Most annoying terms in tabloid papers

Comments

• phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    Worse still, when they say a couple's marriage is "on the rocks". I always think of a drink when they say that!

I say! Mine's a Marriage on the Rocks, with a Twist of Infidelity :p
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dons or donned.

It was freezing this morning so to protect myself against the weather I donned a jaunty hat whilst stepping out to cheer on my son's football team.

I really should have tipped off the paps
  • Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal favourites have already been mentioned: "tot" and "wed". Two words never, ever used in real speech.

Another from the sports pages: "spurned" (as in "Walcott spurned an opportunity to go 1-0 up").

Spurned means to reject, contemptuously. The point being that it's a deliberate act. No-one deliberately fails to score a goal.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they describe someone has been 'left reeling' by something.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Funnyman'.

As in 'Funnyman Jonathon Ross', or 'Funnyman Chris Moyles'.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha Donna that is my favourite hate along with

"looks glum" when they are just walking down the street normally (as if they should be grinning like a cheshire cat)

Here we go again - Katy Perry "looks glum"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2241466/Katy-Perry-refuses-crack-smile-lands-Los-Angeles.html#comments
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Away from the celeb related ones, I hate the term "credit crunch." It made the recession sound like a chocolate bar.:confused:
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,926
    Forum Member
    The H wrote: »
    The one that always gets me is the pointless adding of the word "-gate" to any vague scandal.

How adding part of the name of an obscure Washington office block that featured in a 1970's crime is relevent in 2012 is completely beyond me.
    This reached its apex with the Andrew Mitchell Gate-gate scandal! :D
  • Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    'Slammed'. In other words, 'said something vaguely critical'.
    rachelgata wrote: »
    When someone "slams" another zeleb. In reality this usually means they referred to them in a slightly negative way or perhaps didn't fully agree with something they did or said. But no, they have to be described as SLAMMING them, which conjures up images of extreme physical violence.

Also, the "icy blasts" and "plummeting temperatures" we get when it goes a little bit chilly.
    'Slams' and 'Blasts'.

I've never heard real people actually use those words in the context tabloids do.

As quoted already - Slams / Slammed!!

My absolute pet hate! :mad:

Even DS use it! :o
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a celebrity is visiting someone in hospital they are "on a mercy dash"

If a baby has died they are "tragic tot".
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'is now a happy size ten'.....under an article about weightloss regarding some woman who is clearly a deluded size 18+

'enviable figure'...'famous curves'....or any term at all applied to Carol Vorderman in yet another dress that is two sizes too small....
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    This one is more news rather than showbiz based but whenever there is snow the media call it 'The cold snap' What the hell is that about?!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'experimenting with drugs'
  • EurovisionDaveEurovisionDave Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    "Nookie"

You get the feeling the tabloids really miss the Carry On Films.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one is slightly off-topic, as it's something which annoyed me when reading teenage magazines years ago but I saw it recently in a tabloid's showbiz section. I wonder if magazines still do this?

In the showbiz pages, when talking about someone in a pop group, the writer replaces their surname with the name of the group. I think the one I saw the other day was "Tom McFly". You could also have, for example, "Marvin JLS", "Rochelle Saturdays", or "Jessy Little Mix"...ugh.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they speak about money of a value of £1m or higher....

"....Lottery winner wins a cool 3 million", or "Tom Cruise is estimated to earn a cool 10 million".
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one that the broadsheets do (probably the tabloids do too) -
    'Number 10 has announced.......'
    No. Number 10 is a cardinal number and incapable of announcing anything. Do you mean 'Number 10 Downing Street has announced.....'? Still wrong. It's a building. You actually mean 'The Prime Minister's press office has issued a statement' or maybe 'A spokesperson for the Prime Minister has announced....'. Not that hard, really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been a journey :rolleyes:
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If something has happened to a member of the public in their house e.g. a fire, burglary or a serious incident then for some reason the tabloids need to mention the value of the house as if it somehow has any bearing on our sympathy with the victim i.e. ...'the £700,000 cottage was destroyed in the fire' or 'the victim's £250,000 house was cordoned off'.
  • EurovisionDaveEurovisionDave Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    A celebrity is referred to as "Big-Hearted" if said celebrity appears at the Pride of Britiain awards, or makes a donation to the charity (accompanied by an oversized cheque)
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Women being referred to as telly babe or TV beauty before their name.
    Examples in the sun today 'ex celeb big brother babe Danielle '
    'Reality show beauty Kim kardashian' and 'telly beauty kirsty gallacher '
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    'Credible'
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Women being referred to as telly babe or TV beauty before their name.
    Examples in the sun today 'ex celeb big brother babe Danielle '
    'Reality show beauty Kim kardashian' and 'telly beauty kirsty gallacher '

Yup.
    Although judging by the DM' s obsession with the woman, I'm not sure whether "fat-arsed slapper" Kim Kardashian would go down too well with their readership.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,836
    Forum Member
    "covers up" - it's called being dressed to go out.