man of steel is a remake of superman 2

philybphilyb Posts: 845
Forum Member
✭✭
The new superman looks good but it has the same bad guys from superman 2.

Superman 2 is the greatest superman film. hopefully man of steel will be just as good.

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er….. I don't think it's a remake of Superman 2 in any way.
    It's a complete new telling of the Superman story in the way Batman Begins was - would you say Batman Begins is a remake of Tim Burton's Batman?

But congrats on your sensationalist thread title.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ..and Superman 2 is not the greatest of the Superman films. That honour belongs to the Superman The Movie.

Superman 2 could have been great but gets bogged down with stupid gags and powers that kryptonians do not have. Giant cellophane 'S'? WTF?
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Superman 2 could have been great but gets bogged down with stupid gags and powers that kryptonians do not have. Giant cellophane 'S'? WTF?

Not as stupid as spinning the Earth backwards to reverse time. I'm pretty sure that if Earth started to spin backwards the consequences for us wouldn't be as depicted in Superman. And as a plot device it's ridiculous, using that logic any time anything bad happens Superman can just spin Earth back a few minutes and stop whatever from happening by pre-empting it.
  • philybphilyb Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The richard donner cut uses a differnt ending and is the best version
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philyb wrote: »

Have you any idea which ending the "remake" will use :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the film will end with Clark Kent as an established Anchorman on the Daily Planet News network.
    Superman will then be seen constructing a space station in orbit around the earth. The last shot will be of a Bat-shaped spacecraft docking with the station.
    Supposedly this will lead straight into the Justice League film!!

Nah!!
    I'm just yanking your chains!
    Completely made that up!
    Feel free to share on the Internet and start a non-factual rumour!
    :D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what little I've seen in the trailers and some photos, the new movie seems to be a Superman The Movie/Superman II amalgamation retelling - which I wouldn't have a problem with.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it has the same ending as Superman the movie doesn't it ?
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Richard Donner Cut has the same spin and reverse the world ending as the first movie. Makes you wonder how many times Superman has fudged up and span his way out of trouble.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    it has the same ending as Superman the movie doesn't it ?

Unfortunately yes it does, but to be fair Donner shot about 75% of S2 but didn't get chance to film the ending.
    When the Donner cut was being put together Donner was adamant that he did not want to use the Lester kiss scene so the earth spin was re-used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, both endings are equally awful. A kiss that causes amnesia, speeding round the Earth to rewind time.

Why not go the whole hog and just have Superman hitting a big f*ck off RESET switch.
    Forum Member
    Just watched the Restoring The Vision segment of the Donner cut of Superman 2 and they said that the spin back earth scene was originally scripted as the end of Superman 2 and the scenes were shot as Donner shot most of S2 while shooting S1, but for one reason or another a decission was made to use it on Superman 1 instead.(probably due to running behind schedule etc and already having the scenes available)
    The reason they chose to use the originally shot scenes instead of the kiss (some of which were not used in Superman 1) was because of them thinking that only Superman should ever kiss Lois and not Clarke.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the Lois and Clark relationship is going to be toned down in these films anyway- as per current comics continuity where in he's dating Wonder Woman- the comics change likely coming because of ongoing Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster estate lawsuits.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Presumably the Lois and Clark relationship is going to be toned down in these films anyway- as per current comics continuity where in he's dating Wonder Woman- the comics change likely coming because of ongoing Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster estate lawsuits.
    Not ongoing anymore:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a450254/warner-bros-wins-decisive-superman-victory.html
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Not as stupid as spinning the Earth backwards to reverse time. I'm pretty sure that if Earth started to spin backwards the consequences for us wouldn't be as depicted in Superman. And as a plot device it's ridiculous, using that logic any time anything bad happens Superman can just spin Earth back a few minutes and stop whatever from happening by pre-empting it.

As far i was aware, when superman flies round the earth really fast, he travels back in time, to illustrate this we witness time going backwards, so the earth spins back the wrong way, the water goes back into the damn, the earthquake unhappens.

maybe im wrong, but i dont think he actually spun the earth round the wrong way.:confused:
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be an improvement on Superman Returns which while not the worst Superman film wasn't great. The trailer does show promise and hopefully it'll lead to more DC movies should it be a hit,
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    As far i was aware, when superman flies round the earth really fast, he travels back in time, to illustrate this we witness time going backwards, so the earth spins back the wrong way, the water goes back into the damn, the earthquake unhappens.

maybe im wrong, but i dont think he actually spun the earth round the wrong way.:confused:

He spins it backwards, fixes everything and then he spins it forwards again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjgsnWtBQm0

Why doesnt the earthquake start again once he has taken it back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »

Basically, he Tivo'ed Earth! :D
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »

Why doesnt the earthquake start again once he has taken it back?

Why do Lois and Jimmy remember an Earthquake that didn't happen? So many problems with that ending. Still love it though. :-)
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Why do Lois and Jimmy remember an Earthquake that didn't happen? So many problems with that ending. Still love it though. :-)

I think part of the reason is that some of those scenes were shot with a different ending in mind as Superman originaly fixes the Earthquake damage and throws the 2nd missile into space which shatters the phantom zone releasing the three villains.
    Due to Donner shooting 1&2 side by side the completion of S1 overrun and over budget so was forced to use the ending they'd already shot for S2, so then had to shoot an extra scene and slot it in to give a reason for turning back time which ended up being to prevent the death of Lois.