McDonalds - Great Tastes of America

Comments

• Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    This winds me up each year. They promote 5 new burgers in 5 weeks, yet from what I can see, 4 of the 5 are just cheese and bacon burgers with the only slight differences being the bun and the sauces and maybe a slightly different cheese.

I'd kind of hope for a bit more variety myself.
    ...I just don't see any association between the burgers and the cities they claim to represent.

For example, as I said above 4 of the 5 burgers have cheese and bacon. which is commonplace and don't really relate to any region in particular.

The first week is the Miami Melt, which has a chilli and chive bun. How does that relate to Miami specifically - it doesn't in my opinion.

The one burger that doesn't have bacon is the Texas Grande - here is the description.

How is Pepperoni Tex Mex? To me pepperoni is usually associated with Pizza - Texas is usually associated with Tex Mex, BBQ or Steak where if anything Chicago is known for Deep Dish Pizza and New York is also known for it's thin crust Pizzas.

Yet the Chicago burger is again the generic Cheese and Bacon with a cheese topped bun and salsa - what does that have to do with Chicago?

I can just about buy the New Orleans as it has a Cajun sauce, but the others don't seem to have anything specific to the region.
    OMG, chill out. What do you expect from a fast food chain and mass marketing?:confused: It's not meant to be fine dining, deep nor meaningful.

I'll probably pop in tomorrow for one of these - it's the only time I bother going to McD.:D
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a way of marketing. Simple.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should do a Man versus Food burger.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should concentrate on making their burgers taste like meat.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the OP needs to manange their expectations before ordering tasteless swill. Or eat elsewhere.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Maybe the OP needs to manange their expectations before ordering tasteless swill. Or eat elsewhere.

I haven't eaten one and rarely use McDonalds. I'm simply commenting on the basis of the endless adverts on TV for it.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you all do for the regional burgers? For texmex I'd go for a chilli beef burger, with pepper cheese, jalapenos, letteuce and a sour cream type sauce.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't eaten one and rarely use McDonalds. I'm simply commenting on the basis of the endless adverts on TV for it.

So you dont even eat them any way? So whats all the whinge about then? I dont watch any adverts any more any way, always "blip" past them.

Its called marketing. Do you actually believe everything in an advert? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you dont even eat them any way? So whats all the whinge about then? I dont watch any adverts any more any way, always "blip" past them.

Its called marketing. Do you actually believe everything in an advert? :eek:

It's a food section of a forum, I just thought it was interesting, that's all.

I'm fully aware it's marketing. I'm also aware that many customers will eat the burgers no matter what simply based on the ingredients.

I just think though, if they are going to go to the trouble of creating burgers pertaining to a region, they could make a little more effort.

As someone says above, if they are going down the TexMex route then Chilli, Jalapenos, Sour Cream would be the way forward rather than Pepperoni which is more associated with Italian/Pizza.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "each one only available for a week" thing makes some people that would otherwise think "I'll go to KFC" decide to go to McDonalds as they "must try it while they still can" (even though it'll be rubbish as described in this thread).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Partially due to the attention I have given to this topic, I decided to try the Chicago Supreme burger.

It was acceptable, although as predicted no more unique than any generic burger with cheese and bacon. As I keep saying, nothing about it screamed 'Chicago', but I guess as long as they sell and appear to look decent, nobody cares about the name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    So what are the actual details of each one then? What makes them different?
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess they will put each one up on the website week by week

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/food/beef/gta-chicago-supreme.mcdj

As others have said the key differences for this one seem to be the inclusion of salsa and a cheese-topped bun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Cheers you two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly 'endless' is it? It's a limited offer - one week for each - so the advertising is as you'd expect.

And as you're not keen on McDonalds anyway, why bitch at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Hardly 'endless' is it? It's a limited offer - one week for each - so the advertising is as you'd expect.

And as you're not keen on McDonalds anyway, why bitch at all?

As I said, it's simply a discussion point (in my opinion) which I'm making in a dedicated Food forum on a Food related topic.

What's the issue? If it doesn't interest you, why comment at all? Otherwise, why not try making a relevant counter argument rather than just questioning my motives for posting it.

If we took that approach to every topic, there would hardly be any threads. I see far less relevant topics discussed that get pages of debate.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Usually a different type of bun and also rectangular, different salad and sauce.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the McYorkshire burger - basically a quarter pounder but using a yorkshire pudding rather than a bun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, it's simply a discussion point (in my opinion) which I'm making in a dedicated Food forum on a Food related topic.

What's the issue? If it doesn't interest you, why comment at all? Otherwise, why not try making a relevant counter argument rather than just questioning my motives for posting it...
    If you took the time to read your own thread, you'd see I already commented on the topic in hand. Each to his/her own, but if you enjoy wasting energy bitching about things which don't even interest you, good luck.:yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I'm a keen cook (not a chef :D) and have eaten and cooked all sorts of lovely food from around the globe. However, I did some homemade McDonalds burgers the other day which were SUBLIME! Nothing like comfort food. ;)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    tomtit wrote: »
    I'm a keen cook (not a chef :D) and have eaten and cooked all sorts of lovely food from around the globe. However, I did some homemade McDonalds burgers the other day which were SUBLIME! Nothing like comfort food. ;)
    Cool. I made Big Macs the other week with the double bun and the secret sauce (mayo, thousand island dressing, sugar, finely diced onion and pickle). They were great!
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always fall for the McDonald's promotional burger. They are invariably not much cop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    If you took the time to read your own thread, you'd see I already commented on the topic in hand. Each to his/her own, but if you enjoy wasting energy bitching about things which don't even interest you, good luck.:yawn:

I never said it didn't interest me, I simply stated that I don't eat McD's all that often, although I did later mention that partially off the back of this entire discussion, I did out of curiosity call in to try the Chicago burger this week. As I say, it's hardly wasting energy - it's minutes of idle time to post on a forum for crying out loud. You are acting as if I'm putting my whole life on hold just to discuss this.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    I had the Texas Grande today and thought it was lovely. I would still like to ask them what they think Pepperoni has got to do with Texas but never mind.