55" 3D led smart tv under £1400 (with 5 year warranty)

Hi just wondering what the opinions are on here of the tv's available in this price range.

The ones i have seen are such as the:

LG 55LM670

Samsung 6800

Also have seen the Finlux 55" smart tv but cannot find any online reviews of them, I know they are vestel built (which if white goods are anything to go by isnt a great thing), Anybody got a view or any knowledge of them ? the prices are ridiculously low.

http://www.finluxdirect.com/smart-tvs/icat/smarttvs/?sort=price&parentCategoryRef=smarttvs&order=ascend&q=*&pdxtsize=55''

Anything else anybody could recommend ? (Must not be plasma)

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get your hopes up for the "Smart" tv features: apart from Iplayer they're a waste of time.
    I have a 42" LG passive 3D tv and it's very good. Sky 3D is something of a disappoinment though: boring documentaries repeated ad nauseum and most of the movies are PPV.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump, nothing anybody ?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    chimp, the problem is that I could help you but all I would do is search using a well known search engine and you can do this yourself and then you can field questions from members who want a new TV. You might as well just visit review sites like TechRadar and then go to the shops and look at the TVs yourself. The four top brands are Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG and if I were you I would pick one of these.

I'm not being rude or anything and I can see you are a long term and probably well respected member of DS. Before I bought my Samsung D6530, although I had been studying flat screen TV tech improvements since 2003 I didn't have a clue which model to buy, and I spent ages checking out reviews and then went to several shops and looked at loads of TVs. That's because I'm not interested in what other members would recommend because they're not me, if you see what I mean.

I would tentatively suggest buying from John Lewis or Richer Sound and I would second the opinion that Smart TVs are overrated. Although that's just my opinion. It depends what you want the TV for and each manufacturer/model combination is different. It's all so subjective and what for one member is good for them another member might think is rubbish and like a different one entirely. How do you know which one is the best. You don't!

I'll probably get shot down in flames now, but that's life! I'm a bit puzzled as well as I note you already have a 50inch 1080p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same Samsung model as u and I would agree that the "smart" side of it is indeed overrated, Choosing a new TV can be difficult.

The first thing I looked at was picture quality. I wasn't too bothered about the SD side of it as I never watch SD content. Next was the connection side of it. Did it have what I needed to connect the equipment I have at home. I even took a couple of BluRay discs with me to see what the PQ was like during playback (although I did feel as if I was putting the sales assistant out) if u know what I mean. I see it is, if I/We are gonna spend a fortune on a new TV then I'd like to know it's the right choice for me and if that means asking for the remote to change it from the awful shop setting or taking your own discs with u then so be it. We shouldn't be made to feel awkward just because we wanna test a tv before we commit to purchasing it and parting with our hard earned cash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    chimp, the problem is that I could help you but all I would do is search using a well known search engine and you can do this yourself and then you can field questions from members who want a new TV. You might as well just visit review sites like TechRadar and then go to the shops and look at the TVs yourself. The four top brands are Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and LG and if I were you I would pick one of these.

I'm not being rude or anything and I can see you are a long term and probably well respected member of DS. Before I bought my Samsung D6530, although I had been studying flat screen TV tech improvements since 2003 I didn't have a clue which model to buy, and I spent ages checking out reviews and then went to several shops and looked at loads of TVs. That's because I'm not interested in what other members would recommend because they're not me, if you see what I mean.

I would tentatively suggest buying from John Lewis or Richer Sound and I would second the opinion that Smart TVs are overrated. Although that's just my opinion. It depends what you want the TV for and each manufacturer/model combination is different. It's all so subjective and what for one member is good for them another member might think is rubbish and like a different one entirely. How do you know which one is the best. You don't!

I'll probably get shot down in flames now, but that's life! I'm a bit puzzled as well as I note you already have a 50inch 1080p.
    First of all I tried the 50" plasma I have in the position where I want the tv and as its a plasma and there is quite a bit of light on this particular wall it is just too reflective, it's like a mirror on the wall, I have knocked through my kitchen dining room though and have a wall for it to go on in there that doesn't have light on it.

As for the new tv the main reason for asking on here is that there are a lot of more knowledgable people than me on here, I put up the two best as I can see and was hoping for either someone to approve of or give me reasons why not to get or even an alternative, then there's always the fact that there could be a bargain somewhere that I might have missed :o

Both richer sounds and John Lewis are on the radar, it's just a matter of making a final decision and parting with the hard earned :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go checkout the Samsung range. There are some amazing deals to be had on the larger models. Some people on here would tell u to steer clear of Samsung but if ur getting a free 5 year warranty then there's nothing to worry about. When I was shopping around looking for a new TV, I looked at Samsung and LG models (I had a Sony Bravia at the time but wanted a change) but imo, there wasn't a lot of difference between the two.

Of course, at the end of the day, the final choice is entirely yours but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Samsung.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    I got the Panny 50 " VT 30 for £ 900 at Costco with 5 year warranty

very pleased with it , but its smaller than you want
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I'll add that the smart features aren't that great. Best get a stand alone smart box like a Roku or should I mention the erm newer YouView boxes?
  • NeilnjonesNeilnjones Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Sony 55 KDL-55HX853BU LE £1509 John Lewis 5 year warranty
    TV of the Year
    Superb picture
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Neilnjones wrote: »
    TV of the Year
    Superb picture

Not sure that's under £1,400 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV of the Year
    Superb picture
    It's £30 cheaper in richer sounds with a 5 year warranty and theyre throwing in 22 bond films on blu-ray too, though as pointed out its over the £1400 max that the mrs is enforcing.
    Forum Member
    Get round the enforcement by making it an early Xmas present.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    buy an optoma hd33 projector £1000 10 ft electric screen £350
    then you will have an hd 120" stunning 3D propper home cinema...need i say more ?
    job done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get round the enforcement by making it an early Xmas present.
    Screen is too reflective so that ones out.

:(
    Forum Member
    OK chimp I've taken pity on you so here's a few options.

You could buy the Samsung 55 inch 6800. It's a very good TV and 2nd best. To get below your £1400 ceiling you'd have to buy it from a retailer other than Richer Sound or John Lewis and buy a separate 5yr gtee.

Richer Sound are doing a deal on another Samsung, the UE55ES6560 but you'd have to check out reviews yourself and you have to 'phone em to find the price as there's only a few left.

The LG LM670 is OK but the SD picture isn't very good and the HD only slightly better.The 3D is passive so you won't get as much depth as you would from active. Which say it is better than the KM670. I haven't checked the prices though.

John Lewis are currently selling the Sony Bravia KDL55HX753BU with a 5yr gtee for £1279 and this is the best of the bunch. According to Which it has an excellent HD picture and the SD is pretty good too. It has a better HD picture than the Samsung 6800. There is no VGA input for a PC and the HDMI only supports 3 TV resolutions (for PC).

The SMART function is better than Samsung. It has optical digital out as well as analogue audio out via headphone and line out. It falls down on the menu system and the remote is awkward to hold.

As regards your screen reflectivity issue. You could buy a 55 inch anti-glare screen for £139 with a 15 day money back g'tee if you are not happy, here: http://www.thescreenprotector.co.uk/acatalog/index.html. I haven't a clue whether they are any good though. You'd have to try it out.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lewis are currently selling the Sony Bravia KDL55HX753BU with a 5yr gtee for £1279 and this is the best of the bunch. According to Which it has an excellent HD picture and the SD is pretty good too. It has a better HD picture than the Samsung 6800. There is no VGA input for a PC and the HDMI only supports 3 TV resolutions.

Surely the BIB can't be right?
    Forum Member
    What's BIB? I've done an edit re the 3 resolutions, does this answer your query?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Surely the BIB can't be right?

HDMI normally only supports a small range of resolutions, there's no need for anything else.

Usually VGA resolutions are severely limited on TV's as well, and very often don't even support the native resolution of the panel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HDMI normally only supports a small range of resolutions, there's no need for anything else.

Yes but 3 seems too small, I would expect 4 - 1080, 720, 576 and 480 lines.

Which one is it missing if it only does 3? (Obviously it will do 1080 and 720 so one of 576 or 480 will only work if upscaled by the source).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's BIB? I've done an edit re the 3 resolutions, does this answer your query?

BIB is Bit In Bold. I'm surprised it only does 3, I would have expected 4 to handle both "PAL" and "NTSC".
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    BIB is Bit In Bold. I'm surprised it only does 3, I would have expected 4 to handle both "PAL" and "NTSC".

I would imagine it probably does, but as it's not a UK system it possibly wouldn't be mentioned in the specs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV of the Year
    Superb picture

I've gone for this one in the end, got it for £1499 with free blu-ray player, 2 pairs of glasses, 23 bond films on blu-ray, the spiderman films on blu-ray and a five year Sony warranty.

Just hope it's not too reflective on the wall when it turns up :o