Superhub 30Mb needs regular reboot

KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Sorry to start a new thread on something that's probably been answered elsewhere (but searching for "superhub problems" comes up with quite a few threads!!!).

I'm basically very pleased with the new 30Mb service, except for one thing. The line drops about 2-3 times a day and I have to power-cycle the router to fix it.

Is it a common problem?
Should I bother trying to get VM to replace it?

TIA

K

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to start a new thread on something that's probably been answered elsewhere (but searching for "superhub problems" comes up with quite a few threads!!!).

I'm basically very pleased with the new 30Mb service, except for one thing. The line drops about 2-3 times a day and I have to power-cycle the router to fix it.

Is it a common problem?
    Should I bother trying to get VM to replace it?

TIA

K

If you're happy with it dropping out daily and having to reset it, no, don't call them. If you're not happy about it dropping out daily and having to reset it, yes, call them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Does the line drop or does the Superhub lock up or do you just lose WiFi access?

If you can access the hub itself - http://192.168.0.1 when you lose the internet then check the connection status - if it is down then visit the VM community forum and report the problems you are getting - there is a sticky saying the sort of up front info they need.

If you can't access the hub using WiFi can you get in wired? If so then you may get less problems by turning down the WiFi speed to 145Mbps or even down to G although that won't deliver your 30Mbps.

As you've seen from the forum the SuperHub is a real can of worms for many. VM are aware and have promised new firmware but so far their attempts to improve it haven't.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Does the line drop or does the Superhub lock up or do you just lose WiFi access?

If you can access the hub itself - http://192.168.0.1 when you lose the internet then check the connection status - if it is down then visit the VM community forum and report the problems you are getting - there is a sticky saying the sort of up front info they need.

If you can't access the hub using WiFi can you get in wired? If so then you may get less problems by turning down the WiFi speed to 145Mbps or even down to G although that won't deliver your 30Mbps.

As you've seen from the forum the SuperHub is a real can of worms for many. VM are aware and have promised new firmware but so far their attempts to improve it haven't.
    The wifi to the hub seems to be OK, it's the connection to the outside world that seems to go down.

Do you have a link for the "VM community forum" (I guess I should know that already, but I don't!!!)

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SC03OTT wrote: »
    If you're happy with it dropping out daily and having to reset it, no, don't call them. If you're not happy about it dropping out daily and having to reset it, yes, call them.
    It's a bit of both! I don't mind, cos the hub is right by where I sit, but SWMBO (who's upstairs) hates it!!!

K
    Forum Member
    Do you have a link for the "VM community forum" (I guess I should know that already, but I don't!!
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/bd-p/Fibre

Read the sticky on how to get the power levels and include them in your post as that will save time. The techs read oldest first and can take 3 or 4 days to get to you. Don't bump your post as that will just put you at the back of the queue again. Post from home or they'll have to ask for your account details and that wastes more time.

There's another sticky on interpreting the power levels.

If the hub isn't hanging but you've lost the connection it will either be a busted modem section in the hub or a problem with the cable voltages or noise levels. Either way you can only report it not fix it.
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the super hub and am generally pleased with it.

Today though I experienced the same problem. Could connect to the hub both wired and wireless but not outside world.

If it is any help, I believe there were network issues this morning but did not make it onto the website status pages.

My router stats were fine, no errors and power levels fine so I am going to put it down to good old network issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    I have the super hub and am generally pleased with it.

Today though I experienced the same problem. Could connect to the hub both wired and wireless but not outside world.

If it is any help, I believe there were network issues this morning but did not make it onto the website status pages.

My router stats were fine, no errors and power levels fine so I am going to put it down to good old network issues.
    I'm guessing that, in that event, a power cycle wouldn't fix it?

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/bd-p/Fibre

Read the sticky on how to get the power levels and include them in your post as that will save time. The techs read oldest first and can take 3 or 4 days to get to you. Don't bump your post as that will just put you at the back of the queue again. Post from home or they'll have to ask for your account details and that wastes more time.

There's another sticky on interpreting the power levels.

If the hub isn't hanging but you've lost the connection it will either be a busted modem section in the hub or a problem with the cable voltages or noise levels. Either way you can only report it not fix it.

Thanks, got the page up and ready for the next dropout!

K
    Forum Member
    Thanks, got the page up and ready for the next dropout
    It will timeout in a couple of minutes but you will be able to log in again if the hub is still working.

You're right that power cycling the hub won't work if there is a general area fault although it should recover automatically from a temporary glitch anyway.

I'll be interested to hear what you find as many people report similar problems with the hub but none I've seen have specified whether or not the hub seems to be actually working OK after the internet is lost or not. I'd pretty much assumed that their hubs had locked up rather than there being any connection fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, it just died, but in an interesting way...

First, the wired connections failed, but wifi and internet connections were OK. So I got the status page and pasted it to the community forum, as advised.

Then, about 5 mins later, it all failed, and I couldn't get the status page any more, despite the Control Panel showing a solid line to the "Multiple networks" icon between the computer and the internet. It was this display that made me think local connections would be OK, but that does not appear to be the case.

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, my "downstream power levels are too high". ( QAM256 -3 dBmv to +7 dBmv)
    Downstream Channels
    Lock Status	Modulation	Channel ID	Max Raw Bit Rate	Frequency	Power	SNR	Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
    Locked	QAM256	217	55616000 Kbits/sec	306750000 Hz	13.2 dBmV	39.9 dB	Hybrid
    Locked	QAM256	216	55616000 Kbits/sec	298750000 Hz	13.5 dBmV	43.2 dB	Hybrid
    Locked	QAM256	218	55616000 Kbits/sec	314750000 Hz	13.1 dBmV	37.2 dB	Hybrid

K
    Forum Member
    That sounds to me more like a SuperHub bug than a connection failure.

They'll probably get a tech sent out to fit an attenuator but I don't think it's what is causing your problems - that's the superhub. As I mentioned earlier it may be more stable if you set the WiFi speed slower as many people have reported that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity OP, have you got ip flood detection off and firewall disabled in the hub menus?

Also, try setting the wireless speed to 145mb connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, flood turned off and firewall disabled within about 30 mins of installing it!

I've reduced the wireless speed as well. I'll let yah know!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you get problems why not install a time switch to reboot the hub every 4/5 hours. Only needs going off for5 mins. Shouldn't have too as the kit should work but it might help in the interim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, so far...

Turning the speed down to 145 seems to have "fixed" it. It had a little "wobble" at 1130 yesterday morning, but fixed itself after 30 secs or so.

Jury's still out, but thanks for the suggestion, kwikbreaks and sps1013!

K
    Forum Member
    Another thing I've found which sometimes sorts mine if it is just the wireless and you have a download or something running on wired making it inconvenient to reboot - turn wireless off and then on again.

They are conducting a trial with the router in modem only mode on the old firmware which can only be switched on and off by support so I declined it - I suspect this means that SSH is still there but on some secret port and probably a secret user/pass so they are just using the commands that were published by somebody months ago. The R27 trial only firmware is still at least 3 weeks away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, so far...

Turning the speed down to 145 seems to have "fixed" it. It had a little "wobble" at 1130 yesterday morning, but fixed itself after 30 secs or so.

Jury's still out, but thanks for the suggestion, kwikbreaks and sps1013!

K

Mine has little wobbles every now and then. The wireless just seems to go to sleep but then comes back. It usually occurs first thing in a morning when the connection has been dormant overnight.
    Forum Member
    That coincides with what I see - I think it periodically drops the WiFi connection.

I run a Fonera+ router to provide a FON hotspot which gives me free access to other peoples FON hotspots. I've put an external antenna on it to make it useful to others but it's weak indoors.

I have an HTC Desire and run the FON Android app. Quite often in the kitchen that kicks in and connects me to my FON hotspot suggesting it has disconnected from the hub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I think it seems to "nod off". Cant work out why as the logs all indicate the connection to the internet is functioning. Also the network still remains broadcasting and identifiable.

I have run inSSIDer too but as the logs dont go back far enough in the graph section I think it must "nod off" after several hours of non-use. Weird!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Engineer booked for tomorrow morning. I'll report back after he's been.

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, as predicted, engineer turned up and fitted a filter of some sort to the cable. The figures came just into spec so we'll wait and see what happens. On the plus side, he fixed some ghosting on the TV signal while he was here!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(:(:( Nope. As predicted by kwikbreaks, it didn't help (it even needed a reboot in "145" mode). Back to the community forum!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a weird situation this morning:

Laptop (dell 64bit w7) on wireless
    Desktop (dell 32bit w7) wired

Laptop could see desktop and vice versa
    Desktop could see internet
    Laptop couldn't see internet, even after power cycling the hub.

After a reboot of the laptop, all is well!

So, what situation causes a wireless laptop to be able to see the router and other devices on the home network, but not to be able to see the internet, when other PCs can?

:confused::confused::confused:

K
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had mine installed, as well as the firewall and flood protection, the installer also mentioned something about taking the WPA protection off auto if I kept losing connection.

I am not sure if this solves any issues, but my phone often loses its connection; but if I turn wireless off/on on the phone it re-establishes it.

I also regularly lose connection to the web in its entirety through all devices (green flashing light)... a reboot fixes this. My PS3 also regularly loses the connection to my NAS. Couple this with an 83% signal strength when I am less than 5m from the unit and I can safely say that something is up.

The saving grace is that when it works it flies...