FIVE On Demand

Five Download - the broadcaster's internet video service - is to be relaunched under the new name Demand Five.

Thirty-day catch-up and archive content from Five, Five US and Fiver will be available via streaming and download applications.

Most content will be free - there will be pre-roll and banner advertising - though some US dramas will cost 99p per episode. There could also be advance-release episodes costing £1.99, Brand Republic reports.

Five is planning an on-air campaign to support the relaunch in late May. The broadcaster is also in talks for Demand Five to join on-demand television services. Virgin Media's cable service currently carries 4oD while the BBC's iPlayer is expected to join in May.

Jon Lewis, head of digital media, said Five wanted to sign up an exclusive sponsor for the launch.

"Advertisers can own this service from launch and there are cross-platform opportunities," he said. "Further down the line, we will package up content, such as the best of US drama, to promote it on air.

"The other video-on-demand propositions have established what on-demand is - and we can now focus on the content."

Source: DSpy

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a94904/five-plans-vod-relaunch-as-demand-five.html

The article says they're in talks, so fingers crossed.

Not that I watch anything on five, but the more the merrier.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Looks like they're 'talking'. I wouldn't expect anything amazing, especially seeing as most of the shows on it will be charging 99p.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current offering is dreadful from Five. A choice of three shows, and anything upto £2.49 per episode! Five on catchup would be good though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source: DSpy

Who lifted it from BRuplic :D

Anyway Interesting name better than the five download name they been using. As for the OD being on VM nothing new really they have been in talks with each other for what? about two/three months now.....

How come you posted it here and not in the OD board, I would have thought that would have been more suitable
  • Feed The ReaperFeed The Reaper Posts: 7,135
    Forum Member
    I was going to, and then realised that 90% of the article is about broadband and FIVE, both of which are not to do with VM VOD.... so thought if I was to post it there someone would gripe that the article should be in Broadband or Broadcasting instead and thus get lost amongst them when its the highlighted part i am trying to show.

Anyway, I wanna keep the moderators in a job :D
  • Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could, just could be a good month for VOD for Virgin. Remember reading 4OD is relaunching on virgin in May, we got the BBC IPlayer today and now the possible launch of content from Channel 5.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris123 wrote: »
    Remember reading 4OD is relaunching on virgin in May
    Did it say which year?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Is 4OD definately going to reorganise on Virgin tho? From what I heard they are reorganising the internet version (having a 7 day catchup and clips of programmes over the past 25 years) in preperation for the Kangaroo launch (BBC, ITV, CH4 own VOD service). I havent read much about what CH4 intend for 4OD on cable amongst these plans for Kangaroo and internet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    TV choice on demand has Paul Merton in china (listed as Paul Merton's China) this was first broadcast on Five.
    So is this the first Five on demand programme?

Martin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be, but then it could just be that they bought the VOD rights just like the bought the VOD rights for S3 of Lost....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Five on Demand starts this week!!! the link will be demand.five.tv It will feature everything they show and you wan watch if for upto 14 days.

I hear it is like a copy of 4od
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five on Demand starts this week!!! the link will be demand.five.tv It will feature everything they show and you wan watch if for upto 14 days.

Let's hope it comes to VM TV soon!
    Forum Member
    It should go live on Thursday June 26 or Friday 27!!!

Then the official launch next week!!!! Wahoo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should go live on Thursday June 26 or Friday 27!!!

Then the official launch next week!!!! Wahoo

Is this only on the computer or on tv or both...:confused:
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Exactly! How confusing. Do you mean internet only or what?
  • kowkow Posts: 200
    Forum Member

Everything they show? They show a lot of U.S imports so I can't see them having rights to show all of those on VOD. And doubling the watch time to 14 days is good if true, do you have a reliable source?
    Forum Member
    It's live now!!! you get most for free but you pay for some!! And you can download like 4od.

The site is not that great, difficult to get around.

Home and Away is on from May 29 so it goes back quite a bit for streaming online.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But does another online service means that VM will be carrying it?

I would like to see ITV and Five added (in fact, I would like to see every channel added) but don't think they will be on in the immediate future.

Shame really considering the success of the BBC iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that we won't be getting ITV or Five on demand on TV until after Kangaroo has launched on the internet.

Sadly, this also appears to have been delayed...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    I understand that we won't be getting ITV or Five on demand on TV until after Kangaroo has launched on the internet.

Sadly, this also appears to have been delayed...

Yep..someone always trys to skuffer virgins plans..:mad:
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    Free-who wrote: »
    Yep..someone always trys to skuffer virgins plans..:mad:

Kangaroo is not one of VM's plans. It's a venture between the BBC, ITV and channel4 and it will be internet based. But the likes of VM, BT and Sky have all submitted complaints regarding competition.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    tvtimes wrote: »
    Kangaroo is not one of VM's plans. It's a venture between the BBC, ITV and channel4 and it will be internet based. But the likes of VM, BT and Sky have all submitted complaints regarding competition.

So VM have launched a complaint against something that in theory could be a massive benefit for their TV platform? :confused:
  • DanielWhitDanielWhit Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how it would be a benefit to them, they potentially could lose customers to the TV service if subscribers can get iPlayer etc. over internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielWhit wrote: »
    I don't understand how it would be a benefit to them, they potentially could lose customers to the TV service if subscribers can get iPlayer etc. over internet.
    The Kangaroo offering on VM television would be an attraction for new customers. Look how popular the i-Player is. The fact that we can see it on our TV screens has already proved successful.

VOD is the ace in the pack for Virgin at the moment and this would be a welcome expansion of their VOD library.
    Forum Member
    Kangaroo will not benefit VM, it is potentially going to destroy them and hence why the action being taken by the likes of VM and BT against Kangaroo.

Kangaroo is aiming to have a VOD set top box as phase 2 after it launches on internet. This will go against VM VOD so this is why they are making protestations about it because its the biggest broadcasters banding together and hoping to go their own option for TV VOD. What VM are wanting is fairness in the marketplace by being allowed to acquire the rights to what Kangaroo offers on their platform, otherwise the strength of Kangaroo (having all the UK terrestrial channels) will sway competition in there favour and block out the likes of BT, VM and Sky who will not have access to the biggest channel audiences.

In other words, VM (and BT/Sky) are worried that once Kangaroo launches and then a set top box version comes out..... BBC and ITV and CH4 will all decide to make their VOD content exclusive to the Kangaroo box only (similar to how ITV have made ITV-HD a Freesat exclusive) and the likes of VM will lose two of the biggest VOD offerings they have in BBC and Ch4.
    There complaints are to make sure that whatever happens, VM can still broadcast BBC/CH4 and any other channels by arguing that Kangaroo allowed to go exclusive on content is too big a competition for anyone else on the marketplace to compete with.

And lets face it, if BBC and CH4 withdraw all their VOD content from VM VOD and made it exclusive to Kangaroo..... it would make VM VOD look rather meagre in its offerings!