Dallas Buyers Club

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. What a performance it looks like from Matthew.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. What a performance it looks like from Matthew.

Yeh I'm drained just watching the trailer. He's unrecognisable and the storyline seems very different and emotional.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing how Matthew McConaughey has turned his career around the last couple of years.

His performance in Mud earlier this year is my favourite acting performance of the year thus far, and he is also in Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street later in the year as well as what looks like being a pretty remarkable turn in Dallas Buyers Club.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    It looks really good. In the trailer, Matthew McConaughey bares a pretty striking resemblance to John Phillips from The Mamas and the Papas. Watching 'Mud' recently has made me have a bit of u-turn in regards to Matthew McConaughey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing about Mud. Need to watch that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I keep hearing about Mud. Need to watch that.

was a terrific little film, it's kind of the love child of stand by me and the fugitive, in a good way...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when this film will be released?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when this film will be released?

It's premiering (like most potential Oscar-bait movies) at the Toronto Film Festival in a couple of weeks, and then will be on general release in the USA at the start of November, so I assume we'll probably get it around that time as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's premiering (like most potential Oscar-bait movies) at the Toronto Film Festival in a couple of weeks, and then will be on general release in the USA at the start of November, so I assume we'll probably get it around that time as well.

From the link posted the UK release is Feb next year. Similar scenario to Lincoln, which had a UK release of Jan while it was released in the US in November in the US.

I think sometimes it's because being released around awards season can help drive the international box office for films that are likely to be in contention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, thanks :)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think sometimes it's because being released around awards season can help drive the international box office for films that are likely to be in contention.
    True. It also acts as a reminder that the US is still the testing ground for many a release. If it's a hit there (with critics or public), they can go about ramping up the publicity for it in other markets in the run up to its release. These days that release gap irritates some, but it's served the industry well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matthew's winning awards already :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's released in the UK on 7th February :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    It's released in the UK on 7th February :)

Why the long wait if the US are getting the film at the end of November? :(

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dvd screener is out and is a fantastic film
    Matthew M and Jared Leto give such astonishing performances. Even Jennifer Garner is brilliant too. I learned something about the treatment of dealing with Aids i had never known before. It is an eye opening film. I would urge anyone to see this.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've downloaded this, but it's a busy time of year for us Oscar voters! Hope I'll get to it sooner rather than later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Why the long wait if the US are getting the film at the end of November? :(

I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

Its quite common for some of the big Oscar contenders not to be released till jan and feb, with earlier US releases, it's a case with a number of the likely best picture nominees. In part I think when films are nominated for the major awards it can be used as a marketing tool oversees.

Anyway, this is the Oscar contender for this year I am most excited to see. :)
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dallas Buyers Club [2013]

Watched it last night, it was a great movie.

9/10

Excellent performance by Matthew McConaughey.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both matthew and Jared deserve to walk away with Best actor and supporting actor oscars. They are the two most strongest male performances I have seen in quite a few years, since Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine and James Franco in 127 hours. I really can't compliment them anymore.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic film, watched it today. Matthew and Jared simply must get the oscars they deserve for this. Its a movie everyone needs to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think Jared Leto is more enjoyable. Matthew is fantastic, no doubt about it, but I feel his physical appearance is more to credit.

The film is ok. Kind of all over the place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's good to know that it lives up to the hype :)
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Went to a preview screening on Thursday & thought that Matthew McConaughey's performance in this was simply superb, it's possibly the best that's he's produced to date and therefore, for me at least, more than deserves the recognition it's been getting awards wise.

Jared Leto surprised me by being very decent in this and I really enjoyed (in a heartbreaking kind of way) how the relationship between his & McConaughey's characters developed.

Overall I have to say that I really, really loved this movie consequently it gets a comfortable & well deserved 9/10 from me...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got tickets for the bfi preview screening of this a couple of days before it's official release date, looking forward to it :)

Leto and McConaughey looking good for oscars this season, having just bagged SAG awards to add to their haul.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Started off really well, but lost its way a bit for me. I know the Jared Leto character didn't exist in real life, but I'd like to have seen the development of the character more rather than some of the scenes we saw. The performance from Matthew Mahogany was very good, although I hope his physical appearance and the subject matter isn't adding on extra points ahead of maybe better performances come awards time.

7.5/10