8th Dr Audio

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Advice please.

I'm gathering some Hartnell and Troughton on DVD.

Pertwee and T Baker I kinda remember, so they can wait.

Tristan, C Baker and McCoy can wait even longer.

NuWho and me are up to date.

So, 8th and Big Finish etc. What do I need to know/buy?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Advice please.

I'm gathering some Hartnell and Troughton on DVD.

Pertwee and T Baker I kinda remember, so they can wait.

Tristan, C Baker and McCoy can wait even longer.

NuWho and me are up to date.

So, 8th and Big Finish etc. What do I need to know/buy?

Most of them are great! He finally gets the chance to show what a great Doctor he is. There is some continuity between the stories, especially the earlier ones. A good place to start is with Storm Warning, the first one he did, which introduces the first of his BF companions, Charley Pollard. Gets a bit weird later on in the series, but I like it.

That said, the second run of stories stories (starting with Blood of the Daleks) with Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller are among my favourites, and don't require having listened to the earlier stories. These are somewhat faster-paced, so might be best to start with them, and check out the earlier ones later.

There's a few more recent ones i haven't got round to listening to yet, am saving the Mary Shelley ones for a rainy day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main Range:

Everything!

Seriously, everything. Start at the beginning with Storm Warning and just plough through.

Some people hate the divergent universe storyline that lasted from Zagreus to Terror Firma, and while they were not the best, they were still good. Charley and C'Rizz are fantastic companions.

A true standout is Chimes of Midnight. Amazing.

EDA:

All four series and Dark Eyes are amazing, some of the best DW stories ever, from any medium. I love Paul and Sheridan together. And the Monk and Ice Warriors.

Standouts - Human Resources, Lucie Miller, To The Death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them are great! He finally gets the chance to show what a great Doctor he is. There is some continuity between the stories, especially the earlier ones. A good place to start is with Storm Warning, the first one he did, which introduces the first of his BF companions, Charley Pollard. Gets a bit weird later on in the series, but I like it.

That said, the second run of stories stories (starting with Blood of the Daleks) with Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller are among my favourites, and don't require having listened to the earlier stories. These are somewhat faster-paced, so might be best to start with them, and check out the earlier ones later.

There's a few more recent ones i haven't got round to listening to yet, am saving the Mary Shelley ones for a rainy day.

Just the man! Many thanks.

Storm Warning it is. Is there a Big Finish number to that one? The earliest 8th I see on ebay is number 62.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

About 3 or 4 times a year I do a hellacious 22-hour journey to Normandy and back in the car.

I think this will be a good time to listen to some 8th Doctor stories!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 16.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Just the man! Many thanks.

Storm Warning it is. Is there a Big Finish number to that one? The earliest 8th I see on ebay is number 62.

No probs - hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

I used to listen to them while working in the university lab late at night, every weekend for about a year. Sure helped pass the time, I expect they'll make your drive more interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Minute in Hell", "Invaders from Mars", "Seasons of Fear", "Neverland", and "Scherzo", are my favorite one with Charile (I have not gotten by "Scherzo" yet).

"Max Warp", "Orbis", "The Cannibalistic", "Death in Blackpool", and "Lucie Miller/To the Death" are my favorite ones with Lucie.

And a special shout-out to "Dark Eyes", as well as "The Company of Friends"

Actually, I love Series Four of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures, along with Dark Eyes as one of my favorite arcs in Doctor Who. I feel it does what RTD did, but much better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A true standout is Chimes of Midnight. Amazing.

I concur, I'd put that in my favourite DW stories of all time.
    I love Paul and Sheridan together.

Standouts - Human Resources, Lucie Miller, To The Death.

Yes to all of above!

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved The Horror of Glam Rock. Possibly the best-titled story of the lot.

I also enjoyed The Four Doctors (with Colin Baker, Davison and McCoy). The conversation between at the end is the icing on the cake.
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Yeah, just start with Storm Warning and make your way through. He's got some great companions and he's a great Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Just a quick pointer to the Big Finish web site were the first 50 of the DW monthly range can be got for a £5 each including the nearly a dozen 8th doc stories.
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Are you asking or offering and not adding the link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up on the BF offer. £5 is actually less than most of the ebay prices for Storm Warning and the early CDs.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 8th Doctor novels are pretty good too. There are some clangers in the first 2 years, but it gets better.
  • W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I would rank "Seasons of Fear" as one of the best 8th Doctor stories, bar none. Paul Cornell penned it, and it's got lots of time travel. And some great dialog too.