Why modern tv is so bad

Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is a programme shown in Channel 4 schools programming called “Why is There So Much Rubbish on the Telly?”, in which former Controllers and Commissioning Editors said that modern tv is reality tosh and present Controllers and Commissioning Editors said that modern tv is the best is has ever been.

Personally I agree with the former. The point is all the people presently in the job were either women or youngish gay men and the people previously in charge were middle aged men.

Give the tv jobs to the people with the best taste in tv, not to people who give your company a good score on the diversity front and tv will be good again.

P.s. I am not a middle-aged man looking for a job in tv, just someone looking for something good to watch that isn't American.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I don't think TV is that bad.

It's just that with so many more channels it's harder to seek out the diamonds amongst all the turds. There are probably more good programmes on the box now than when I was a kid; it's just they're not all squeezed onto three convenient channels any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is modern TV so bad?

It can't compete with the internet very well.
    I want to watch what I like in the afternoon not very late at night.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV reflects society and modern society has become shallow, celebrity obsessed, desperate for money and getting one up on the neighbours with scant concern for manners.

This is why we get the shows that we do, because they 'live up' to these baser expectations.

Sad, but true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's just the case that modern media isn't as attractive to the sort of strong characters that used to be in charge.

Being an outsider to the industry I see it as full of bureaucracy with an obsession for demographics, low cost and populist products. To me that sounds like the opposite of fun.
  • PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV reflects society and modern society has become shallow, celebrity obsessed, desperate for money and getting one up on the neighbours with scant concern for manners.

This is why we get the shows that we do, because they 'live up' to these baser expectations.

Sad, but true.

Couldn't agree more.

TV has certainly lost its character.
  • Britain_2006Britain_2006 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Planet wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.

TV has certainly lost its character.

Here here...
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TV is a 20th Century medium.

And this is the 21st Century.

It's dying, that's all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a bit like someone working for Carlton told me, they were hiring writers for 'Crossroads' and basically they were not looking for talented writers of all ages.

But basically, 2 Asians, 2 white, 2 in their 30s. None over 35...

...that is why TV is bad, as the original poster said they're ticking PC boxes rather than employing talent. What if four great Asian writers came along - they could only hire two, and would have to suffice with two below part 30-somethings as no quality ones applied.

Madness.
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vbsx wrote:
    Why is modern TV so bad?

It can't compete with the internet very well.
    I want to watch what I like in the afternoon not very late at night.

Quite. The net has a diversity tv could never dream of. And vod, interactivity etc
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote:
    Quite. The net has a diversity tv could never dream of. And vod, interactivity etc

If only it had video in anything close to standard definition, never mind high definition.

Can't complain on my laptop, moving to my LCD TV the quality is entertaining to say the least.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    * Too few risks are taken now. If a show has trouble finding an audience it is either cancelled part way through its run, or moved around the schedule so much it loses even the people who were trying to watch it.

* Soaps attract large audiences, so they drown us in them. Reality TV programmes are cheap to make and can be huge hits, so we get loads of them.

* Dramas are pretty expensive so unless it is a police, medical, law, or costume drama it won't get made most of the time.

* TV companies use focus groups to design programmes and come up with bland shows that spark no passion in the audience. A bit like the government policies that are developed the same way.

* Too much obsession with the young demographic and attracting them to attract more advertisers. TV companies just don't understand that they don't watch that much TV anymore - the Internet is just more interesting most of the time. The orogrammes they do make for younger people are often a complete insult to their intelligence anway.

* Viewers are sick of being told when and what they can watch. Once you discover video on demand or peer-to-peer you aren't going to wait for your favourite American TV programmes to be shown here years later. That is why the audiences for things like Lost were down in the second season, now it is on Sky even fewer people can get it and they will try to get it on the Internet and further diminish the TV audience.

Broadcast TV has been on life support for a few years now. Soon it will be time to pull the plug and put it out of its misery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moden TV is so bad because its run by accountants not people who know about TV and now the BBC has out souced its accounts department to Indian Zarin Patel wants cheap holidays there.
    TV will just get worse and worse it won't ne long before The Local news comes from India if Zarin has her way
  • natsuki*headnatsuki*head Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern TV isn't that bad but the audience has lost it's wonder and innocence.