What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A book of short sci fi stories from 'Astounding sci-fi' magazine', I've just finished one very sad story where a teenage girl stowaway has to be ejected into space because her weight means the medical supply ship wont reach its life saving destination in time. Really good ethical dilemma tale...both characters are good people, ...but one has to do a terrible thing to the other to save many lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I'm reading the play A streetcar named desire at the moment.. It's the amateur actress in me, I love reading plays!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KitKat21 wrote: »
    No, they're not a series - you can just pick and choose. I'd recommend One Cold Night to start with, just because it's my favourite!

Thanks have ordered a copy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^ me too! Looks good from the Amazon blurb and can't really say no for 77p!! :D
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Thanks have ordered a copy :)
    poppycat wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^ me too! Looks good from the Amazon blurb and can't really say no for 77p!! :D

Hope you both enjoy it!
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Six Suspects' by Vikas Swarup (author of Slumdog Millionnaire). It's pretty awful. I don't think I'm going to finish it.

Luckily I also have 'The Accident' by Linwood Barclay on the go too. That's much better.
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First & Only - Peter Flannery
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins, 3rd book in the Hunger Games series and even though I'm not a youngster anymore have thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of the books
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Reading 'Angelfall' by Susan Ee.

A 'young adult' book, and despite not being a 'young adult' it's not bad so far.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down -- Jo Brand
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.

Whilst ostensibly a children's book, it should be read by everyone. The story is beautifully written & illustrated and moved me to tears.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Just read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.

Whilst ostensibly a children's book, it should be read by everyone. The story is beautifully written & illustrated and moved me to tears.

Loved that book :cry: The most moving book I have ever read....
  • HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Linda Castillo- Sworn to Silence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11.22.63 by Stephen King. Only 525 pages to go .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Reacher - The Affair
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished Sister by Rosamund Lupton - I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Whilst I find her writing a bit sensationalist I do like them, and always want to get to the end to find out what happens!

Onto Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel next.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Showbusiness - Mark Ratcliffe
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Henry James: A life by Leon Edel.

Almost finished, amazing bio, a must for Henry James fans out there.

Next : The Old Wives' Tale - Arnold Bennett, do not know at all what to expect, quick review would be appreciated.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    First & Only - Peter Flannery

Are you enoying it? Someone in my work recommended it to me today.

Stuart MacBride -Dark Blood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniesou wrote: »
    11.22.63 by Stephen King. Only 525 pages to go .

What did you think of this ? been thinking about buying it :)
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dance with dragons. Half way through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Sleepers and Sleepers 2 by Jacqueline Druga. Wolfed them both in about 3 days, and can't wait for the 3rd part of the trilogy, although I can't find a date for it, other than 'autumn'. I've read alot of post apocalyptic novels and these were up there with some of the most enjoyable, and they're also Kindle cheapies too.

Now just over half way through One Cold Night by Katia Lief after starting it last night (thanks KitKat21 for the recommendation) and really enjoying it. Will definitely read more of hers after this one. :)

To the person asking about SK's 11.22.63 I'd say buy it! I thought it was fantastic, it does slow down in the middle but the excellent first third and last third make up for it and if it wasn't for the dip in the middle it would possibly be my favourite SK novel, and it would take one hell of a book to knock 'The Stand' from that number 1 position!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Just finished Sleepers and Sleepers 2 by Jacqueline Druga. Wolfed them both in about 3 days, and can't wait for the 3rd part of the trilogy, although I can't find a date for it, other than 'autumn'. I've read alot of post apocalyptic novels and these were up there with some of the most enjoyable, and they're also Kindle cheapies too.

Now just over half way through One Cold Night by Katia Lief after starting it last night (thanks KitKat21 for the recommendation) and really enjoying it. Will definitely read more of hers after this one. :)

To the person asking about SK's 11.22.63 I'd say buy it! I thought it was fantastic, it does slow down in the middle but the excellent first third and last third make up for it and if it wasn't for the dip in the middle it would possibly be my favourite SK novel, and it would take one hell of a book to knock 'The Stand' from that number 1 position!

Thank you :D x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did you think of this ? been thinking about buying it :)

Not usually a Stephen King fan, but my daughter persuaded me to read this. It weighs a ton so not holiday reading! The story so far is intriguing, so I'll stick with it.