Upgrading Our Telly Sound System

Our 2Tb HD Sky box is hooked up to our two year old 50" Panasonic TV, which, since we purchased it, has had rather woolly acoustics- even turning the volume up leaves us struggling to listen to some programmes.

We want to upgrade the sound, although we are not too worried about getting the ultimate in treble and base surround sound. I'm not looking to spend a fortune- £200- £350.

Obviously, one of two choices- Full 5ch surround sound (we have speaker cable already set out), or a sound bar. No matter which choice, we're just looking for more sound clarity. It would also be handy to have something not too complex, and compatible with Panasonic, although I'm not too sure how Panny's surround sound and soundbars compare with the opposition.

Has anyone any good experience with their own similar set-up, be it surround sound, or sound bar, Panasonic or other?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    A third option is to use your existing music system if you have one, assuming the speakers can be suitably placed either side of the TV not too far apart and there is a spare Aux In. Even a modest system will be a vast improvement.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    If you don't mind running cables around then I think the full surround sound set up will probably give a better result than a sound bar would. You might want to look at Amazon or retailers like Richer Sounds

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/pioneer/htp072/pion-htp072
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a second set, we've a Panasonic Viera with backwards-facing speakers, so they aren't much cop.
    I can put the sound of this and DVDs/CDs/records/cassette tapes and my jukebox wall boxes/adapter/iPods, through my vintage Leak tuner/amp and 18" Goodmans speakers. Everything sound great. I've a 3 button Realistic stereo audio selector to make the relevant changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Our 2Tb HD Sky box is hooked up to our two year old 50" Panasonic TV, which, since we purchased it, has had rather woolly acoustics- even turning the volume up leaves us struggling to listen to some programmes.

We want to upgrade the sound, although we are not too worried about getting the ultimate in treble and base surround sound. I'm not looking to spend a fortune- £200- £350.

Obviously, one of two choices- Full 5ch surround sound (we have speaker cable already set out), or a sound bar. No matter which choice, we're just looking for more sound clarity. It would also be handy to have something not too complex, and compatible with Panasonic, although I'm not too sure how Panny's surround sound and soundbars compare with the opposition.

Has anyone any good experience with their own similar set-up, be it surround sound, or sound bar, Panasonic or other?

It depends on what content you'll be watching.
    If it's movies/live sport and you want 5.1 sound then a proper surround system is required.
    You can get good deals for around £300 for an AV amp and 5.1 speaker set. The downside is the speakers in these packages tend to be small and you'll probably need to add the cost of 4 speaker stands to your budget.
    If it's just something straightforward that's simple to use and just improves on the TV sound, the Panasonic SCHTE80EB Speakerboard looks good.
    It has multiple interface options for Sky optical, Audio return channel/HDMI from the TV and supports Panasonic Viera-link so it can be controlled from a single remote.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/panasonic/schte80eb/pana-schte80eb-b.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got one of these - can't believe the difference its made on our Panasonic TV. Far better than the Panasonic Home Theatre that I had

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/home-cinema-and-sound-for-tv/sound-for-tv/bose-solo-tv-sound-system/?mc=05WPS1059