Fon works by putting the unused portion of your broadband to work for you. Fonera routers make this possible by broadcasting two powerful, dedicated WiFi signals. One signal is encrypted and private - it’s just for you. The other signal is public, and accessible to registered members of the Fon community. And, because you only share a little bit of your WiFi, you won't even notice when others are connected.
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »

You needn't worry. But if you buy a Fonera, I suggest you only use BTWiFi-with-FON because the other one plays up on certain hubs for FON accounts.
    Forum Member
    jackthom wrote: »
    Yes I've just joined BT Infinity and haven't found an idiots guide for this yet.

I'm having slight trouble understanding the differences between making a BT Fon connection and using the shared BT WiFi signal, apart from an extra box being required for one..

As a BT Customer, you can use:
    BTWiFi
    BTWiFi-with-FON
    BTOpenzone
    BTOpenzone-H
    BTOpenzone-B
    BTFON
    They're more or less the same.
    All you need to do is log in.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    Thanks robertcrowther and -ajm- for making that clearer. :)