New <Freetime> Update

-GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
Forum Member
Our boxes should receive an update today with YouTube going live tomorrow :thumbsup:
YouTube on TV joins the lineup

Sit back, relax, and be entertained with all the top trending videos in the comfort of your lounge. YouTube has joined the party at freesat and will be available on our freesat+ products with <free time> from 7th March.

The stunning new player, specifically designed to be watched on TV, not only looks amazing but can be fully personalised with your uploads, playlists and favourites and you can even synch it with your phone.

<free time> boxes will update with new software today, with the YouTube application going live tomorrow morning (7.03)
http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/YouTube-launching-7th-March/m-p/4804#M422

Edit:
Update available from lunchtime, software details within the following link, but I see no mention of 4OD or Demand 5 so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we get those too when we get the update.
http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/free-time/New-software-with-some-important-fixes/m-p/4802/highlight/false#M1086

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Our boxes should receive an update today with YouTube going live tomorrow :thumbsup:

http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/Channels-On-Demand/YouTube-launching-7th-March/m-p/4804#M422

Edit:
    Update available from lunchtime, software details within the following link, but I see no mention of 4OD or Demand 5 so I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we get those too when we get the update.
    http://community.freesat.co.uk/t5/free-time/New-software-with-some-important-fixes/m-p/4802/highlight/false#M1086

yep just read that on join freesat, and i would b much more happier wi 4OD and demand 5 as i have youtube on my tv..... will be updating when home and checking out youtube tomorro..... is youtube access via a portal or some other way
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    ..... is youtube access via a portal or some other way

I believe you'll find it in the On Demand section when you press Home.
    Not long to go then I will be able to update my box if its not done so already.:)
    Forum Member
    Hmmm I just went to settings and software and says no new software detected

Edit....

No wonder just checked info and its already on 1.00.37 silly me lol.
    Forum Member
    Mine was updated already when I got home too.
    So far for me this update is more buggy than the last :(
    After using on demand content my box keeps freezing and I get a message saying 'Audio/Video decoding buffer is underrun' which the only way I've been able to resume is to turn off then on again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    A list of the fixes/updates:

Support for YouTube
    Compress IP data collection (reduce amount of data downloaded via IP) <--- [See Graham! Someone agrees with me! :-P ]
    Fixed first recording failure after unit is in standby overnight
    Fixed Resume issue when playing back recordings
    Improved Aspect Ratio on Video playback
    Time Shift Recording improvements
    Improved issues with Instant Reply during playback
    Wi-Fi driver Improvement
    Improved Trick player after changing channels
    Resolved searching for channels or using Non freesat mode deletes timers.
    Start-up improvements
    Hang-up improvements
    Conflict Resolution improvements
    Resolved Dynamic channel update issue
    HDD Storage display improved
    Fixed HDD format message appearing when Installation Wizard is not completed
    Series Recording Improvements
    iplayer Improvements
    ITV Player improvements
    Improved “Showing Again” information
    Improved broadcast file/data collection
    Video Playback improvements
    MHEG Improvement
    Resolved issue when exiting TV Portal
  • NosferatuNosferatu Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    It's either a coincidence or this update has killed my 1TB box today. The box is a couple of weeks old and did have the beta software from the Humax website installed (the one that fixed the missing of the first recording of the day if the box hadn't been turned on). This box was a replacement for one that died after three months with this problem.

This evening after finishing watching a recording whilst recoding something else, I deleted the watched recording and then was presented with a message to the effect that the disk was full and the current recording had stopped (which it had). The Recordings list showed 3 recordings and that the disk was 100% full.

System Settings -> HDD shows:
    Availaible size 0.0GB
    Used size 0.0GB
    Reserved size 0.0GB

Total Size 0.0GB
    and 100% space used.

This is still the case after restarting the box or after shutting down, removing power for 10 seconds and powering back up.

Anyone else had this problem?

Another trip to John Lewis to get it replaced? Or is it time to give up and get a refund?

James
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 seconds is far too short, the power supply capacitors will maintain the power for say up to a minute. Leave it off for at least 5 minutes.
    Forum Member
    Nosferatu wrote: »

System Settings -> HDD shows:
    Availaible size 0.0GB
    Used size 0.0GB
    Reserved size 0.0GB

Total Size 0.0GB
    and 100% space used.

Anyone else had this problem?

James
    Someone else posted pics on another forum of exactly the same thing after updating earlier this afternoon.
    The only solution was to format the hard drive which did fix the issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I also got the 100% space used problem with the HDD reporting 0GB for everything. Formatting the disk fixed it for me, still a pain tho.
    Forum Member
    StewMc wrote: »
    I also got the 100% space used problem with the HDD reporting 0GB for everything. Formatting the disk fixed it for me, still a pain tho.

any1 know when or where youtube will be on the hdr, i have searched all the guide and tv portal to no avail....
  • Wayne_JacksonWayne_Jackson Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    any1 know when or where youtube will be on the hdr, i have searched all the guide and tv portal to no avail....

All we have been told is that it will be later today. :)
    Forum Member
    All we have been told is that it will be later today. :)

Ok thanks. Hopefully b on by time I home from work
  • paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Anyone know what the Start-up improvements are ?

Mine takes almost a minute to get from standby to being useable, thought it was quicker before.

Still no 4OD etc which was supposed to be by end 2012 yet we get useless features like you tube.

Still no good as media player over the network either.

Seriously unimpressed by the suppposed update
    Forum Member
    I've just popped home and had a look at YouTube.
    Well I must say I'm suitably impressed with the quality of the videos which are much better quality than what I get via my Blu Ray player.
    Seaching via remote is a bit of a chore, but the good news is if you have a smart phone or tablet then you can pair them so you can search for videos via your device then click icon to play on your TV screen.
    The only downside for me is as before when going back to live tv and picture freezes and the buffer underrun message appears.
    Forum Member
    paul1962 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the Start-up improvements are ?

Mine takes almost a minute to get from standby to being useable, thought it was quicker before.

Still no 4OD etc which was supposed to be by end 2012 yet we get useless features like you tube.

Still no good as media player over the network either.

Seriously unimpressed by the suppposed update

Yea mine took considerably longer to start up this mornin too infact was takin tht long I nearly switched it off at wall. Not good
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I've just popped home and had a look at YouTube.
    Well I must say I'm suitably impressed with the quality of the videos which are much better quality than what I get via my Blu Ray player.
    Seaching via remote is a bit of a chore, but the good news is if you have a smart phone or tablet then you can pair them so you can search for videos via your device then click icon to play on your TV screen.
    The only downside for me is as before when going back to live tv and picture freezes and the buffer underrun message appears.

Will have t have check it out hen him and regards the searching iPhone iPad I can do that wi the YouTube app on my tv. Much better than remote.
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far so good. Updated and YouTube is activated. YouTube performance is excellent and I was able to pair my Android phone and play back video from the phone on the TV.:D

I tried switching back and forth from YouTube, going to standby and back, playing a few recordings. All without a hitch, so fingers crossed.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I installed the over the air update today, and so far have not noticed any issues, YouTube is there under On Demand, and seems to work well.

I don't know if it's my wishful thinking or purely imagination, but I think I detect a very slight speedup while scrolling the EPG... though AIS probably wishful thinking...lol

I didn't try the beta, so the update was from the xx.016 to the official xxx.037, wife's been using it for a few hours today and has not reported any problems so far... fingers xxx. :)

Not had much chance to really check it out thoroughly but a quick whisk through menu's and checking all my recordings were still there reassured me a little..lol

As I certainly would not be too happy if I lost my film collection I've built-up on the drive... which reminds me perhaps it's time I took a backup of the stuff I def want to keep.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    10 seconds is far too short, the power supply capacitors will maintain the power for say up to a minute. Leave it off for at least 5 minutes.
    My rule of thumb is to leave it off while I make a nice relaxing cup of tea. :)
    Forum Member
    lunar524 wrote: »
    ... which reminds me perhaps it's time I took a backup of the stuff I def want to keep.

good luck wi that, AFAIK theres no way to transfer recordings from the drive to USB or other....
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Yea mine took considerably longer to start up this mornin too infact was takin tht long I nearly switched it off at wall. Not good

Exactly the same for me i.e. from pressing the remote button to seeing TV broadcast exactly 29 seconds - same as it ever was. My neighbour complains about the time it takes his 1000s to boot. However, when I looked at it, the problem was with his TV i.e. the time it takes the HDMI to pick up the signal. The Sony Bravia we have in another room is very slow with HDMI and our Panasonic HW120. Even after the box is clearly up and running we still get a blank screen with the logo HDMI 1080i along with scrolling dots. If I link the same machine to our Panasonic TV which has HDMI auto switching it's almost instant.
    Forum Member
    Nigh on 1 min to start up from standby, that's twice as long as before....

Although must say am impressed so far, but sayin that looks no different to YouTube app on my Panasonic tv

Also not sure an use youtube app on iPhone/iPad to play to tv, have to go to youtube site
    Forum Member
    Just a quick q. I sure read somewhere that YouTube on freesat was a first for uk for summat or other but what makes the humax YouTube anything different than the YouTube on my Panasonic tv that I have had for some time, its exact layout exact use exact link with account and exact smartphone/tablet linking, infancy you would never tell difference between either of them
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigh on 1 min to start up from standby, that's twice as long as before....

Although must say am impressed so far, but sayin that looks no different to YouTube app on my Panasonic tv

Also not sure an use youtube app on iPhone/iPad to play to tv, have to go to youtube site

If you standby cycle it again is it still 1 min? Can I also ask what event you consider it booted. (Sound, Picture on TV, Channel of front display). I have seen posts that certain TV's take a long time to HDMI switch.

I think the sound comes on sooner than it did before.

Perhaps youtube is a first for a PVR,
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    If you standby cycle it again is it still 1 min? Can I also ask what event you consider it booted. (Sound, Picture on TV, Channel of front display). I have seen posts that certain TV's take a long time to HDMI switch.

I think the sound comes on sooner than it did before.

Perhaps youtube is a first for a PVR,

I would class fully booted when get pic on tv and sound. And I don't think is anything t do wi tv as before update was quik now the freesat logo comes on when boot then takes ages for freetime logo to appear. And the display on HDR is blank up until then