Movies based around Greek mythology?

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm really interested in Greek mythology but it's such a huge subject, I wondered if there were any films around a certain concept or maybe even a tv series perhaps.

The internet is mind boggling confusing if you google it, so thought I'd ask directly here :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troy, 300, Jason and the Argonauts

are the ones I first think of
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woody Allen's Mighty Aphrodite.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    immortals
    hercules
    clash of the titans
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O Brother Where Art Thou
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Err, Percy Jackson And The Lightening Thief? :D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite movies 'The Warriors' (1979) is based on the Anabasis by Xenophon which is an Ancient Greek story.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Orpheus
    Orpheus
    Weird Science
    Pygmalion
    My Fair Lady
    Star Wars

Does Needful Things count? Although a terrible film, it partly models after Hercules' Twelve Labours.

I suppose Highlander could be listed as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sparticus.
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Spartacus:rolleyes::p;):D
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Sparticus.

He asked for Greek, not Roman ;)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angel episode "Orpheus".
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Xena: Warrior Princess.

Regards

Mark
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as the Brad Pitt Troy, there's the oldie classic Helen Of Troy and The Trojan Women.

There are also not-too-shabby TV miniseries versions of Jason & The Argonauts and The Odyssey (I personally think The Odyssey is better). There was also a strange modern version of The Odyssey starring Harvey Keitel I think.

Another oldie but fun is the musical comedy One Touch Of Venus (yes, I know it's the Roman name, but it's basically Aphrodite :)).
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to check them out :)

I was reading about Narcissus earlier! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    He asked for Greek, not Roman ;)

Same difference :)
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really hard trying to find something based around a particular Greek God/Goddess because it's such a huge topic. I'm particularly interesting in Aphrodite, Narcissus, Echo etc etc but obviously it's hard to find a film or something centered around that when it was meant to have happened at a different time (if that makes sense).
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Troy's got some hilarious moments. All the cast seem to think that ancient Greeks spoke with English accents so they all tone down their American accents accordingly. Then there's this scene where two guys are sword-fighting in a ruined temple (no idea why the temple's ruined - in ancient Greece they would have been recently built;)) and Sean Bean enters, speaking in his broad Yorkshire accent: 'Eh oop, Achilles. How's tha keepin':D
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as movies based on Greek mythology is concerned, my all-time favourite has to be the original 1981 Clash of the Titans, with 300 a close second.

Then there is the awful series Atlantis currently on BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Troy, I would prefer to see Eric Bana in the role of Archilles as he cuts a more heroic figure.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder woman is based on greek mythology her mum is queen of the amazons and her powers are the gods blessings 'beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, stronger than Hercules, and swifter than Mercury'.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    In Troy, I would prefer to see Eric Bana in the role of Archilles as he cuts a more heroic figure.

He was brilliant as hektor. Brad pitt was well cast as achilles imo
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Triangle
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    It's really hard trying to find something based around a particular Greek God/Goddess because it's such a huge topic. I'm particularly interesting in Aphrodite, Narcissus, Echo etc etc but obviously it's hard to find a film or something centered around that when it was meant to have happened at a different time (if that makes sense).

You might like to try Seeing Heaven (2010), a British contemporary film heavily revolves around the myth of Narcissus. (Trailer here) A cross between Shame (2011) and Jacob's Ladder (1990). Unfortunately, it's dreadful. But do watch it if you're just interested in seeing a contemporary take on the myth, though.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    As far as movies based on Greek mythology is concerned, my all-time favourite has to be the original 1981 Clash of the Titans, with 300 a close second.

Then there is the awful series Atlantis currently on BBC.

300 isn't actually based on mythology but very very loosely based on real events.
    He was brilliant as hektor. Brad pitt was well cast as achilles imo

I thought Brad Pitt was woefully miscast. Then again Troy was a pretty awful film. Why do a film about Greek Mythology and then remove all the mythological elements?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    300 isn't actually based on mythology but very very loosely based on real events.

I stand corrected. :o