How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I went a bit mad come pay day, and bought a load of polishes on Amazon (Zoya Blaze, omg! Plus my first Laylas and my first Nubar, and the OPI liquid sands) and an enormous bottle of Seche Vite from BuyaPowa, and a new glass file (I got one for Christmas, but it isn't very good) and some stuff from Sally Magpie (check that shop out! It's amazing!) which hasn't come yet.

I've posted one of the Layla holos on my blog - it's quite pretty. But the second one (blog post later today I expect) is ten times better, omg it's stunning! I can't stop looking at it!

I can't wait to check it out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went a bit mad come pay day, and bought a load of polishes on Amazon (Zoya Blaze, omg! Plus my first Laylas and my first Nubar, and the OPI liquid sands) and an enormous bottle of Seche Vite from BuyaPowa, and a new glass file (I got one for Christmas, but it isn't very good) and some stuff from Sally Magpie (check that shop out! It's amazing!) which hasn't come yet.

I've posted one of the Layla holos on my blog - it's quite pretty. But the second one (blog post later today I expect) is ten times better, omg it's stunning! I can't stop looking at it!

Sally Magpie is bloody awesome :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horton wrote: »
    Sally Magpie is bloody awesome :)

Isn't it just?!

I don't know how it'll pan out long term now that Royal Mail are cracking down on posting nail varnish. The latest updates I've read are that they're not allowing ANY international postage of nail varnish at all, not for individuals or companies. UK postage is ok currently for individuals and companies, but will change in June or July, when individuals won't be able to post nail varnish with RM at all under any circumstances - any found will be destroyed. Companies will be able to post within the UK, but to a maximum of 4 bottles at a time and they must have a special hazmat label. There is some suggestion that international post might be possible at some point in the future for companies only, under special conditions (hazmat training and special labels, and small quantities, from what I've read) but that individuals will not be able to post nail varnish internationally via the UK again. I wonder how small companies like Sally Magpies will be able to get stocks from abroad...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it just?!

I don't know how it'll pan out long term now that Royal Mail are cracking down on posting nail varnish. The latest updates I've read are that they're not allowing ANY international postage of nail varnish at all, not for individuals or companies. UK postage is ok currently for individuals and companies, but will change in June or July, when individuals won't be able to post nail varnish with RM at all under any circumstances - any found will be destroyed. Companies will be able to post within the UK, but to a maximum of 4 bottles at a time and they must have a special hazmat label. There is some suggestion that international post might be possible at some point in the future for companies only, under special conditions (hazmat training and special labels, and small quantities, from what I've read) but that individuals will not be able to post nail varnish internationally via the UK again. I wonder how small companies like Sally Magpies will be able to get stocks from abroad...

Yeah I have to say I am confused about this?

So if I buy nail polish online and it gets destroyed, I've lost out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horton wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say I am confused about this?

So if I buy nail polish online and it gets destroyed, I've lost out?

Depends who you're buying it from I'd guess. Established companies should know what they're doing - you won't be able to buy from companies outside the UK now. Ebay and Etsy and so on is a different matter. If you're buying from outside the UK, they may try to risk sending it, but as far as I'm aware, Royal Mail is x raying all international parcels, and destroying any with the banned things, and sending a letter to the sender (NOT the recipient) so if something did get destroyed, you wouldn't necessarily know, unless you sent it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends who you're buying it from I'd guess. Established companies should know what they're doing - you won't be able to buy from companies outside the UK now. Ebay and Etsy and so on is a different matter. If you're buying from outside the UK, they may try to risk sending it, but as far as I'm aware, Royal Mail is x raying all international parcels, and destroying any with the banned things, and sending a letter to the sender (NOT the recipient) so if something did get destroyed, you wouldn't necessarily know, unless you sent it.

That's ridiculous, so I can't get polishes from anywhere but the UK now? Great... wtf is their problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royal Mail has always banned posting nail varnish, it's just that they never scanned for it before or destroyed it. From what I've read, it sounds as though the international airlines are cracking down, which is what's prompted RM to do the same. Hang on, let me find some links.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I didn't know it was always banned :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying out the OPI liquid sand this weekend. I'm on the blue one so far, and I do NOT like the sand finish. Urgh! It's nasty. But, with topcoat, the blue is just STUNNING! Wowsers.

I'm making jewellery too, it's been ages since I made any new stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Hi all

I was wondering whether any of you have purchased nail polish from www.nailpolishdirect.co.uk ?

I currently don't own any OPI as i just cant justify the price, but this site has some really cool ones for 7.15 which is just about ok as a one off.

Not sure I trust the site though, meets none of my usual safety checks (no address, phone number, actually no email address, clicking contact us just tries to open outlook, which i dont have, no mention of paypal, and clicking on the 'click to verify' for ssl link does nothing)

I think writing all this down has perhaps made up my mind already that its not worth it, but anyway if anyones had any experience with the site i'd be grateful for your opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a lot of blogs, and I've never heard of that site.

I buy my OPIs either in my nice local store (I'm lucky) or on Amazon. There are some really good Amazon sellers like Beauty4U and RadiantBabe, who I've bought from lots of times very successfully. They don't charge a lot more than that website, and you pay safely through Amazon.

Edit: Nail polish Direct have a facebook page here:
    http://www.facebook.com/nailpolishdirect
    It seems to show happy customers, although there are also some comments from not so happy ones. It seems very inactive though for a company that's been on Facebook since May 2011.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Elanor. There are some good deals on amazon from those sellers. Do you have any reccommendations for a hot pink or coral jelly. So far the only one I can find is Koala Bear-Y. I dont have any jelly polishes yet and I really want to try a glitter jelly sandwich and I think i'd prefer it to be pink.

Koala Bear-Y will be fine if I can find another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hm... I have very few jellies myself, they seem quite hard to find in the UK!

Ooh, wait! I have the Nails Inc Juicy Sheers in orange and red, they're both really good. They do a pink one too, called Henley Regatta. I can't see it on their website, but you may be able to find it somewhere online or in a large Boots?
    Forum Member
    Never been too keen on Nails Inc really, cant get away with the shape of the top, and the short brush. Plus at their price it would be cheaper to get koala bear Y for £8.50 on amazon. Thanks though.

Yesterday i popped into Sallys on my way through town and for once hit it just right. Whenever i have been in before the only cheap OPI's have been brown and grey. Yestersday however they had the Holland collection polishes for £4.37 each BARGAIN!

So i boughts Peddle Faster Suzi which is very pretty. :) also received my AEngland polishes yesterday, Dragon and Saint George. so these should keep me going for a while whilst i look for jelly polishes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opi have several pale pastel jellies, would they interest you? They're really nice, although they're not hot pink. The New York City Ballet collection has a load of pretty sheers that look lovely in jelly sandwiches. I also have a pale pink OPI jelly called Heart Throb, which is very pretty. There's also Essie Mademoiselle. They're all pale pinks though...

http://www.letthemhavepolish.com/2012/03/opi-new-york-city-ballet-soft-shades.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made a load more nail varnish rings today - pictures on my blog. I got a bit carried away!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reccommendations elanor. Think i still prefer the hot pink colour though, although OPI Are you Callin' me a Lyre? is very pretty.

Just had a look at the rings on your blog they are beautfiul. I seen these a few months ago and looked into buying stuff to make them, but was a bit concerned about ordering the wrong thing online and couldn't find the bits in my local hobbycraft. Would you mind telling me where you buy the rings and stones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My stuff comes from a company called Beadaholique in the States. They're really good. I've never seen the glass cabochons in the UK in shops. I've found some online UK stores that sell them, but they're pricier than the US, and don't seem to have thought through matching cabochons to bases/findings, because whenever I've found cabs that seem right, there have been no suitable bases, and vice versa. So Beadaholique for me. They do sell some on Amazon UK too, but it's a very limited range and more expensive than from their own website. You could look on Etsy too, there are sellers on there.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've given nail varnish up for lent...it's actually the only thing that is consistently in my life, that I'd actually miss :P I've not had a day without varnish since I was about 13.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given nail varnish up for lent...it's actually the only thing that is consistently in my life, that I'd actually miss :P I've not had a day without varnish since I was about 13.

But! But! WHY? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But! But! WHY? :eek:

It is the only thing I'd miss if I had to give it up :p It's funny, the kids at school think it's great and are acting like it's a massive deal...that is how known my love for nail varnish is haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it sounds like TORTURE!

Has anyone tried Kinetics nail varnish? I'd never heard of them, but they sent me some to review and it's really good quality, I'm really quite impressed. They offered me a discount code to give out too, if anyone wants to buy any! It isn't a colour I'd have chosen, as it's similar to lots of others I have, and it's not mega exciting, but still good quality.

http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/kinetics-purple-madness.html

Far more exciting - my Sally Magpies order arrived! I may have overspent my February budget! Still, I now have a black, red and bright pink holo like my gold one, can't wait to try them! They look AMAZING in the bottles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh my! Good luck with that! I couldn't do it, you obviously have amazing willpower!! *bows down to your skills*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my! Good luck with that! I couldn't do it, you obviously have amazing willpower!! *bows down to your skills*

Yeah, I'm not sure I have the will power yet...it's the first day and I just seem to be doing nothing but looking at varnish and nail art vids...must...not...give into....itchy....fingers