Should Foreigners be made to pay for Health Care?

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tnt wrote: »
    What is the NHS doing to recover the money or do they run as soon as they get slapped with a human rights claim?

I understand dialysis treatment can cost £100,000 per person.

I work for Lothian health board and we are currently chasing 1.7 million in unpaid bills due to us from those that have had treatment and disappeared abroad, that money will have to be written off at some point and its frustrating because they money could have been re invested into services.

The NHS as a whole must be chasing unpaid bills totalling at least 80 million, some may say its cchicken feed compared to the overall budget but thanks to the last government and its reckless spending NHS spending squeeze means we cannot afford to lose money through foreigners doing a runner.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    There are a lot countries not part of the Agreement, but their citizens aren't paying a penny.

You can have all agreements you want but if you're not attempting to get the money back, the treatment is free.

I was discussing Spain with the poster at the time who are part of a reciprocal agreement
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for Lothian health board and we are currently chasing 1.7 million in unpaid bills due to us from those that have had treatment and disappeared abroad, that money will have to be written off at some point and its frustrating because they money could have been re invested into services.

The NHS as a whole must be chasing unpaid bills totalling at least 80 million, some may say its cchicken feed compared to the overall budget but thanks to the last government and its reckless spending NHS spending squeeze means we cannot afford to lose money through foreigners doing a runner.

And some NHS hospitals have had to shut departments, like A&E, because the Trusts have over spent...ie the reality that you can't treat everyone for nothing finally hit home.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you are, for the record I work for the NHS and health tourism is a big problem, 15 yrs and counting I have been in my job and everyday we hear of another patient who has skipped back home without paying.

Every time these morons skip without paying means less in the budget to treat the resident/citizens who actually fund the NHS through taxation.

In fact entry to the UK should be denied unless you carry private medical insurance that covers for two years at least.

And all welfare benefits should be denied to those who turn up on our shores without a job or means to sustain them until the get work.

That's tied to your issue with the NHS and councils publishing materials in other languages how? You're assuming that all legit tourists, visitors, students, business people and all on various visas can read and speak fluent English. Rather arrogant of you to believe that the world revolves around the English language, don't you think?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make no comment on the OP, seems like a wum.
    But the hysterical responses take the biscuit.

Everybody pays who isn't entitled to NHS treatment?

Perhaps the posters saying that should contact the BBC as they did this report where the estimated least amount lost on "health tourism" over the last four years alone, is 40 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19789397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    That's tied to your issue with the NHS and councils publishing materials in other languages how? You're assuming that all legit tourists, visitors, students, business people and all on various visas can read and speak fluent English. Rather arrogant of you to believe that the world revolves around the English language, don't you think?

So what's wrong with them contacting their embassy in the UK? That's what you do when you get into trouble abroad - contact your embassy. Why is it automatically the UKs responsibility?
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    People who pay should get the treatment, those who make a living from signing on every week should not, people from abroad have to pay as they have no option unlike the millions of career unemployed in the U.K who have paid nothing into the system but expect a freebee just because they were born here. The NHS does not run on thin air so I welcome paying foreign patients who in turn fund the service unlike some who think its their god given right to free health care paid by others.

Can you provide a link to back up your claims that there " millions " of career unemployed :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the NHS doing to recover the money or do they run as soon as they get slapped with a human rights claim?

I understand dialysis treatment can cost £100,000 per person.

We have our legal team chasing down the non payers but once they have returned home in 90% of cases we have to write of the monies due, health tourism is a big problem but some wish it to be swept under the carpet, currently I'd say there is outstanding 80 million due to the NHS in the UK from those that have been treated and fled, granted some of the amount is being carried over but still that's a lot of money that could have been spent treating those here in the UK that pay for the NHS.

Dialysis treatment is expense, not sure the yearly cost is but like many other treatments its essential and that is where the funding should go.

Some will say 80 million is peanuts when compared to the total NHS budget but when said budget is being squeezed that 80 million can make a difference to the service we provide.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Arrogant to think that English in England should be the default, no exceptions?

Would have thought it's far more arrogant to go to a foreign country and expect that country to make provision for your language.
    Something that's always quickly pointed out by FM slagging off the "British abroad" and something I agree with.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    His refuses to acknowledge fact, preferring to rely on his baseless opinions. Just a heads up in case anyone else gets sucked into his nonsense.

I dont think other threads and who said what on other threads should be quoted here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps the posters saying that should contact the BBC as they did this report where the estimated least amount lost on "health tourism" over the last four years alone, is 40 million.

Estimated amount is much higher, it does not include amounts carried over or monies due but eventually written off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, not Rowan again :(

Based on your ridiculous posts in the Rebecca Alington thread and now the above, you're either a very poor troll or just plain ignorant. The notion of free treatment for all and sundry is clearly a myth, as per the many posts in this thread on the subject yet you're talking as if the OP was actually speaking the truth and Johnny Foreigner can simply stoll up to any NHS hospital and receive free treatment regardless of his nationality or place of residence.

Please try reading the thread in full. It's quite enlightening.

:yawn:
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately it does go on, and the NHS can ill afford it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So they should not be getting the treatment then but the hospitals are incompetent at doing the checks?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's wrong with them contacting their embassy in the UK? That's what you do when you get into trouble abroad - contact your embassy. Why is it automatically the UKs responsibility?
    It's not what you should do in those countries with which the UK has a reciprocal health agreement.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you provide a link to back up your claims that there " millions " of career unemployed :confused:
    you need a link do you? what country have you been living in for the past 20 years if you need a link for that sort of information?:rolleyes:
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a question I am not sure about, if we have a reciprocal agreement with Spain, why am I required to take out travel insurance to cover health problems whilst I am there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant be arsed explaing about reciprocal agreements and EU Health cards .Google it if you want to learn something

It's not the eu health cards or reciprocal agreements we have with other nations I'm peeved about, I should have been more clearly in my posts I'm referring to the health tourism from those nations where we don't have said agreements with.

When I worked in a london hospital 9 yrs ago we had a big problem with yanks some of who were treated after falling ill at Heathrow, always complaint about the NHS but they got treated and in a few cases their insurance companies refused to pony up.

Like immigration, welfare I believe we need a fresh approach to the problems that they have, I actually worry one day the NHS may not be free at the point of use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It's not what you should do in those countries with which the UK has a reciprocal health agreement.

There aren't that many countries in the world that are part of the reciprocal agreement its a minority. What about persons from countries not part of the agreement? They're expected to pay aren't they? If not not then who decides who should or should not pay.?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading up on the EHIF it seems in most European countries UK citizens can get free treatment or get a refund but in Portugal:
    [Hospital treatmentShow your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate to the hospital authorities and ask to be treated under EU arrangements. Basic hospital treatment is free but you will have to pay for secondary examinations, such as X-rays, and laboratory tests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading up on the EHIF it seems in most European countries UK citizens can get free treatment or get a refund but in Portugal:

Spain are changing things regarding health as well due to the austerity measures, as time goes by I believe it will be limited to basic emergency care the billed for everything else if not a permanent resident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And some NHS hospitals have had to shut departments, like A&E, because the Trusts have over spent...ie the reality that you can't treat everyone for nothing finally hit home.

I know it's taking the thread of topic but if we culled the boards and CEO's of the many health trusts then we could prevent the need for significant cutbacks to services, NHS is top heavy with management.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrogant to think that English in England should be the default, no exceptions?

Would have thought it's far more arrogant to go to a foreign country and expect that country to make provision for your language.
    Something that's always quickly pointed out by FM slagging off the "British abroad" and something I agree with.

1. Many countries do avail their public information materials in English.
    2. Many English-language tourists overseas do expect something in English, especially when at hospital. It stands to reason that people of those countries would expect the same from us here.
    3. What's wrong with availing materials in other languages for people who pay for the services? This is a crucial question that you and Rowan Hedge still haven't addressed with any good dose of common sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP isn't a very nice person.