World of Warcraft

GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
Forum Member
Resubscribed to Warcraft recently.

Just wondering what servers are full of decent world pvp, or whether it's pretty much dead now?

Comments

• el_scott0rel_scott0r Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i've never seen much world PVP tbh other than the old tarren mill / southshore kickabout and i've been playing since 2006ish

ganking does not equal world pvp :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    World pvp has nearly died out. It's all Wintergrasp and battlegrounds now.
  • el_scott0rel_scott0r Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    i miss the early wow days, back when i actually read quest logs, scraping together the copper to buy a new sword at the AH, finding a silver bar in a chest and being like "omfg, its worth five gold", panicking when going through redridge cos it was the first contested area you went though

ahh, those were the days!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Aspartame wrote: »
    World pvp has nearly died out. It's all Wintergrasp and battlegrounds now.

Pretty much that and Arenas.
  • GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of switching servers, which ones are you guys on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on many servers, i recently joined Argent Dawn, i'm not an RP fan but i checked WoW Census and it's about 12k players per faction so i thought those numbers were excellent, i wasn't disapointed, i love the server, the best i've been on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As stated, world pvp is dead. Although it was dead before the dungeon finder it's even more dead now as everyone just idles in Dalaran or skips questing in favour of dungeons.

I'd suggest trying a RP-PvP server like Defias Brotherhood. It's got a decent population, reasonably balanced faction ratio and lots of organised pvp.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_scott0r wrote: »
    i miss the early wow days, back when i actually read quest logs, scraping together the copper to buy a new sword at the AH, finding a silver bar in a chest and being like "omfg, its worth five gold", panicking when going through redridge cos it was the first contested area you went though

ahh, those were the days!

I am currently enjoying those days, I've just downloaded the trial version......The downside of those days is you don't have a clue what you're doing.

I'm currently trying to hide inside a cupboard and have no idea what key to press to do so.

Can any WoW veterans help me out please? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres 3000 on my server, it's a pretty dead place. May move when I start playing a bit more. Not really been on in a few weeks.
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to hide inside a cupboard and have no idea what key to press to do so.

I don't believe you can hide in a cupboard!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL i aint played in 2 years an i was thinkin this was a new feature :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazinuk wrote: »
    LOL i aint played in 2 years an i was thinkin this was a new feature :D

I sussed it out after staring at it and pacing around it for a couple of hours. Basically, right click then right click again.

Still no clue what I'm doing but it's fun trying.

I'm a zombie lady. I'd start again with a male character but I'm getting the hang of this one so I might as well stick with her.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm guessing that it's for a particular quest, as you normally can't!

To interact with an object, normally you right-click - the pointer changes to a cog, or something item-specific when you mouse over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently enjoying those days, I've just downloaded the trial version......The downside of those days is you don't have a clue what you're doing.

Unfortunately,even with the nice new tutorial functions, it's still impossible to master without a bit of guidance.

My favourite site is wow.joystiq.com - Wow Insider. several new articles every day, and covers stuff for veterans and newbies.

try the stuff on here to help you find your feet:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/rookie/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thottbot used to be the Grail for quest items an loot and areas or allakhazam but that site wa a bit clunky
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess I'll have to buy Cataclysm and re-sub sometime next month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazinuk wrote: »
    Thottbot used to be the Grail for quest items an loot and areas or allakhazam but that site wa a bit clunky

thotbot was always full of 12 yr olds and their silly comments.

wowhead.com is excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sussed it out after staring at it and pacing around it for a couple of hours. Basically, right click then right click again.

Still no clue what I'm doing but it's fun trying.

I'm a zombie lady. I'd start again with a male character but I'm getting the hang of this one so I might as well stick with her.

Undead? My first was an undead mage. Once you hit level 20+ you'll be flying! But it does take a while to get used to everything, I'm still confused about certain things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    Undead? My first was an undead mage. Once you hit level 20+ you'll be flying! But it does take a while to get used to everything, I'm still confused about certain things.
    I believe we're called 'The Forsaken' these days.......I'm a warlock.

I'm level 27 now and I still don't really know what I'm doing.

I managed to win my first and only duel but I had a go at a battle (by accident I might add) and was basically running around like a headless chicken until I died so I don't think I'll be trying that again.

There seem to be hundreds, maybe thousands of things I don't understand but so far I'm managing with the quests.......They have suddenly got much much harder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    My favourite site is wow.joystiq.com - Wow Insider. several new articles every day, and covers stuff for veterans and newbies.

try the stuff on here to help you find your feet:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/rookie/

Great stuff, thanks. I'll have a good look at that later.

The next thing I want to figure out is why "I can't use that yet" despite being a high enough level. I've got some fancy chainmail gear I've been carrying around for ages.

I did manage to get myself a nice new haircut at Undercity though.....I've got a pretty good look going. Necrophiliacs could do a lot worse than me. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stuff, thanks. I'll have a good look at that later.

The next thing I want to figure out is why "I can't use that yet" despite being a high enough level. I've got some fancy chainmail gear I've been carrying around for ages.

Different classes can use different types of armour; e.g. priests can only use cloth armour.

At level 40, some classes gain the ability to use other types - warriors and paladins can now use plate armour, and hunters and shaman can now use chainmail.

If you've got say a lvl 20 piece of chainmail, by the time you can use it you'll probably already have better gear on though!
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got cataclysm yesterday and started playing after months away, the only problem is I can’t get back into my toon's so I think I might delete and start a fresh. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to win my first and only duel but I had a go at a battle (by accident I might add) and was basically running around like a headless chicken until I died so I don't think I'll be trying that again.

PVP (player versus player) is a whole different ball game. Needs different tactics, different spells. For a warlock (and other ranged classes), the key is to keep them at range so most classes can't hit you - Fear is good to keep using and make sure you have all your DoTs(Damage over time - the spells that slowly add more damage - Bane of Agony, Corruption, Immolate) up.

A lot of players levelling up are using gear passed down from their high level players so it ends up being an unfair fight regardless. Battlefields can be good fun though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PVP (player versus player) is a whole different ball game. Needs different tactics, different spells. For a warlock (and other ranged classes), the key is to keep them at range so most classes can't hit you - Fear is good to keep using and make sure you have all your DoTs(Damage over time - the spells that slowly add more damage - Bane of Agony, Corruption, Immolate) up.

That's great to hear, it sounds like I'm not going far wrong with the spells I'm using. I've got them lined up on my keyboard, Bane of Doom first, then Curse of Weakness, then Immolate, then Conflagrate, then I activate Soul Burn and Drain Life until one of us dies.

I use fear if there's more than one attacking me.

The problem I'm having now is that the quests are mostly recommending for more than one player. There's a massive Yeti creature that I can't come close to killing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got say a lvl 20 piece of chainmail, by the time you can use it you'll probably already have better gear on though!

Excellent, I'll ditch it tonight. :)

Are the professions worth bothering with? I learned tailoring (thinking I could make some smart threads or alter my own) but I've so far found no use for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The problem I'm having now is that the quests are mostly recommending for more than one player. There's a massive Yeti creature that I can't come close to killing.

For PvE (player versus environment(computer)), (war)locks, can use their pet to soak up the damage; the voidwalker pet should be able to tank the yeti and with a combination of Cure of Weakness, Drain Life and Health Funnel you can take down pretty big enemies. Just need to watch that you don't do damage so quickly that you get aggro.