Britain's Brightest

Comments

• shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I was glad to see Sam out first. I couldn't stand how cocky he was! :mad:

Me too! And glad Andy won.
    Zoe had a definite advantage going third in that couples round.
    And bet the straight guy paired up with the other guy on national tv wasn't best pleased!!!
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn some good answers tonight

Thought Alan nailing (86 x 27) - 3 was good but Andy's correct answer after just hearing 'How many times...' was even better
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Me too! And glad Andy won.
    Zoe had a definite advantage going third in that couples round.
    And bet the straight guy paired up with the other guy on national tv wasn't best pleased!!!

I'm sure he isn't worried. He gets to bang that fit bird every night!
  • margohmargoh Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    What was the point of Bill Bailey being there?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    margoh wrote: »

No point really....it could have been anyone tbh!
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smug git! I nearly smashed the telly when he won last week! & there really should be a penalty for being under on the chair round!
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    margoh wrote: »

Nothing really, except to see him bursting out of his shirt :eek:;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Here's an idea for a round for the next series-TV Maths

Add the number of episodes of Dads Army to the number of episodes of Are You Being Served?
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand how Zoe can come under 28 seconds by 9 seconds and not be penalised, yet Claire goes 2 seconds over and gets points deducted. Utterly absurd.

And Zoe going last in the coupling up round has a clear advantage. And how in God's name is matching one person to another a sign of brightness?

All in all it was quite a pitiful show. It does not deserve a second series.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

When Clare called him 'Champion 2013' I said to the OH there won't be a champion 2014...
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No tension, no excitement, didn't identify with the contestants,didn't care what happened (and poor old Clare thundered around the set like a cart horse).
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Alan is the one I dislike

Why? Alan really is a nice fella.
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was decent fare for a Saturday evening, although I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the latter ones. I also hoped it would go on for a bit longer - one televised knockout round then into the final (with one exception) seemed a bit too rushed for me.

And, regarding that one exception (who went on to win) I thought he had a pretty big advantage. I've no problem in principle with run-offs for losers in their heats, but when the series is this short it gave Andy twice as much time to learn tactics and coping under pressure as the people who got through the the final through winning their heat.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Least arrogant of the 2 got the furthest and andy deserved the win. Pleased smug sam went first and clair who i couldnt stand at all just lost it which was hilarious to see. Dont think high and mighty of yourself if you cant back it up
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    I can't understand how Zoe can come under 28 seconds by 9 seconds and not be penalised, yet Claire goes 2 seconds over and gets points deducted. Utterly absurd.

And Zoe going last in the coupling up round has a clear advantage. And how in God's name is matching one person to another a sign of brightness?

Agree totally with your post, the scoring system was bizarre, and the various tasks in the final owed as much to luck and chance rather than brains.

Watching juggling numbers with the chance that you have not even seen the numbers, a game of snap with couples, and in the last game Andy had the upper hand of going back to a question that he has already had chance to see whilst his opponents seconds were counting down.

This programme should have concentrated on known Mensa tests, rather than flimsy games which were not even entertaining. I never thought that a game of 'Catchphrase' could constitute finding the brightest brain in Britain. :eek:

As the series went on it got worse and like its competitor Splash and Dancing On Ice, I see no reason for it to be recommissioned next year.

....... and talk about Claire Balding overload, have we not seen enough of her already. :rolleyes::( She will be beginning to have the 'Christine Bleakley' doom factor if she is not careful.:eek:
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    I think it's because it's easier to come over time than to come under. As we have seen, lots of people get so engrossed in the word game that they stop thinking about the time. If someone stops the clock early, it shows that they're still thinking about the clock, and even if they haven't got it exactly right, they didn't just forget about it while they were working on the words.

I enjoyed the final - Andy was a worthy winner, though I was supporting Zoe at the end.

I thought it was a shame about Clair - things just didn't go her way in the final, which was a pity because out of all of them she was the one who had been the most impressive in the heats, and I thought she stood a really good chance of winning. Sam was never going to win - I really liked him and he is clearly a bright chap, but he was clearly the weakest out of the five, and he really only won his heat on one challenge - the multi-tasking. Alan was very good, but there were just other people who were better.

Does anyone know if there will be a Series 2? I hope so... I noticed that in the heats, Clare referred to 'the title of Britain's Brightest', but in the final, she said 'Britain's Brightest 2013' which implies that there may have been some talk about a second series.
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    He knew the name of Gerri Halliwell's daughter ........ yes that makes him Britain's Brightest!!

Get away ......... Kevin Ashman, ex Mastermind champion and Egghead is brighter than him. ;)

Glad Andy won, by the way you never become an Ex Mastermind champion, if you win that your always be a Mastermind champion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does anyone know if there will be a Series 2? I hope so... I noticed that in the heats, Clare referred to 'the title of Britain's Brightest', but in the final, she said 'Britain's Brightest 2013' which implies that there may have been some talk about a second series.

Not sure about another series, but I hope there is. I found it quite enjoyable and easy to watch (albeit I got very lost on some of the games :o)
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and hope there is another series. I like quiz shows which are a bit of a challenge and it's a change to have something other than general knowledge questions.

I don't know why there is so much negativity on here about Clare Balding. She seems intelligent and I thought she was well suited to that type of programme. It's unfair to criticise her just because she doesn't look like a stick-thin model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it and hope there is another series. I like quiz shows which are a bit of a challenge and it's a change to have something other than general knowledge questions.

I don't know why there is so much negativity on here about Clare Balding. She seems intelligent and I thought she was well suited to that type of programme. It's unfair to criticise her just because she doesn't look like a stick-thin model.

I actually like Clare hosting this. I've warmed to her since the Olympics and its good to see her hosting a show on her own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nearly all game shows that has a title always put a year next to them.

Like The People's Quiz 2007. Whatever happened to that show ;):p
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    T Penery wrote: »
    Nearly all game shows that has a title always put a year next to them.

Like The People's Quiz 2007. Whatever happened to that show ;):p

Yes, I know, but the point I was making was that there appeared to be a change in what Clare said. Previously she'd always said 'the title Britain's Brightest' and in the final she said 'the title Britain's Brightest 2013', so I thought maybe something had changed and there had been discussion about a second series, so she was told to change what she was saying. Not likely I know, as the episodes were filmed quite close to each other, but it was a passing thought.

I think Britain's Brightest was better than The People's Quiz. The latter, if I remember correctly (I was only 13 at the time), didn't really have a unique selling point. It was an ongoing quiz to find a champion, but there was nothing that differentiated it from something like Mastermind which is a lot more simple and addictive. Plus, they showed too much of the audition process onscreen, which got very cumbersome. Britain's Brightest, on the other hand, is different to most that have come before it because it's not a simple general knowledge quiz, it's more of an intellectual talent search. It needs a bit of tweaking - it might work better if they had shorter episodes but more of them, and the scoring system is hard to understand - but it's something the audience can get involved with and practice at home, Clare is a good host despite it not being what she's known for, and I honestly think that if it's given a chance it could become a big success. I'm not holding my breath for that because shows of this ilk are often one-hit wonders, but I for one would be very happy to see it recommissioned.
  • Reggie PerrinReggie Perrin Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    In the final round, the man (who eventually won) only went back and answered all the questions the woman got wrong because he had more thinking time while the woman had to go on and answer other questions because her clock was ticking down! No wonder he won.

This final round needs to be changed if the series comes back - and given its highest ratings for this last episode (due mainly to an absence of Tom Daley's nipples on ITV), it probably will.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the final round, the man (who eventually won) only went back and answered all the questions the woman got wrong because he had more thinking time while the woman had to go on and answer other questions because her clock was ticking down! No wonder he won.
    But that's the whole point ! If she'd been 'bright' enough to answer the first question she picked, he wouldn't have had the advantage. The fact that he was ahead on the leader board gave him the advantage of going second, but she could easily have won if she had answered her questions correctly.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed that the scoring system for the 'stop the clock' round needs to change. Currently you might as well just plan to come in far below the time but get 3 or 4 words. (So if it's 28 seconds try and come in after 20 or so having got a few words - you'll get a positive score and won't lose anything.)

I think the final round does work. Going in to it in the lead is obviously (rightly) a big advantage. And I think they're allowed to go back to numbers that haven't been guessed so they can try a question more than once?