The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an atheist free thread on faith would be useful.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    So it's gone from the majority to some now has it? Interesting.

And I've never seen an atheist threaten anyone with eternal damnation for not sharing their beliefs.

Not "now" no, it was changed as soon as it was typed. Im so sorry you didnt understand that or cant accept it and attempt to use it as some kind of dig? I've not seen people told they are going to eternal damnation on a daily basis here but many times a day but i have seen religious people told they are weak, believe in sky fairies, and easily led on a daily basis. If we're going there the atheists im talking about (SOME on this board) cannot wait to do that every. single. day.
    geniusgirl wrote: »

I agree an interfaith discussion could be very interesting were it not for the consant attacks from the non believers.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the creepiest things i've read on here
    Indeed. It's what Christians sound like to me.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I in the right place for today's atheist circle wank? We've not had one of those for at least ooooooh 15 minutes.

Brilliant! :D

I love this phrase and intend to use it in the future!
  • morbidangel101morbidangel101 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Not "now" no, it was changed as soon as it was typed. Im so sorry you didnt understand that or cant accept it and attempt to use it as some kind of dig? I've not seen people told they are going to eternal damnation on a daily basis here but many times a day but i have seen religious people told they are weak, believe in sky fairies, and easily led on a daily basis. If we're going there the atheists im talking about (SOME on this board) cannot wait to do that every. single. day.

I agree an interfaith discussion could be very interesting were it not for the consant attacks from the non believers.

I'd rather be told I'm weak than that I deserve to suffer for all eternity, but that's just me. And there might be more atheists than believers on this forum, but that doesn't hold true everywhere.

And you did write majority originally, just because you changed it doesn't mean you don't mean it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. I am not a practicing Christian but I did have a Catholic school upbringing and would be interested to have a discussion about Islam (amongst other faiths) in contrast to Christianity.

That is not to say that atheists could not get involved, learn a bit more about faith and the beleivers take something away from the atheists........ it is just a shame that it always ends up with sarcasm and pointless comments that bring nothing to the mix.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I struggle. I really do. It's like religious people paint a huge target on their behind and yell "come get me!"

I know we're meant to respect people's beliefs n'stuff, because... well, I dunno actually, but people say it a lot so it must be true, right? But yeah, I struggle. When the Bible verses come out and people start talking about how much God loves us, it is literally on the same level to me as a child running about saying "I'm a helicopter! Yeeewwwng!"
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Yes I have to agree that post could be very much misinterpreted, if you know what I mean.

I do know what you mean. In fact I think I misinterpreted it myself. :D

As far as prayer, I'd love to see more studies into it. The Harvard one was very interesting. It showed that prayers didn't work, and in fact were detrimental to those who knew they were being prayed for. I'd love to see that aspect explored more and also if there are any benefits (or not, as the case might be) to those doing the praying.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's gone from the majority to some now has it? Interesting.

And I've never seen an atheist threaten anyone with eternal damnation for not sharing their beliefs.

This is exactly what Pet1986 was talking about. Jumping on the chance to have a dig. Noone suggested atheists threaten people iwith eternal damnation.

I agree but how would you police that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    I do know what you mean. In fact I think I misinterpreted it myself. :D

As far as prayer, I'd love to see more studies into it. The Harvard one was very interesting. It showed that prayers didn't work, and in fact were detrimental to those who knew they were being prayed for. I'd love to see that aspect explored more and also if there are any benefits (or not, as the case might be) to those doing the praying.

I still don't see how you can submit something that's believed to have supernatural power to scientific study.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I'd rather be told I'm weak than that I deserve to suffer for all eternity, but that's just me. And there might be more atheists than believers on this forum, but that doesn't hold true everywhere.

And you did write majority originally, just because you changed it doesn't mean you don't mean it.

I changed it because i was wrong, it isnt the majority of atheists most of which i get along with very well. Its some, i read it back as soon as i posted it and thought, thats not fair it isnt the majority and changed it. Clearly as Lord says below for you that dosent matter its just a chance for a dig which backs up my whole point so thanks for that.:D
    I agree with this. I am not a practicing Christian but I did have a Catholic school upbringing and would be interested to have a discussion about Islam (amongst other faiths) in contrast to Christianity.

That is not to say that atheists could not get involved, learn a bit more about faith and the beleivers take something away from the atheists........ it is just a shame that it always ends up with sarcasm and pointless comments that bring nothing to the mix.

I agree.
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    This is exactly what Pet1986 was talking about. Jumping on the chance to have a dig. Noone suggested atheists threaten people iwith eternal damnation.

Ive never seen anyone post that to be honest but i might just be skimming it and im willing to be corrected.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I still don't see how you can submit something that's believed to have supernatural power to scientific study.

You look at the effect. Or look for it, to be more accurate, just like with any other supernatural stuff.
  • smilingcat9smilingcat9 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I don't see many prayers on this thread, instead of going on the defensive lettuce pray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but how would you police that?
    Appreciation threads exist throughout the forums here, including in GD.
    All it would require is for respectful discussion to take place. If you disrespect in any other appreciation thread on DS, you get banned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    You look at the effect. Or look for it, to be more accurate, just like with any other supernatural stuff.

But what are you looking for? Angels with Harps, a magic glow that says "Job done"? Prayer answered?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciation threads exist throughout the forums here, including in GD.
    All it would require is for respectful discussion to take place. If you disrespect in any other appreciation thread on DS, you get banned.

I suppose my point was how do you stop the "disrespectful" posts happening in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose my point was how do you stop the "disrespectful" posts happening in the first place?

If the staff were to start the thread and make it clear what its purpose was, you'd have to be an idiot to go in and spam :D
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its almost like i touched something in you? maybe a nerve? :D

I think some of the atheists practically cream running to a thread to shout their usual rhetoric & abuse, something you don't tend to see as much from the religious who may just need (as others have said) an appreciation thread to save themselves having to constantly deal with that kind of person.

You think wrong. I was just showing the other side of the argument without restorting to the hysterical rantings you do in so many threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the staff were to start the thread and make it clear what its purpose was, you'd have to be an idiot to go in and spam :D

Forgive me but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The posts would happen regardless who who created the thread.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disrespectful posts have no place in an AT. If one happens, hit the button and it gets chucked.

I like the idea of an AT because it won't prevent the usual religious threads from going round in circles. They'll still exist, but an AT is off-limits to posters who are only in there to have a go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I doubt non believers would think anything needs praying for.
    I try to have a 'moment of gratitude' at the end of the day, between bath and bed. I literally look out at the garden and think of something I am grateful for. I hope that's not too creepy or weird even for militant atheists.
    ishina wrote: »
    You need to get down on your hands and knees for Jesus and get ready to receive His love. Open up yourself to Him and let Him enter you. Let Him come inside you and fill you up with His goodness.

:o

Here's St Theresa of Avila having an entering moment...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The posts would happen regardless who who created the thread.

Diana above got it right.

Have you not been in appreciation threads elsewhere on DS?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pray to Dawkins that this thread is closed. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Disrespectful posts have no place in an AT. If one happens, hit the button and it gets chucked.

I like the idea of an AT because it won't prevent the usual religious threads from going round in circles. They'll still exist, but an AT is off-limits to posters who are only in there to have a go.

But that still doesn't answer my original question. :D

But that's okay because I think we all know the answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about the "worship" angle? How do you worship? For me, it means appreciating the good things, even when life is hard. I am by nature a depressive, pessimistic person but through the last five years or so of going deeper into my faith I have turned it around and become optimistic and able to find the positive, absurd and fun out of things that happen to or around me. In short, I count my blessings, to use a cliche. I use prayer as a prompt to sort through my feelings and get my head straight, instead of wallowing in undirected emotion.

Before I became more intentional with my faith, I'd be busy reading the papers and finding bad news to back up my views, instead of the "Good News" to challenge my long-term negative thinking.

Another way I worship is to turn on my worship music and sing and dance. It helps in the bad times and celebrates the good times. I've always danced and sung to secular music (in the privacy of my own home), so why not my Christian stuff too? :D