Sue Perkins as the Doctor. Should it happen after Matt leaves?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure many of you have read somewhere on the net this week, that a sci-fi website (not sure which one), is trying to get Sue Perkins as the first female Time Lord. I like Sue a lot. She can be funny. She does look as though she could hold a sonic screwdriver and act all Doctory, but I'm not sure fans would stay with the show for long.

They are taking a big risk at suggesting Sue and trying to get her in the lead role. We had Joanna Lumley as the Doctor in the 1999 Comic Relief special, but that was only a spoof. It didn't join in with any of the proper stories.

What do you think? Do you want Sue as the Doctor? Will it work?

Which female celebrity do you think would genuinely nail it as the Doctor and do good?

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The "information" the Daily Mirror got was actually a fan poll that wanted her in a Big Finish Unbound Audio, not the TV show. The Mirror made that up. IMO having Perkins in an audio is a far more agreeable option than playing the Doctor on screen :)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you read this, then you will know that they are trying to get Sue as the Doctor for the TV series.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a458343/doctor-who-sue-perkins-subject-of-female-doctor-campaign.html
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    They got that from the Daily Mirror, who got their facts wrong.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we were to have a female Doctor, and I see no need for one, Sue Perkins definitely shouldn't be the one.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No
    just to summarize for you: No
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Sue as a presenter, but I'm not sure as an actress - not sure I've actually seen her act.

If she is a good enough actress then why not?

If the story was any more than a bunch of fans thinking she'd be good of course - it's not going to happen.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No

Agreed, Annoying woman.

NO !!!
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    God I hope not, I can't abide Sue Perkins. There's just something about her that makes me want to switch off any show that she pops up in.
  • dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I will never accept a female Doctor, I'm sorry. It just seems like needless box ticking.

Sue Perkins in the series in some capacity though would be lovely, some sort of dotty academic type perhaps? Love the woman. Though I guess she's not an actress, but then neither was Kat Jenkins tbh.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please :)

Screw the naysayers, if not Paterson Joseph them she will be more than adequate ;):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to start a campaign to get my bathroom cabinet to be the next doctor. Its older than it looks. Is alot bigger on the inside. Has two compartments when it looks like it should just have the one. Oh and it committed mass genocide on all other bathroom cabinets to save the universe. And when I say universe I mean the 'bathroom accessories' section of Homebase. And lets be honest. After all these years of white, British male dominance isn't it about time the bathroom furniture demographic was suitably represented? To Twitter! Next stop- a side bar in the Daily Star. You read it here first.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect quickly to become a lost viewer if Sue Perkins were to assume the role. Quite apart from the insulting tokenism, I've always found her specifically to grate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to start a campaign to get my bathroom cabinet to be the next doctor. Its older than it looks. Is alot bigger on the inside. Has two compartments when it looks like it should just have the one. Oh and it committed mass genocide on all other bathroom cabinets to save the universe. And when I say universe I mean the 'bathroom accessories' section of Homebase. And lets be honest. After all these years of white, British male dominance isn't it about time the bathroom furniture demographic was suitably represented? To Twitter! Next stop- a side bar in the Daily Star. You read it here first.

I'm not sure you've really thought this through. For example, does your bathroom cabinet have a mirrored door? That could make filming very difficult, as the director would have to always ensure the neither the camera or crew were in the reflection.

Also, the Doctor is a bit of an action figure and does a lot of running about and shouting. Bathroom cabinets don't have legs so would have to be carried. I suppose they could use the Dalek solution and use some sort of hover thing, but that could cost a lot of CGI money.

How about casting a comfy chair as the next Doctor? The companion could then sit in it and do all the talking, before getting up and pushing it about. That could also attract some top caliber acting talent to the show, as who wouldn't be interested in a job where they can perform from a comfy chair.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were to get a female doctor I'd want an actress not a celebrity.

I like Sue Perkins but there is no way she would ever be cast in a major role like this - she simply doesn't have the acting experience.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know who she is but no. The day they seriously try to have a female Doctor that's the day I stop watching.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, has anyone clocked the fact that

she is not an actress

and

she has no acting training

and

she is a presenter/writer/comedienne and presenters tend to be very bad actors as they have had no acting training
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. The Doctor is male. Leave him that way. The show could lose half of the viewership/purchasers if they make a jumping-the-shark move like this.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person I'd want to play a female doctor would be Jenna, other than that there's no one.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    dorkjacksn wrote: »
    It just seems like needless box ticking.

Coming in Series 10... the first black gay doctor.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »

Which, of course, wouldn't be in any way unwelcome, silly or paticularly noteworthy.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

I think you mean the first black gay female immigrant ginger Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you mean the first black gay female immigrant ginger Doctor.

Who's a single parent and has a disability
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I don't mind if a woman plays the Doctor, all I want to know is, Will they take their clothes off???!
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    D.j. wrote: »
    I don't mind if a woman plays the Doctor, all I want to know is, Will they take their clothes off???!

Well, I suppose the last three Doctors have all done it (Dalek, Journey's End, Eleventh Hour, The Lodger), so fair's fair, eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This would be fine. As long as he remains a man the rest is pretty fluid although of course there are character traits one expects from a doctor. And rightly so. But colour and sexuality are no issue. Gender is.