Adele 'tempted' to sign $10 million dollar cosmetics contract & move to LA

Comments

• The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't abide her music, but fair play to her for her success, and if someone waved a cheque in my face for $10million I'd be the biggest hypocrite going.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone who goes to the Grammy's wearing a dress that wouldn't look amiss on a DFS sofa need worry about growing a thicker skin.

Sadly - I am one of those who is quite envious of her money. Sorry - but all of that 'money doesn't buy you everything' malarky is just rubbish.

It really isn't though. Just ask quite a few lottery winners who their wins have brought nothing but unhappiness to.

Her little boy will possibly grow up with bodyguards surrounding him and if she relocates to the US, kidnap is always a possibility. Perhaps that's what's worrying her and why she's kept him out of the public eye.

When that kind of money becomes a worry and not a pleasure to use it buy anything you want, and it definitely doesn't buy you peace of mind. No, I don't envy her money, I wouldn't want the worry it brings with it.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    It really isn't though. Just ask quite a few lottery winners who their wins have brought nothing but unhappiness to.
    Yes - but imagine (God forbid) you have sick child that needs life saving surgery in the US. You're more likely to see your child live if you have lots of money. In some cases - money CAN buy you good health.

OK - it may not make you happy all the time but it certainly makes life a lot easier - without the constant worry of what lies ahead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Some people don't think she's a good singer

So who is a good singer? Lady Gaga? :sleep:
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money changes people, simples...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - but imagine (God forbid) you have sick child that needs life saving surgery in the US. You're more likely to see your child live if you have lots of money. In some cases - money CAN buy you good health.

OK - it may not make you happy all the time but it certainly makes life a lot easier - without the constant worry of what lies ahead.

True - and money makes misery a lot easier to bear.....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeshEmpty wrote: »
    So who is a good singer? Lady Gaga? :sleep:

Er, no. And neither is Adele IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Er, no. And neither is Adele IMO.

So who the hell is a good singer?
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously :D at the thread, people feeling sorry for Adele because of the potential burden her vast wealth will place on her ahahahahaha. :D

Only on DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, all serious offers she gets go through her management and I'm sure they will be discussed with her manager. But if she want advice about fashion I don't think she talks with Jonathan Dickins about that.

One of the most important people for her, is Michael Ashton, her make up and hair stylist. He has that Job now for three or four years. He is much responsible for her look in the public.

And you can be sure he provides her with the best products. If she makes a commercial for Dior or whatever than only with his advice and only with the best fashion line and not Diet Cola:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the hype over Adele, she has a good voice yeah I get that but all these awards she is winning for her drab boring repetitive songs?? and she has only released two albums.
    Yet she just became huge in the US so quickly, I think the US market is fickle though they love you then drop you just as quick.
    Look at Ricky Gervais all these UK celebs get a lot of attention and their careers get huge for a while then they come back to earth with a bang and come back to the UK shores and it all reverses for them.

Her next album will never live up to the last one, her career as the big fat UK gobby one who sang like Amy Winehouse will be short lived. Also winning an Oscar for that crappy Bond song was unbelievable. I reckon she has done/won too much too soon, it's too much to live up to.

Also Amy dying helped her career which is sad, Amy Winehouse had a better voice and her albums were not bland and suicide inducing.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    I don't get the hype over Adele, she has a good voice yeah I get that but all these awards she is winning for her drab boring repetitive songs?? and she has only released two albums.
    Yet she just became huge in the US so quickly, I think the US market is fickle though they love you then drop you just as quick.
    Look at Ricky Gervais all these UK celebs get a lot of attention and their careers get huge for a while then they come back to earth with a bang and come back to the UK shores and it all reverses for them.

Her next album will never live up to the last one, her career as the big fat UK gobby one who sang like Amy Winehouse will be short lived. Also winning an Oscar for that crappy Bond song was unbelievable. I reckon she has done/won too much too soon, it's too much to live up to.

Also Amy dying helped her career which is sad, Amy Winehouse had a better voice and her albums were not bland and suicide inducing.

do people compare them:confused:, totally different IMO apart from both being British female singers. I like Adele and also love Amy Winehouse both very talented ladies
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - I completely agree with that, there is no doubt in my mind that Adele has gained popularity because of it.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that's all very interesting and i'm pleased for you you've found somewhere to express yourself, but what does it have to do with the thread?:p
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - I completely agree with that, there is no doubt in my mind that Adele has gained popularity because of it.

interesting theory, i'm not sure how that would work or where the evidence for it is though..so how you have no doubt i'm not sure.

21 had already taken off worldwide months before Amy died, and was six moths into its domination so there has to be a teeny weeny bit of doubt about that. It might even be complete bollox;)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting theory, i'm not sure how that would work or where the evidence for it is though..so how you have no doubt i'm not sure.

21 had already taken off worldwide months before Amy died, and was six moths into its domination so there has to be a teeny weeny bit of doubt about that. It might even be complete bollox;)

^ That one. And no 'might' about it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did say in my mind, and I'm sticking with it - bollox or not :)

And in those months leading up to her death, Amy was a complete mess. Getting booed off stage for being hammered etc. It's little wonder that 21 took off - Amy was too wrecked to show any competition at that time.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I did say in my mind, and I'm sticking with it - bollox or not :)

And in those months leading up to her death, Amy was a complete mess. Getting booed off stage for being hammered etc. It's little wonder that 21 took off - Amy was too wrecked to show any competition at that time.

Seen some bizarre reasons for Adele's incredible success over the last couple of years (one I read even suggested it was the worldwide recession FFS!) but Amy dying is a new one even to me. Seriously, isn't it about time some of you just accepted that, whilst you don't rate her at all, many millions clearly do. '21' had already sold approx 8 million copies worldwide in the 5 months from release up to Amy's passing but if it makes you feel better keep thinking of these reasons for Adele's success that DON'T involve the fact she is immensely talented.

Brilliant as she was, Amy was never anywhere near as big a seller as Adele has proved to be - singles or albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Seen some bizarre reasons for Adele's incredible success over the last couple of years (one I read even suggested it was the worldwide recession FFS!) but Amy dying is a new one even to me. Seriously, isn't it about time some of you just accepted that, whilst you don't rate her at all, many millions clearly do. '21' had already sold approx 8 million copies worldwide in the 5 months from release up to Amy's passing but if it makes you feel better keep thinking of these reasons for Adele's success that DON'T involve the fact she is immensely talented.

Brilliant as she was, Amy was never anywhere near as big a seller as Adele has proved to be - singles or albums.

That's because Amy was plagued by alcohol and drug addiction, she wasn't strong enough to cope with success. She had no self confidence at all, poor girl was tortured by her demons.

A legend like Tony Bennett thought she was something special, and he would know.
    Forum Member
    That's because Amy was plagued by alcohol and drug addiction, she wasn't strong enough to cope with success. She had no self confidence at all, poor girl was tortured by her demons.

A legend like Tony Bennett thought she was something special, and he would know.

What? I did say she was brilliant but again this is nonsense when comparing to Adele. '21' must be one of the least personally-promoted best selling albums in history (the woman isn't even seen anywhere for months and months on end let alone witnessed promoting the album). But, like I say, if it makes you feel better to think Adele's success is mostly down to Amy's passing then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when this 'theory' is shown up for the nonsense it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    What? I did say she was brilliant but again this is nonsense when comparing to Adele. '21' must be one of the least personally-promoted best selling albums in history (the woman isn't even seen anywhere for months and months on end let alone witnessed promoting the album). But, like I say, if it makes you feel better to think Adele's success is mostly down to Amy's passing then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when this 'theory' is shown up for the nonsense it is.

If you chill, and count to 10, you will see that I was referring to the highlighted section of your comment -

Amy was never anywhere near as big a seller as Adele has proved to be - singles or albums

It isn't rocket science why Amy wasn't as big a seller as Adele is it?

You think my 'theory' is nonsense, well touche :)
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Seriously :D at the thread, people feeling sorry for Adele because of the potential burden her vast wealth will place on her ahahahahaha. :D

Only on DS.

It does seem that some are more concerned with the fact that Adele can command $10m.

Given how she grew up and the financial issues her family faced, I would not begrudge her a penny that she could earn - any more than I would anyone else with a talent to make a huge amount of people feel something that they wanted to pay for.

Adele is hardly Kerry K, Pandre et al...making money for nothing more than a desire to overshare and media ****.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    21 year old says something, then changes her mind two years later...

What a shocker. Anyone would think you lot had never been young and hypocritical. Only plus is that you don't have a load of strangers scrutinising your every move on a music forum.

Get over it...
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to say that I remain immune to Adele, having so far avoided hearing even one of her songs.

If she does take this contract and the money I hope she'd have the humour to laugh at herself and call her next tour The Hypocrisy Tour or something.

I remember the Eagles saying that hell would freeze over before they reformed and toured again. When faced with disputes with their record companies which meant that singly they could not record and release material, they met up, found that things were not so bad between them now, reformed, and went out on tour. The name of the tour? The Hell Freezes Over tour! :D Oh - and their resulting album, Long Road Out Of Eden, a 2 disc effort, was superb! :)
    Forum Member
    If you chill, and count to 10, you will see that I was referring to the highlighted section of your comment -

Amy was never anywhere near as big a seller as Adele has proved to be - singles or albums

It isn't rocket science why Amy wasn't as big a seller as Adele is it?

You think my 'theory' is nonsense, well touche :)

It certainly isn't - it's because she was never as immensely popular as Adele is right now. Simples. ;)