Most annoying terms in tabloid papers

Comments

• ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup.
    Although judging by the DM' s obsession with the woman, I'm not sure whether "fat-arsed slapper" Kim Kardashian would go down too well with their readership.

Actually the readership regularly question the DM's obsession with the Cardassians - I can only assume the americans like the coverage.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    The H wrote: »
    The one that always gets me is the pointless adding of the word "-gate" to any vague scandal.

How adding part of the name of an obscure Washington office block that featured in a 1970's crime is relevent in 2012 is completely beyond me.

Yeah, that is somewhat annoying, although it does make it easier to talk about scandals lol.
  • plutoniumblondeplutoniumblonde Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Not sure if these terms have been used but mine are the overuse of the words 'legend' and 'hero'.

'Legend' Bruce Forsyth - usually denoting when people are old.

'Hero' David Beckham - I like football, but DB is not a hero and stop using these words, to describe him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "romps"
    when they mean Sex

"Camp" when its about a Gay person
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they refer to someone who is openly gay as 'the gay star'.
    What the hell does it have to do with anything.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they are talking about a pop star, say Jessie J, and refer to them as 'the Price Tag singer' etc. I don't know why but it annoys me!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one which I've been reminded of is "the cutest couple in showbiz". This is currently being used for that most genuine of pairings, Taylor Swift and Harry Styles.
    decobelle wrote: »
    When they are talking about a pop star, say Jessie J, and refer to them as 'the Price Tag singer'

It might be for the benefit of people who don't know Jessie J by name but are familiar with the song. Alternatively it could be a way of showing that she's worthy of having a story written about her. "You remember Jessie J? She did that "Price Tag" song which was huge. She's a superstar, so let's talk about what she was wearing yesterday!"
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    `a perfectly placed source`.:o
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »
    "Camp" when its about a Gay person

Or someone they think should be gay eg Robbie Williams, David Waliams etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the DM insist on using the word 'beau' for a celeb's boy/girlfriend??! Sounds like something out of Jane Austen! :rolleyes:
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "smitten"
    "cosy"
    "the loved up pair"
    "couldn't keep their hands off each other"
    "stunning"
    "only had eyes for each other"

This is stuff form the 1940's manual.

"a source said"

"a pal said"

Die newspapers, die.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Another one which I've been reminded of is "the cutest couple in showbiz". This is currently being used for that most genuine of pairings, Taylor Swift and Harry Styles.

What I love about stuff like this is the nauseating/constant 'You simple lot WILL believe it, you WILL!'

Lol, no I won't.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Matching outfits'. An imbecilic favourite of the DM. Usually accompanied by pics of 2 people wearing... clothing.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    What I love about stuff like this is the nauseating/constant 'You simple lot WILL believe it, you WILL!'

Lol, no I won't.

My boyfriend does. His middle name is gullible. If one of these rags calls say, Amy Childs stunning - then she is stunning! :rolleyes:

God help me..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    "smitten"
    "cosy"
    "the loved up pair"
    "couldn't keep their hands off each other"
    "stunning"
    "only had eyes for each other"

Ha ha! It's like a template for writing your own celebrity romance report!
    My boyfriend does. His middle name is gullible.

Did he tell you that and you believed him? ;)
  • VelveteenVelveteen Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    "The smile that says..." seems to be a current DM website obsession applied whenever a celeb is looking remotely cheerful.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Football hacks love this one:

"To keep their fading hopes alive"
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    "roly poly" - fat.

Example - "roly poly DJ Chris Moyles"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we had 'smitten'. Everyone is 'smitten'. Another "who says that?"

Anothe one is 'combo'. A shirt and tie 'combo'. We all say that don't we? :D (Sorry if it's been posted)

I'm so 'miffed' about it all aren't you? :p
  • TonyOtherTonyOther Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    `a perfectly placed source`.:o

That is the bloody person themselves being talked about. It happens all the time, people being contacted by the gossip columnists and confirming this, that and t'other (usually that they have just bought a pair of shoes) and then being described as 'a perfectily placed source'. Another popular one is 'a close friend'. No, it isn't, it's the bloody publicity-seeking bastard the hack is writing about.
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend does. His middle name is gullible. If one of these rags calls say, Amy Childs stunning - then she is stunning! :rolleyes:

God help me..

Actually, it's not just the papers who use that ploy: PC World, Asda, Tesco and many others will shout at you from very large posters: 'OUTSTANDING VALUE!', 'FANTASTIC SAVINGS', 'HUGE PRICE CUTS!' etc. I once in PC World I asked a staff member to poin me in the direction of a price cut and at first he said 'they were everywhere' and when I pressed him, he admitted he didn't know of any but they were most certainly somewhere in the store. Pillocks.
    Forum Member
    Velveteen wrote: »
    "The smile that says..." seems to be a current DM website obsession applied whenever a celeb is looking remotely cheerful.

Seems like a lot of people read the DM on this thread. I thought you all hated it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "roly poly" - fat.

"Larger than life" - morbidly obese
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way ages are always given annoys me. ' Mrs Bloggs ( 72) said that she saw the thief ( 19) running through Mr Jones's ( 43) garden past his dog ( 5).

Also, they have pensioner mania. They hardly ever say ' a middle aged bloke' or ' a young woman' but if someone's a granny- it's always,mentioned. They rarely bother about grandad labelling though.

Then there's ' chowed down' when they mean 'had a meal'. I hate that one.

' partying' - getting drunk as a skunk
    'cosying up ' - all over each other, get a room.
    ' letting their hair down' - drink, drugs, sex, falling unconscious in gutter etc.

hunk' - z lister with his shirt off, looking gormless

'unlucky in love' - either ditched by someone again or he/she is at it with anyone.

' celeb' - usually someone famous for doing nothing interesting or worthwhile.

'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Troubled star/celebrity meaning anything from alcoholic, drug addict, anorexic, bah polaar or off their head generally.