UK lost interest in Lady Gaga

madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lady Gaga dominated headlines and Forums less than a year ago with the release of Art Pop and the announcement of her Art Rave Tour yet within a Year the UK appears to have lost interest. Her latest album Cheek to Cheek after only two weeks after just scraping into the Top 10 in week one has plummeted neither of her single releases from the album came close to even hitting the Top 100 let alone Top 40. Her alleged Sold Out Pop Rave Tour appears to have not quite be sold out as Live Nation would like everyone to think Ticket Master are still trying to sell tickets third party websites are flogging tickets not at the usual extortionate prices but well below face value as many sellers try to get something back rather than nothing. the European and American tour dates that Live Nation claim to have been sold out show rather dodgy well below capacity attendance figures although claiming all tickets released sold.
The debacle of her releasing material hasn't helped with the constant delays pulling release dates creating a huge hype and then not delivering.
Her Little Monsters didn't help at the height of her fame but they even seem to have all gone quiet on websites and forums. Is Lady Gaga the biggest career crash for an artist. Usually an artists popularity gradually drops over consecutive years but in her case it appears to be the biggest and quickest fall from Pop Supremecy to ?.

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything I predicted about Gaga's career back in 2011 came true. The simple fact is she peaked too fast. Then fell into the trap of believing her own hype and with it became arrogant. I think in her warped mind she really believed she was Madonna.

She also made ARTPOP sound like it was going to be up there with Bjork's best. Instead what we got was a generic mess of an album. The wackiness which was intriguing at first quickly became tired and desperate attention seeking to the point people were just turned off. Her Little Monsters also didn't help. Them being so deluded help alienate her from the mainstream.

I think what really happened is that Gaga was just a product of clever people. One by one they left her and now we have the result of that. Gaga was a corporate puppet. Without the creative minds of those who created her she is nothing.

Her jazz voice isn't all that either tbh. Amy Winehouse was the only true great of this generation. Gaga doesn't and will never come close to her.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    Lady Gaga dominated headlines and Forums less than a year ago with the release of Art Pop and the announcement of her Art Rave Tour yet within a Year the UK appears to have lost interest. Her latest album Cheek to Cheek after only two weeks after just scraping into the Top 10 in week one has plummeted neither of her single releases from the album came close to even hitting the Top 100 let alone Top 40. Her alleged Sold Out Pop Rave Tour appears to have not quite be sold out as Live Nation would like everyone to think Ticket Master are still trying to sell tickets third party websites are flogging tickets not at the usual extortionate prices but well below face value as many sellers try to get something back rather than nothing. the European and American tour dates that Live Nation claim to have been sold out show rather dodgy well below capacity attendance figures although claiming all tickets released sold.
    The debacle of her releasing material hasn't helped with the constant delays pulling release dates creating a huge hype and then not delivering.
    Her Little Monsters didn't help at the height of her fame but they even seem to have all gone quiet on websites and forums. Is Lady Gaga the biggest career crash for an artist. Usually an artists popularity gradually drops over consecutive years but in her case it appears to be the biggest and quickest fall from Pop Supremecy to ?.

She has a massive ego & believed the hype. Onto of that her dressing up antics became tiresome & in an 'Emperor's new clothes" type scenario the public soon realised that whsts being hailed as "game changing music" is just bog standard pop.
    A cautionary tale about not over selling yourself.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She believed her own hype. Got complacent. That's pretty much it. Her music isn't as good as it was in her early career imo.

I look at Rihanna as an example how to handle hype. She isn't arrogant, comes across as down to earth and lets her music do the talking. Plus she's managed to stay relevant even when she doesn't have an album out. The hype surrounding her next album hasn't been generated by herself, she's barely spoken about it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaga hypes her music too much. While some see that as confident, i see it as arrogant. BTW was meant to be the album of the generation. She and a few of her producers also remarked Artpop was meant to change pop music forever. Neither of which achieved what she wanted them to do. BTW for me was style of substance. Artpop for me was just an ok pop album.

Some of her fans also want her to revert back to "The Fame era" sound, which i hope she doesn't.

Cheek To Cheek hasn't had any promo or hype for it over here, compared to the US, so it's sliding down the chart is no shocker. But she is bound to book an XF slot soon and I am sure by then, sales will surge. The type of album her and Tony release are normally best sellers at xmas so i assume a sales surge will also occur around late november/early december, all depending who else releases albums in a similar fashion.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just the UK by the looks of things. I too predicted this: loved her debut single but everything after that ranged from mediocre to rubbish....the worst being the Abba Fernando derivative. Yes, a bitter cautionary tale of style over substance and of taking oneself too seriously...
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love her music, but what annoys me most about Gaga is how she always tries to come across as so peculiar in interviews. It's like she has to always put on this 'ooh i'm so kooky' act which so un-relatable and totally humourless. She needs to snap out of that persona asap and just act normally. It's not appreciated and it totally alienating.

Watch interviews with the likes of Katy Perry, P!nk, Rihanna etc and compare with the awkwardness of Gaga. Hell even Mariah Carey and Celine Dion have a sense of humour. (I do think Katy Perry brilliant in this respect. She really comes across as so down to earth. Possibly one of the main reasons she is so successful over here. I think stuff like that translates well to us Brits)

She needs to stop over hyping herself too. I liked Artpop for what it was - a pop album. It certainly isn't the game changer she announced it would be. It just makes her look foolish.
  • Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it just comes down to her songs being rubbish. I'm not an expert but a lot of people could overlook her wacky outfits/weirdness if her music was excellent.

Also, her new Instagram picture where she is getting a tattoo on the back of her shoulder(?) But her skirt is hitched up so you see her arse. What is the point of that? I think she tries to use sex/nakedness just as much as rihanna but because she's not considered attractive she/monsters say its "art".
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,760
    Forum Member
    Her downfall has been herself. She began with her quirky style and a fantastic album but she's been chasing The Fame ever since.

With each album release, she has appeared to allow her ego to grow at a fast rate whilst her sales have declined even faster. The style that was once quirky is now just ridiculous and over the top and she treats each album/single/video as if it's god's gift to the world and unfortunately for her, it simply isn't.

Her problem is she can't just release an album or a single or a video, it has to be hyped to excess and then when the release comes, it's never as good as she has hyped it to be.

She tries to shock with her clothes and her wigs but I think fails to understand the biggest thing she could do now to shock people is to walk out onto a stage in a nice dress and a pair of heels and her hair just pulled back, go to a mic stand and sing.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything I predicted about Gaga's career back in 2011 came true. The simple fact is she peaked too fast. Then fell into the trap of believing her own hype and with it became arrogant. I think in her warped mind she really believed she was Madonna.

She also made ARTPOP sound like it was going to be up there with Bjork's best. Instead what we got was a generic mess of an album. The wackiness which was intriguing at first quickly became tired and desperate attention seeking to the point people were just turned off.

Next will be ANOTHER reinvention saying that she let her monsters down etc and now shes truly found them and herself again blah blah blah when in reality her music got crap and people got bored of her. What was once different and intriguing became desperate and boring.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I love her music, but what annoys me most about Gaga is how she always tries to come across as so peculiar in interviews. It's like she has to always put on this 'ooh i'm so kooky' act which so un-relatable and totally humourless. She needs to snap out of that persona asap and just act normally. It's not appreciated and it totally alienating.

Watch interviews with the likes of Katy Perry, P!nk, Rihanna etc and compare with the awkwardness of Gaga. Hell even Mariah Carey and Celine Dion have a sense of humour. (I do think Katy Perry brilliant in this respect. She really comes across as so down to earth. Possibly one of the main reasons she is so successful over here. I think stuff like that translates well to us Brits)

She needs to stop over hyping herself too. I liked Artpop for what it was - a pop album. It certainly isn't the game changer she announced it would be. It just makes her look foolish.

She plays the victim card and feels a bit sorry for herself, especially on stage. Like when Madonna mashed up BTW and Express yourself on the MDNA tour, Gaga took that seriously and made remarks about it on her BTW Ball tour but did it without mentioning what she was referring to when it was obvious it was. She remarks a lot that her being different causes her to be a social outcast and she was always looked down upon by her peers and some teachers. She tries to be the voice for the all the misfits in the world. It comes across as a bit desperate and needy. It can be the same record playing again and again. That has become a bit old now.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I feel a strong sense of Deja Vu with this thread re-hashing all the usual 'gaga is finished' baloni in the other 10000 gaga threads .
    To spin it on its head, perhaps this lower performing era can only be a positive thing now, as there will be far less expectation placed on her next era.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,760
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    To spin it on its head, perhaps this lower performing era can only be a positive thing now, as there will be far less expectation placed on her next era.

Only until Gaga does an interview and hypes it as the best thing to happen to music.
  • CalmGCalmG Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't liked her for years. I liked her first few songs but it rapidly became clearer and clearer that she is an idiot.

She is simply unlikable. She says that her music is art - it isn't art it is either generic pop music or just pretentious rubbish.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of just enjoying herself with her new jazz album and letting it be what it is, she's now acting like she's a jazz expert and has always sung it, stating that she's "going back to her roots" with this album of critically panned covers. She's dressing up crappy retro-style, and her live performances are almost as cringe worthy as her interviews.

She has also recently described herself on reddit as a classical pianist. Ha.

She's just a deluded narcissist.

No one has ever fallen so fast, but then no one rose as fast as she did to super-stardom. What comes up must come down.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really understood the hype behind Lady Gaga. Her music is made out to be so much more than what it actually is by both Lady Gaga herself and her fans. It's treated like the second coming. The majority of her music - singles and album tracks - are just as generic as anything recorded by the likes of Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus, but her fans treat her as though she's the saviour of pop music. I still regard Poker Face and Bad Romance as two of the most overrated songs of the last ten years. I've seen a fair few people comment that Artpop has underperformed because it's a departure from her earlier music and a risk. How so? It's a highly commercial pop album that is no different to most of the other songs in the music charts around the world.

One only has to look at her chart performance over the last three years, especially in the UK, to see that interest in her has waned big time. Every single that she has released since Judas has disappointed and underperformed. According to Wikipedia, Born This Way sold over 200,000 copies in the UK in its first week yet Artpop hasn't sold that many copies in nearly a year. Obviously no-one is going to keep debuting with over 200,000 copies of each album they release, but to drop like Lady Gaga has done is pretty startling. Selling five-six million copies of an album worldwide is pretty good going in today's music market, but there's no denying it was a huge drop off after The Fame. I think part of the problem is her theatrics grew old and boring very quickly. How many times can someone wear a peculiar outfit and keep the public interested? A person can only keep that schtick going for so long before it becomes overkill. She also takes herself far too seriously. Then there are the extra long music videos that come off more pretentious than entertaining, especially Born This Way and Marry the Night.

One of the biggest things that I think has ruined her career, at least at this point in time, is the sheer arrogance of many of her fans which has turned a lot of other fans and casual listeners off. It got incredibly annoying seeing her constantly mentioned on YouTube, message boards and forums, especially when it was to accuse every other singer and band in the history of music of supposedly ripping Lady Gaga off. To claim that certain songs and music videos from 20 years ago are ripping her off is utterly ridiculous. Many of her fans got ahead of themselves and cocky far too quickly by calling other artists "flops" and now the tables have turned because she's no longer the big shot in the music world. Then there are the reports of "Little Monsters" bullying non-fans and other artists (wishing people to die isn't cool) which has left a sour taste in the mouths of many people, especially when Lady Gaga claims to be anti-bullying. It's not the first time she has contradicted herself. She's spoken out about female empowerment but has still worked with the likes of R. Kelly and Terry Richardson.

Arrogance and nastiness are nothing new in the pop world. A lot of Michael Jackson's fans are downright delusional. Madonna's fans haven't got a leg to stand on in terms of criticising Lady Gaga fans for their arrogance and pettiness because a lot of Madonna's fans are so conceited, egotistical and cocky which has always made me laugh because she's sourced a lot of her ideas from lesser-known artists and old school Hollywood. There's nothing genius or innovative about taking things from one art form and putting it into another. This is why I've never understood how Madonna fans can criticise someone like Lady Gaga (and many other artists) for doing things that weren't even new or original when Madonna did them, but explaining this to Madonna fans is like talking to a brick wall.

Cheek to Cheek is definitely something of a departure for Lady Gaga but there's no denying its chart performance in the UK and many other countries has been a disappointment. Had the album been released four years ago, it would have easily peaked inside the top three. I wouldn't write her career off just yet because she could very well bounce back, but as it stands at the moment she's definitely had the biggest rise and fall in pop music since The Spice Girls although Britney Spears probably had a bigger rise than Lady Gaga but she didn't fall as much or as quickly.

Congratulations if you have just read this wall of text.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Arrogance and nastiness are nothing new in the pop world. A lot of Michael Jackson's fans are downright delusional. Madonna's fans haven't got a leg to stand on in terms of criticising Lady Gaga fans for their arrogance and pettiness because a lot of Madonna's fans are so conceited, egotistical and cocky which has always made me laugh because she's sourced a lot of her ideas from lesser-known artists and old school Hollywood. There's nothing genius or innovative about taking things from one art form and putting it into another. This is why I've never understood how Madonna fans can criticise someone like Lady Gaga (and many other artists) for doing things that weren't even new or original when Madonna did them, but explaining this to Madonna fans is like talking to a brick wall.)

I agree that arrogance and nastiness is nothing new and you can relate this to every artists fans from kylie to Oasis to even Elvis as each persons career is perspective of the person giving their opinion. However the big difference between Madonna and Lady Gaga is that Madonna has never claimed she was totally original or changed the world with her music. Her fans and media may have said it but throughout her career. Lady Gaga unfortunately with her Haus of Gaga has released some ridiculous statements about her upcoming releases. She has also been foolish enough to boast of her own self importance. MJ also did the unfortunate mistake of Self Prolaiming to be the King of Pop which stuck as it's always quoted as the Self Proclaimed. His entire debacle of having a huge statue of himself floating down the river and wacky behaviour became more of the headlines rather than his music and his sales tumbled. Hadn't he died the media and headlines would be very different to what they are today.
  • playboy69playboy69 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    People can't seem to have a conversation about Gaga without bringing Madonna into it. That says it all really...
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artpop needed to be a bigger change in direction than it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    (Arrogance and nastiness are nothing new in the pop world. A lot of Michael Jackson's fans are downright delusional. Madonna's fans haven't got a leg to stand on in terms of criticising Lady Gaga fans for their arrogance and pettiness because a lot of Madonna's fans are so conceited, egotistical and cocky which has always made me laugh because she's sourced a lot of her ideas from lesser-known artists and old school Hollywood. There's nothing genius or innovative about taking things from one art form and putting it into another. This is why I've never understood how Madonna fans can criticise someone like Lady Gaga (and many other artists) for doing things that weren't even new or original when Madonna did them, but explaining this to Madonna fans is like talking to a brick wall.)

I agree that arrogance and nastiness is nothing new and you can relate this to every artists fans from kylie to Oasis to even Elvis as each persons career is perspective of the person giving their opinion. However the big difference between Madonna and Lady Gaga is that Madonna has never claimed she was totally original or changed the world with her music. Her fans and media may have said it but throughout her career. Lady Gaga unfortunately with her Haus of Gaga has released some ridiculous statements about her upcoming releases. She has also been foolish enough to boast of her own self importance. MJ also did the unfortunate mistake of Self Prolaiming to be the King of Pop which stuck as it's always quoted as the Self Proclaimed. His entire debacle of having a huge statue of himself floating down the river and wacky behaviour became more of the headlines rather than his music and his sales tumbled. Hadn't he died the media and headlines would be very different to what they are today.

The Haus Of Gaga underwent some severe remodelling after Born This Way. She fired her agent Troy Carter, her stylist Nichola Formichetti quit and her assistant Brandon Maxwell took over, her hair stylist Michael Pooter quit... all the people that helped create her image and get her to the top got tired of her demanding rather than gracious attitude or were fired for trying to maintain control of her career when she wanted sole control. I think she figured "I can do this on my own now, I don't need them telling me what to do" but now it's became clear that Gaga herself is not as good as the image they made and marketed for her.
  • Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheek to Cheek sold 131,000 copies in the US last week and is still in the top 5 on today's chart, so she's still doing well in the US - many people are already tipping her and Tony Bennett to win Grammys at next year's event. I think the upcoming Artrave tour in the UK will bring her back to public attention over here.

Artpop wasn't her best album but there were some great songs on there like Aura, Gypsy and titular track.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to her itunes artpop preview gig cause im a big gaga fan. However i knew after the gig that the album would not be very good. All the somgs are over produced dance crap and tbh she deserved what she got.

It makes me sad cause shes so talented, but the public aint gonna buy an awful album.

She should not of worked with zedd and white shadow
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    tim18 wrote: »
    She should not of worked with zedd and white shadow

I didn't mind her tracks with Zedd (GUY & Aura were pretty good), but Artpop really lacked a standout (or several standout) tracks.

BTW had massive tracks like Hair, Scheisse (both single material) and Edge of Glory. TFM had Dance in The Dark, Bad Romance etc. Artpop didn't really have anything like that. They weren't bad songs as such, they just weren't very memorable. I'm looking at the tracklist now and i'm struggeling to remember what Donatella, Fashion and Manicure even sound like. I don't even want to remember the abysmal 'Jewels & Drugs' :o

Strongest track on Artpop was Gypsy - coincidently the only track with RedOne :D Even that sounded a bit like a BTW leftover.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why wasn't gypsy a single? It'd have been a better choice than GUY.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I didn't mind her tracks with Zedd (GUY & Aura were pretty good), but Artpop really lacked a standout (or several standout) tracks.

BTW had massive tracks like Hair, Scheisse (both single material) and Edge of Glory. TFM had Dance in The Dark, Bad Romance etc. Artpop didn't really have anything like that. They weren't bad songs as such, they just weren't very memorable. I'm looking at the tracklist now and i'm struggeling to remember what Donatella, Fashion and Manicure even sound like. I don't even want to remember the abysmal 'Jewels & Drugs' :o

Strongest track on Artpop was Gypsy - coincidently the only track with RedOne :D Even that sounded a bit like a BTW leftover.

RedOne is another person she fell out with I believe after she decided she wanted to create her own new direction and parted with her manager, so it is possible it was a BTW leftover.
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still enjoy listening to her music, considering getting a ticket to see her next week if I fancy it . She still sells decent numbers of albums, she is still a very good concert draw in the grand scheme of things. She still has overzealous fans. As long as all that is the case she will continue being a viable recording artist.

I've always felt that people miss the mark with the Madonna comparison, I think she is more akin to Cher. Cher has had #1 US albums in six consecutive decades. However when you think of iconic Cher moments they tend to be quite spread out. She consistently sells great numbers of albums, she still has very successful tours. She goes through massive surges in popularity (Believe being the obvious one) and flits between being a critics darling and an act with a very dedicated fanbase. I can see Gaga having a very similar career trajectory.