From up on Poppy Hill - UK release?

jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know if this is getting a release in the UK anytime soon?

I'm quite a fan of Studio Ghibli (of the few films I've seen) and this sounds like something I'd like.

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This July, but it's not officially confirmed. It's definitely due to be out this summer, anyway.
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool, thanks Takae. Bit annoying though, it's out in the US this week I think...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this! I was sure I read March somewhere but that was probably the US realease. :( I'm just about to watch Tales From Earthsea, never seen it before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this film when it comes out. 2 weeks ago I watched some Studio Ghibli films with a couple of friends keen to introduce me to the studio, and over the past 2 weeks I watched plenty more thanks to Film4's Studio Ghibli season. I'm not an absolutely huge fan or anything but I've definitely enjoyed most of them (Tales From Earthsea was a bit dull for me admittedly) and I am curious to see the ones I haven't seen. I've still got a few more to watch but my favourite so far is Castle In The Sky. :)

I'm aware From Up On Poppy Hill is directed by Goro Miyazaki (who directed Tales From Earthsea as his first film) but this film has had much better reviews so far. My mates and I shall definitely be going to see it in the summer. :)

Here's one of the trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vfzhfq5JA
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was passed by the bbfc for UK cinema release today, they're listing the release date as 9th August.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/poppy-hill-2013-0
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sooooooooo gotta watch this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing this film when it comes out. 2 weeks ago I watched some Studio Ghibli films with a couple of friends keen to introduce me to the studio, and over the past 2 weeks I watched plenty more thanks to Film4's Studio Ghibli season. I'm not an absolutely huge fan or anything but I've definitely enjoyed most of them (Tales From Earthsea was a bit dull for me admittedly) and I am curious to see the ones I haven't seen. I've still got a few more to watch but my favourite so far is Castle In The Sky. :)

I'm aware From Up On Poppy Hill is directed by Goro Miyazaki (who directed Tales From Earthsea as his first film) but this film has had much better reviews so far. My mates and I shall definitely be going to see it in the summer. :)

Thanks for that! :D Can't wait to see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was much the same with Ghibli. I had seen Spirited Away, Ponyo and Arrietty before, but no others. The Film4 season really helped and I've still got some more saved.

I think my favourite is My Neighbour Totoro - I absolutely want one! I suggest checking out the supposed hidden meaning to the film, although it may shatter your impression of the film... For me though, I thought it was really clever and the film had deeper meaning for me.

Thanks for all the info on FUOPH too, really looking forward to that!

Finally, Ghibli is awesome. Would love to see the museum in Tokyo one day...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was much the same with Ghibli. I had seen Spirited Away, Ponyo and Arrietty before, but no others. The Film4 season really helped and I've still got some more saved.

I think my favourite is My Neighbour Totoro - I absolutely want one! I suggest checking out the supposed hidden meaning to the film, although it may shatter your impression of the film... For me though, I thought it was really clever and the film had deeper meaning for me.

Thanks for all the info on FUOPH too, really looking forward to that!

Finally, Ghibli is awesome. Would love to see the museum in Tokyo one day...

I take it you mean the theory about
    Totoro being a god of death and Satsuki and Mei being thought to have died etc? I read up on it just now and it does seem slightly credible, but honestly I think the general concept is all too far-fetched for me personally to accept, especially when the creatures look so happy and the film seems so light-hearted. :p Interesting, though

Once my last exam for the second year of my uni degree is out of the way after Friday, I'll try and get round to watching Arrietty on DVD, then after that I'll probably order Kiki's Delivery Service. I've probably mentioned it before, but I've noticed that it has an even higher Rotten Tomatoes rating than Spirited Away, so I'm definitely keen to watch it.

It's a shame that FUOPH doesn't come out in cinemas 'til August, but on the bright side I guess it's more time to seek out other Ghibli films first. ;)

Oh, almost forgot: on Sunday I bought a Nausicaa comic (the first one) from a bookshop. Having seen the film, it'll be interesting to see the manga it was inspired by. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasnt this been on some sites for ages?? Even the blu ray, or order it from abroad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totoro being a god of death and Satsuki and Mei being thought to have died etc? I read up on it just now and it does seem slightly credible, but honestly I think the general concept is all too far-fetched for me personally to accept, especially when the creatures look so happy and the film seems so light-hearted. :p Interesting, though

Once my last exam for the second year of my uni degree is out of the way after Friday, I'll try and get round to watching Arrietty on DVD, then after that I'll probably order Kiki's Delivery Service. I've probably mentioned it before, but I've noticed that it has an even higher Rotten Tomatoes rating than Spirited Away, so I'm definitely keen to watch it.

It's a shame that FUOPH doesn't come out in cinemas 'til August, but on the bright side I guess it's more time to seek out other Ghibli films first. ;)

Oh, almost forgot: on Sunday I bought a Nausicaa comic (the first one) from a bookshop. Having seen the film, it'll be interesting to see the manga it was inspired by. :)

I'm watching it now in the English dub which I didn't realise they had done, the last time I saw it was in American. I'll need to get the subtitled version now so I can see all three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's the one I mean ;-)

I still have Nausicaa and Only Yesterday recorded from Easter, so hoping I can get round to watching those soon.

Any of you seen the news about Ghibli moving into live-action...?

My friend went over to Tokyo recently and saw the Ghibli museum - so jealous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the one I mean ;-)

I still have Nausicaa and Only Yesterday recorded from Easter, so hoping I can get round to watching those soon.

Any of you seen the news about Ghibli moving into live-action...?

My friend went over to Tokyo recently and saw the Ghibli museum - so jealous!

Yeah I heard the rumour about Kiki's Delivery Service getting a live-action remake, but I haven't got round to buying the original yet so I'll have to do that first. :p Today, though, I did manage to pick up Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies and Panda! Go Panda! (pre-Ghibli), which I'm very happy with. I could've got Castle in the Sky too but my friend (also a Ghibli fan) spotted it first. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the double-post guys, but here's an interesting article to look at:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-04-26/from-up-on-poppy-hill-scheduled-for-u.k-cinema-release-august-2

Basically, FUOPH will apparently come out on 2nd August in the UK. Also, there may well be cinema screenings of Totoro and GotF in the next few weeks for their 25th anniversary. Certainly worth keeping an eye on your local cinemas, I reckon. ;)
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I sooooooooo gotta watch this!

Oh yes you have !!! :)

Went to the cinema this morning to see it. Has all the qualities you expect from a Ghibli film plus an excellent storyline and soundtrack. I shall definitely buy the DVD when it's released.

Not to be missed film for any Ghibli fan.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That theory is so far off the road that it's not funny. :D It's a modern riff on a Shinto folklore. Every creature in the film represents a component of the nature, which is a basis of traditional/folk children's stories.

But I'm responding to an old post, so I shouldn't elaborate on MFT any further, in case it may bore your pants off, but I am happy to explain if there's still interest.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times. It seems a shame that it's been dubbed into English as opposed to being subtitled. Is it because it's a children's film?
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I've seen the trailer for this a couple of times. It seems a shame that it's been dubbed into English as opposed to being subtitled. Is it because it's a children's film?

I find subtitles a major distraction. Poppy Hill is dubbed in American English but this did not impact one bit on my enjoyment of the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's OK

the best Ghibli film that isn't deep and meaningful is Kiki's Messenger Service, I think

and the Totoro thing isn't right, but it makes you have to think why not? which makes it even better

<edit> sorry Kiki's Delivery Service