H Symbol on phone?

Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I have the W890i phone andrecently where the 3G symbol used to be at the top it now has H what does H mean?

Comments

• RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    HSDPA would be my guess.
  • nockie3nockie3 Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep HSDPA. Just out of interest, what network are you on?
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has it only came up recently? 3G never comes up now since it has changed have they replaced 3G now? I'm on O2. What does that stand for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    hsdpa is the next generation of 3g commonly called 3.5g it allows broadband data speeds, dependent on device and network it can be upto 3.6mbps compared to standard 3g's connection speed of around 300kbps

So you are still on 3g just a faster connection when using data services like email and web, downloads etc.

Didnt think o2 had very widespread hsdpa coverage, the reason it has probably just started showing on your handset is that o2 have upgraded the 3g in your area with hsdpa.

hsdpa stands for: High-Speed Downlink Packet Access
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that didn't think that O2 were that bothered about their 3G network maybe i was wrong thought T-Mobile was the best 3G Coverage along with 3?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that didn't think that O2 were that bothered about their 3G network maybe i was wrong thought T-Mobile was the best 3G Coverage along with 3?

To be honest I have no idea which network has the best 3g coverage, I do know 02 recently got into trouble from ofcom for not providing large enough 3g coverage rollout, and many suspect this is because they dont really care about the revenue availble from data and 3g's largest use is data.

I also heard that o2's hsdpa rollout was well behind the other networks, but that may well not be accurate.

All I do know is that o2 and orange have the poorest data tarriffs and t-mobile has one of the best (although web&walk basic no longer enables hsdpa!)
    Vodafone and three also offer very good data tarriffs although vodafones are more buisness based.