The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Excellent for Corrie. Did we feature the wrong episode on the RPG? It looks like we might have done.

Ouch. Not a great peak! Looks like viewers are voting with the ultimate gadget of all... their remote controls. ;)

Perhaps they're using the gadget Sky supplies them with and are recording it or watching on Anytime or Anytime+?

What was that timeshift for American Horror Story, 500+%?
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 23rd January Overnights
    BBC One
    06:00- Breakfast: 1.5m (34.5%)
    13:45- Doctors: 1.9m (23.9%)
    18:00- BBC News at Six: 5.1m (25.0%)
    18:30- Regional News and Weather: 6.2m (28.6%)
    19:00- The One Show: 4.7m (20.8%)
    19:30- Inside Out: 3.7m (15.4%)
    20:00- EastEnders: 9.1m (35.4%)
    20:30- Train Fares: Taken for a Ride? - Panorama: 2.5m (9.5%)
    21:00- The Royal Bodyguard: 2.8m (11.1%)
    21:30- Mrs Brown's Boys: 5.2m (20.0%)
    22:00- BBC News at Ten: 4.8m (23.4%)
    22:35- A Question of Sport: 2.8m (17.8%)

BBC Two
    18:00- Eggheads: 2.2m (11.0%)
    18:30- Great British Railway Journeys: 2.2m (10.3%)
    19:00- Baking Made Easy: 1.3m (5.8%)
    19:30- A Question of Taste: 1.1m (4.8%)
    20:00- University Challenge: 2.8m (11.0%)
    20:30- An Island Parish: 1.8m (7.0%)
    21:00- The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines: A Wonderland Film: 1.3m (5.2%)
    22:00- Mock the Week... Again: 1.5m (7.2%)
    22:30- Newsnight: 0.8m (5.7%)

ITV1 (inc ITV1+1)
    06:00- Daybreak: 0.7m (17.6%)
    08:30- Lorraine: 0.8m (16.6%)
    09:25- The Jeremy Kyle Show: 1.5m (28.1%)
    18:30- ITV News & Weather: 4.0m (18.2%)
    19:00- Emmerdale: 8.0m (35.9%)
    * exc +1: 7.94m (35.4%)
    19:30- Coronation Street: 10.6m (44.6%)
    * exc +1: 10.48m (44.0%)
    20:00- Cornwall with Caroline Quentin: 4.6m (18.0%)
    * exc +1: 4.4m (17%)
    20:30- Coronation Street: 11.2m (43.3%)
    21:00- Above Suspicion: Silent Scream: 6.0m (23.2%)
    * exc +1: 5.73m (22.4%)
    22:00- ITV News at Ten & Weather 2.3m: (11.4%)

Channel 4 (inc C4+1)
    18:30- Hollyoaks: 1.3m (5.8%)
    19:00- Channel 4 News: 0.7m (3.2%)
    20:00- SuperScrimpers: 1.8m (6.8%)
    * exc +1: 1.43m (5.5%)
    21:00- Coppers: 2.6m (10.0%)
    * exc +1: 2.18m (8.5%)
    22:00- Party Paramedics: 1.6m (8.7%)
    * exc +1: 1.42m (7.8%)

Channel 5 (inc C5+1)
    13:45- Neighbours: 729k (9.2%) i]exc +1[/i
    17:30- Neighbours: 1.12m (6.5%) i]exc +1[/i
    18:00- Home and Away: 916k (4.6%) i]exc +1[/i
    18:30- 5 News: 0.3m (1.3%)
    19:00- World's Toughest Trucker: 0.4m (1.6%)
    * exc +1: 342k (1.5%)
    20:00- Police Interceptors: 1.2m (4.7%)
    * exc +1: 1.11m (4.3%)
    21:00- Celebrity Big Brother: 2.8m (10.9%)
    * exc +1: 2.43m (9.5%)
    22:00- Celebrity Wedding Planner: 0.9m (4.7%)
    * exc +1: 787k (4.3%)
    23:00- Celebrity Big Brother's Bit on the Side: 0.8m (8.7%)

Primetime Shares
    ITV1: 26.1% (+1: 0.7%)
    BBC One: 19.2%
    BBC Two: 6.4%
    Channel 4: 6.1%
    Channel 5: 5.1%

Ratings include HD and are full-slot averages

Multichannel
    5*
    18:30- Home and Away: 519k (2.4%)

BBC Three
    21:00- How Sex Works: 465k (1.8%)
    22:00- EastEnders: 607k (3.0%)

E4
    19:00- Hollyoaks: 485k (2.2%)
    22:00- Skins: 459k (2.6%) , +1: 65k
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Word of mouth and internet seemed to boost CBB last night, because there was no TV promotion or newspaper coverage I would have thought. The episode really proved to everyone that CBB has plenty of life left in it.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. I love it when, against all odds, a good show pulls through and rates well.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow-Corrie and CBB got the ratings they deserved last night. Superb telly. Much higher than I was expecting for both. I only expected Corrie to just about clear 10m considering how recent episodes have rated. I really underestimated the popularity of Becky. For a character who has only been in the show 6 years to get a boost like that is fantastic. Hopefully it will continue with the big affair reveal & trial next week.

Word of mouth and internet seemed to boost CBB last night, because there was no TV promotion or newspaper coverage I would have thought. The episode really proved to everyone that CBB has plenty of life left in it.

If you think there was no newspaper coverage you obviously don't read the Desmond Press - Express and Star are full of it:eek:
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    The above is the tape-checked average between 8.30-8.55pm, by the way, as the episode finished 5 minutes early. The full slot average was 11.2m, 43% (incl +1) peaking with 12.4m. Corrie's 7.30pm episode had 10.6m, 45%.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    That will probably timeshift to over 12 million and will be the top rated soap episode this year.

Great rating for it considering the "lack of snow" and the such like this year. Corrie seems to do better for "big events" than EastEnders does, as shown a few weeks ago.
    all_night wrote: »
    That's a great rating. I guess it will spark the debate about how can Corrie reach this but EE can't (with such significant episodes over the past month)

An excellent rating for Coronation Street and better than EastEnders' ratings featuring Pat's departure. They'll be dancing on the cobblestones in Wetherfield! :D

Now who was it around here that said scheduling of the Monday episodes just made Becky's departure look like a regular episode, so it wouldn't be an event? Shows what we know!
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess nothing could have been done about it, at short notice, but 5 would have massively benefitted from putting BOTS right after the main show.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,597
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    An excellent rating for Coronation Street and better than EastEnders' ratings featuring Pat's departure. They'll be dancing on the cobblestones in Wetherfield! :D

Now who was it around here that said scheduling of the Monday episodes just made Becky's departure look like a regular episode, so it wouldn't be an event? Shows what we know!

Who was it?
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    If you think there was no newspaper coverage you obviously don't read the Desmond Press - Express and Star are full of it:eek:
    Not really. I've had a flick through at work and there wasn't as much coverage for CBB as I was expecting. It's not even been on the front pages some days. In any case the silly headlines in the Star probably has a negative effect if anything.

CBB is having to work hard for it's 2.8mil. It ain't got many friends in the publishing world now, that's for sure.
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    CBB deserved it's ratings.

Corrie did very well but it would have been nice to see Becky ordering her last snake bite! :D
    Forum Member
    Just seen that CBB had 370k on +1. That's a new record for the timeshift service.

It proves word of mouth helped it a lot last night as news spread that it was a big episode.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Poor opening for Skins. Have to wait for timeshift figures though before writing it off.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really pleased to see MBB up 500k on the week, which should push it back into the high 6s in the official ratings. It was a cracking episode.

Nice to see TRB lifting slightly and not falling further. Still dire of course, but ITV does much worse in primetime and more often.

That Corrie rating is an eye opener, even if I say so grudgingly. Didn't see that coming anyway. I don't really watch, so had no idea it was "a big episode" last night. But presumably the tabloids, chav mags and daytime fluffer shows were all full of it and building it up.

Was there also snow anywhere last night, perchance? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Who was it?

There was talk about the scheduling of episodes in the other thread about how ITV should put the soaps back on Sunday. I REALLY don't want soaps on Sundays as I like a day free from them. If ITV put good shows on people will watch like The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Downton Abbey etc.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    E4
    22:00- Skins: 459k (2.6%) , +1: 65k

Poor start for Skins, although it has been available online for some time already. It had a lot of trailers over the past few weeks on TV and in cinema adverts so looks like the last series may well have done some lasting damage to the brand. Perhaps it will increase as the online viewers start watching it live next week. Personally I thought last night's ep was much better than any of last year, so at least the show has a chance of increasing now.

Previous Skins overnight ratings:

Series 1 premiere - 1.37m (9.41%) [+1 275k]
    Series 2 premiere - 884k (5.9%) [+1 160k]
    Series 3 premiere - 665k (4.1%) [+1 169k]
    Series 4 premiere - 938k (5.1%) [+1 164k]
    Series 5 premiere - 823k (4.6%) [+1 113k]
    Series 6 premiere - 459k (2.6%) [+1 65k]

Series 1 average - 822k (5.7%) [inc +1 1.1m]
    Series 2 average - 663k (4.3%) [inc +1 805k]
    Series 3 average - 707k [inc +1 890k]
    Series 4 average - 746k (4.1%) [inc +1 924k]
    Series 5 average - 503k (2.8%) [inc +1 634k]
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be some disappointment at ITV that with an 11.5m lead in and 2.8m competition on BBC1, Above Suspicion could only muster 5.7m - only 500k ahead of Mrs Brown which had a 30 minute/2.8m lead-in handicap.

I do find these La Plante plodders massively dull and procedural now, it's "crime drama by numbers".

It seems the viewers agree... (cf: 6m+ for Birdsong, c10m for CTM, 10m for Sherlock, 10m for that thing in the stately home)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is worth a read.

TV viewing and ad exposure remained high in 2011
    Viewers in the UK are still exposed to a record number of TV ads, with figures from 2011 showing an increase on the previous year.

A survey conducted by Thinkbox using BARB data said that that the average Briton saw up to 47 ads a day, an increase of 2.6% on 2010.

The study also revealed that the average viewer watched up to 28 hours and 14 minutes a week last year. Of these hours 64% were spent watching commercial channels, with 72% of the viewers aged between 16 and 34.

Incidentally 90.6% of TV viewing was experienced live – a figure that does not appear affected by watching catch-up programmes on laptops or tablets. Although this past-time was not measured in the study, the report claims that it doesn’t appear to be "impacting linear viewing".

Also the study shows that 9.4% of TV is enjoyed by “time shifted” viewing on recorded digital devices. This demonstrates the increase of digital recorders in the home; in fact 50% of UK households now own a Sky+ box or device capable of recording live TV. Advert exposure on these devices is obviously less measureable as commercial breaks are easily skipped through when pre-recorded.

"These figures explain why so many tech companies want to join the TV industry. Many companies are flocking to launch new TV services or social media services that feed off people's love affair with TV", said Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox's managing director.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing for Corrie. Spectacular figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This demonstrates the increase of digital recorders in the home; in fact 50% of UK households now own a Sky+ box or device capable of recording live TV.

As 50% of homes have pay TV and the vast majority of those have Sky+/V+ boxes, the figures demonstrate how low PVR ownership is in Freeview homes.

They seem to be the ones watching the majority of ads.
    Forum Member
    ESPN's ratings are about to go through the roof...for one weekend only:
    ESPN is to broadcast the first freely available Premier League match on Freeview as part of a weekend promotion to drive awareness of the channel.

The FAPL leaders Manchester City will play Chelsea on 4 February, with the match available to a potential audience of 20 million, as part of the ESPN Free Weekend which will open up the channel to all BT Vision, Sky and TopUp TV subscribers, as well as Freeview homes.

Source: Broadcast.

Got to love Disney. That's one of their best games of the season and they are giving it away FREE.

Sky would probably give you Bolton v Wigan at a push and even that would break their hearts. It sure as hell wouldn't be available to Freeview users either.
    Forum Member
    Actually looking at the fixture list... Broadcast are wrong. It's City v Fulham that weekend. Still a decent freebie though.
  • rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demographic Information for BBC1 and ITV1 covering the period of Sunday 15th to 22nd January: http://i42.tinypic.com/2hmotok.jpg
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Hate to say it, but I did call that Corrie was going to get a big rating :p I predicted it would surpass last year's Valentine's Day episode (its highest 2011 rating) was I right? I should get involved in this rating lark a bit more often! :p
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the Dancing On Ice twist is revealed. Will it help it against Call The Midwife and Top Gear?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s101/dancing-on-ice/news/a361689/dancing-on-ice-celebrities-go-head-to-head-in-skating-battle-twist.html
    That's one spoiler from The Voice The X Factor didn't really get around too.
    Another idea ripped-off from SCD - have the ITV producers no original ideas of their own at all ? The BBC should sue
    Can't recall Strictly doing anything like that. There has been a lot of crap written here about Dancing on Ice over the last few days (I don't really understand why BBC fanboys are so threatened by it!). Yes, it gets quite a bit wrong (the ads, Christine Bleakley, the line up isn't great!) but as a competition and a format it is in no way as inferior to Strictly as some people here like to make out.
    He said "newspaper".
    garyessex wrote: »
    Poor opening for Skins. Have to wait for timeshift figures though before writing it off.
    The trouble with the two series cycle is I think most people wrote it off last year. The premiere seems to have been seen as an improvement on last year, but can't see it building in the overnights to much more than 600,000 throughout the series - which we shouldn't forget is actually still pretty damn good for E4, but not the 800,000-1m you expect from their drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Got to love Disney. That's one of their best games of the season and they are giving it away FREE.

Sky would probably give you Bolton v Wigan at a push and even that would break their hearts. It sure as hell wouldn't be available to Freeview users either.

Perhaps Sky don't need to give away matches?

ESPN must be struggling. I've just been given two months free, with no contract. So I'm getting all their matches FREE.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Strange how a character's departure who's only been in the show for 5 years got 11.5m but Pat Butcher's who has been in her soap for 20+ years got less than 10m.

It's not just about the duration of the character - Pat was on the sidelines for years before she went, while Becky has completely dominated for years now and has arguably been Corrie's lead character since about 2010. Becky's exit is a much bigger thing in context of the show itself.
This discussion has been closed.