Hollyoaks - ****** was a better character than first thought. (SPOILERS)

bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As most already know, Maddie met her maker tonight and even though I posted about this a few weeks ago I, personally, thought the actress, Scarlett Bowman, had improved massively since joining last summer and I enjoyed watching her. She was the charatcer I loved to hate and she was a greta soap bi*ch.

She will be missed by me but I look forward to the developments coming up over the next few weeks.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Comments

• ekim316ekim316 Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there were many mile left in her everyone loves a b*tch
  • EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked her and have said so on several occasions. I thought they could have still done a lot more with her and i'm so disappointed she got killed off.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved to hate her and she had so much more milage in her the killed her off prematurely in my opinion and i frankly feel it was a cop out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    She got killed of to easily, i wanted her to suffer, can't believe she left Neil like that and as soon as she came out the van she just blamed Esther!!!
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    I always thought the character had great potential and there was a time when I quite liked her, before Emma Smithwick took over it looked like the character was developing a softer side. However, somehow she then morphed from a bitch into an utterly vile bully so i'm not particuarly sad to see her go at all. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't down to the fact that the show has been so pressured by some vocal fans rather than being right for story telling. I wish she would have been 'outed' for being a bully but I guess the two most important people to her - Callum and Tilly - did see the truth about her before the end. I feel sorry for those two characters now because they'll probably feel immense guilt about their lasts words to her.

To be honest I find the fact that she left Neil a little bit inconsistant with her character, she once ran into a burning building to rescue Tilly and dragged Sinead out of the sea even when she hated her so i'm not sure why the massive turn around. Having said that it was marvellously evil and made it quite satisfactory that she then got hit by the car door. I found everything about her death gruesome tbh, her last words and actions and then Jono checking her body and Sinead's reaction (beautifully played by Steph Davis).

I never felt the criticism of Scarlett Bowman as an actress was warranted but I think she has been absolutely brilliant recently because she was brave enough to play Maddie with absolutely no sympathy and she was truly truly vile without a hint of trying to get the audience on side. Big respect to her for playing and helping to create a character that was so hated; most actors would probably say that they'd most like to play a character like that.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I found the sudden panto baddie evil Maddie who has no redeeming qualities whatsoever out of left field.

She was a bitch but it seems they ramped it up to levels of ridiculousness once it was decided they were gonna kill her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her story was unfinished. She was killed off too soon. Now the teens will never get to know what she was like. No-one will ever know about Neil. Like people have said, her death was too easy. She should have had to live with the guilt of levaing Neil to die, begin to crack, lose all her reputation, and then die. Now everyone, no matter what Esther says really, will think she's an angel.

Also I know we never met her but I feel bad for Neil's mum :o
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Maddie. She reminded me of Claire Devine, but a younger version. I will miss her so much. Wish she didn't have to die, but her death was really shocking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Maddie's death was fantastic. Yes, perhaps she could've gone on to have a couple of more storylines or have a different comeuppance for the bullying but the best villians bow out at the height of their reign and she was definitely at the top with leaving innocent Neil to die the way she did.

I do hope Scarlett Bowman wins some kind of award for her portrayal as she's done very well, perhaps "Best Exit".
  • Brian79Brian79 Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    rickybee wrote: »
    She got killed of to easily, i wanted her to suffer, can't believe she left Neil like that and as soon as she came out the van she just blamed Esther!!!

LOL i know... first thing on her mind was to attack esther....
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,500
    Forum Member
    I loved Maddie. She reminded me of Claire Devine, but a younger version. I will miss her so much. Wish she didn't have to die, but her death was really shocking.

Don't put Soap's worst character in the same sentence as one of Hollyoaks' all time best bitches

Maddie was bloody awful and her exit is long long overdue

Claire rocked when she was in it - a proper love to hate character; not the hate hate character Maddie was
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never saw her as love to hate. She wasn't charming or funny or witty. She was downright nasty. Also very insincere in all of her delivery, even in scenes where she was meant to be considering someone elses feelings, something that can only be blamed on the actress.

Not fit to clean the muck from Claire Devine's red stilettos.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope Scarlett Bowman wins some kind of award for her portrayal as she's done very well, perhaps "Best Exit".

In an episode that had Rhys' exit? I can't see that happening.
  • KriskikiKriskiki Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I loved the bitch of Claire Devine, I just completed hated Maddie, just a horrible person!
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maddies death was epic. Scarlett was amazing - i do hope she gets best exit.
  • Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Never saw her as love to hate. She wasn't charming or funny or witty. She was downright nasty. Also very insincere in all of her delivery, even in scenes where she was meant to be considering someone elses feelings, something that can only be blamed on the actress.

She was a horrible character with no redeeming qualities. I was overjoyed when that flaming car door descended on her from a great height! :D

I didn't much rate the actress either, I found her pretty one-note and wooden most of the time. But she did find her niche playing the cold, heartless bitch, I'll give her that. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    She had tons of storylines left. I think her coping with the guilt of leaving Neil to die would have been really interesting to see played out. Far more interesting than yet another affair or unwanted pregnancy. Personally I don't think she could have saved him. There wasn't enough time. As for blaming Esther I don't think she was just trying to shift the blame. I think she was actively convincing herself that Esther was really the person at fault to assuage her own guilt.

I'm inclined to agree. I think Maddie was written out in the way that she was to assuage vocal Hollyoaks fans how hated teh character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    i would have liked her to stay to be honest
  • matthew13matthew13 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I always thought the character had great potential and there was a time when I quite liked her, before Emma Smithwick took over it looked like the character was developing a softer side. However, somehow she then morphed from a bitch into an utterly vile bully so i'm not particuarly sad to see her go at all. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't down to the fact that the show has been so pressured by some vocal fans rather than being right for story telling. I wish she would have been 'outed' for being a bully but I guess the two most important people to her - Callum and Tilly - did see the truth about her before the end. I feel sorry for those two characters now because they'll probably feel immense guilt about their lasts words to her.

To be honest I find the fact that she left Neil a little bit inconsistant with her character, she once ran into a burning building to rescue Tilly and dragged Sinead out of the sea even when she hated her so i'm not sure why the massive turn around.
    Having said that it was marvellously evil and made it quite satisfactory that she then got hit by the car door. I found everything about her death gruesome tbh, her last words and actions and then Jono checking her body and Sinead's reaction (beautifully played by Steph Davis).

I never felt the criticism of Scarlett Bowman as an actress was warranted but I think she has been absolutely brilliant recently because she was brave enough to play Maddie with absolutely no sympathy and she was truly truly vile without a hint of trying to get the audience on side. Big respect to her for playing and helping to create a character that was so hated; most actors would probably say that they'd most like to play a character like that.

TBH i don't think she thought much of Neil and was just mates with because he was in the gang already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I hated Maddie I agree with those who wanted her to live so people could find out the truth about what she was really like. I hate that the remaining teens (every esther) will now grieve for her and George will label her as a hero for "saving" her even though she was only concerned about herself, repeatedly asking for someone to help HER when she wasnt the only one trapped and then telling ruby to get over the fact Neil was dead!!

I hope tilly n phoebe will at least agree with esther when she tries to tell the truth about how nasty maddie really was!!