ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10

I joined DS about 4 years ago, when ITV had been through the decade from hell and they were still showing junk like Hell's Kitchen. Now most of the celebreality has gone, their entertainment( while still sometimes dire) is far better than even two years ago, they knock out a few good dramas and some of the factual is excellent. I'd say average, but getting better, and they now have a regular set of hits. Also of the minor channels, shouldn't ITV 4 be praised for showing growing sports like cycling and tennis instead of just football.
    Channel 4, meanwhile, as you say is over reliant on past it game shows, not to forget Come Dine With Me, which never seems to be off, and a soap that makes Neighbours look class. Also the Campaign for Real Sex documentaries are extremely tasteless and not rating well.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All channels seem to go through bad cycles these days, ITV had it's blip in the Noughties. It's Channel 4's turn now but I'm sure it'll come back...in some way.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Official weekly ratings share for the first two weeks of Itv Encore have been released:

Week 1 - 0.2%
    Week 2 - 0.1%

Source: www.barb.co.uk

Very poor ratings for Itv Encore given all the promotion and marketing it had. The high profile Broadchurch repeats averaged only 60,000 viewers. Looks like there is no appetite for a second Itv drama channel, Itv3 is more than enough.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    All channels seem to go through bad cycles these days, ITV had it's blip in the Noughties. It's Channel 4's turn now but I'm sure it'll come back...in some way.

They don't help with not showing a afternoon film like they used to, I know there is Film4 but surly anything is better then Come Dine With Me and DOND.
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see the point in ITV Encore. It seems a little pointless.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »

Sky wanted it so are paying itv to provide it as a pay channel.

As with most of business the point is to make money.

For Sky it adds to the differentiation from other platforms, for itv it is profitable from Day 1 due to the fees Sky are paying them.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    I cant understand why ITVs HD Channels and ITV Encore are behind the pay wall. Surely more would watch the channels if it they were free to view
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    I cant understand why ITVs HD Channels and ITV Encore are behind the pay wall. Surely more would watch the channels if it they were free to view

Because Sky pay them to be exclusive to Sky.

What is so difficult to grasp about Sky paying them more in fees than the additional ad revenue minus carriage costs that can be earned from being on Freeview?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, has Samuel really dug up *this* thread again, even though the points he is making aren't even relevant to this thread :o
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »

Pay TV allows them to diversify their income streams so that they are not wholly reliant on advertising and sponsorship, as they were when the economy collapsed and they had a cash shortage in 2009. If there is another advertising recession they will still have Sky's income.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooooooooooooo!!! :eek: kill it now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV still has some big problems- it's still doing badly at breakfast, daytime has fallen behind BBC One and really needs some changes, and many of their entertainment formats are awful- but they have recovered from the recession quite well. In drama they are making some excellent shows, they're trying comedy again, the creation of two paywall channels should make money and some of their factual content is good.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Where I used to see classics like Minder,the Sweeney,the Professionals,London's Burning in the 9pm slots - I know see cooking,cheap documentaries and shows that would not have been out of place in Alan Partridges (dreadful) TV programme ideas from his series.
    Cooking in Prison
    Inner City sumo
    Monkey Tennis....anyone.
    Forum Member
    Only 4.0million for the second Emmerdale episode last night, one of its worst ever overnight ratings for a regularly scheduled episode.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Only 4.0million for the second Emmerdale episode last night, one of its worst ever overnight ratings for a regularly scheduled episode.

That was probably due to an hour ep of eastenders
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie and Emmerdale were the number 1 and 2 programme ratings last night on tv so it doesnt screen "crisis" to me. :D
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    That was probably due to an hour ep of eastenders

Or a sign that people were enjoying the good weather, and have lives that don't hinge on watching soaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Or a sign that people were enjoying the good weather, and have lives that don't hinge on watching soaps.
    Maybe they're just not such a big deal now.
    Forum Member
    Industry magazine Broadcast confirms Itv has had a poor first six months of the year in the ratings, with their viewing figures down more than any other major broadcaster:
    ITV suffered the biggest decline of all PSB networks in that period [January 2014 to June 2014], both in all-time (-5.1%) and peak (-4%). ITV’s family was down 6.2% in alltime (-4.4% in peak), with a big drop for ITV2 (-13% in all time) and ITV3 (-11% in all-time). The 9 June arrival of pay-TV drama channel ITV Encore (25,000/0.2% after 12 consolidated days) looks well timed.

ITV
    ITV’s weekday 7pm-10.30pm peak fell by 2.5%. The standout slot in the schedule was 8pm, most strikingly Wednesdays, which grew by 18% thanks to Big Star’s Little Star (4.1 million/18%) and You Saw Them Here First (3.7 million/16%) – not blockbusters but a significant improvement on 2013’s Food Glorious Food (2.4 million/10%). After a barnstorming 2013, Coronation Street was down 6% on last year.

At 9pm, ITV’s share fell by 8%. Despite strong dramas The Widower (average: 7.5 million/ 26%), Prey (7.2 million/26%) and DCI Banks (7 million/24%), the Monday slot was down 7%. Blame Broadchurch’s ripsnorting average of 9.4 million/31% last year.

On Friday, Piers Morgan’s Life Stories’ 3.5 million/13% was down 27% in share on 2013’s 4.7 million/ 18%, while comedy drama Edge Of Heaven’s 2.1 million/8% was significantly behind 2013’s Ice Cream Girls (6 million/23%) and Life Of Crime (4.2 million/17%), contributing to a 27% year-on-year fall.

ITV’s Saturdays were down nearly 4% in peak. The recently cancelled Splash’s 4.1 million/17% was well behind 2013’s 5.8 million/24% as BBC1 moved The Voice UK into the winter. Sundays were down 7%, with the last-ever Dancing On Ice averaging 5.9 million/21%, compared with 2013’s 7 million/24%.

Meanwhile, Mr Selfridge’s 6.4 million/23% was 14% down on 2013’s 8 million/27%. ITV’s 2015 winter challenge is to quickly establish big new entertainment shows, one of which might be Rising Star, to prevent BBC1 getting away.

BBC 1
    BBC1’s 2.2% peaktime share growth was driven by strong weekends, with Saturday showing a 5% increase, driven largely by The Voice UK’s 8.1 million/33% from January. Sunday’s peak growth (6.6%) came from 8pm (Call The Midwife’s 10.5 million/34%, up more than 7% on 2013) and 9pm dramas. The Musketeers started strongly with 9.3 million/31% for 19 January’s opener, but fell to 5.3 million/20% for the finale on 30 March and averaged 6.3 million/23%, compared with Ripper Street’s 6.5 million/22% in 2013. The Crimson Field’s 6.6 million/ 24% was strong, but there’ll be no second series.

BBC1’s weekday 9pm hour was up 1.7% in share. While Mondays fell 10% against ITV’s strong drama slate, Tuesdays grew by 7.8%, helped by Death In Paradise (8.5 million/31%) and Happy Valley (7.2 million/28%). Thursday was up 13%, with Parking Mad’s 4 million/17% up on 2013’s Britain’s Biggest Hoarders’ 3.4 million/14%, plus four new episodes of Inspector George Gently (6.6 million/25%).

East Enders, down just 0.3% and averaging 7.7 million/33%, seems to have slowed its decline.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/a-tough-act-to-follow-for-itv/5073754.article
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Industry magazine Broadcast confirms Itv has had a poor first six months of the year in the ratings, with their viewing figures down more than any other major broadcaster:

Just because ratings/audience shares are down a little since last year, it doesn't mean there is any sort of crisis! The article even mentions things like Broadchurch last year having such a high audience increased the overall number, but look at the dramas audience numbers from this year and they are still excellent.

ITV are not struggling in any way, sorry I know thats the last thing you wanted to hear Samuel as we all know you have some weird vendetta against ITV (god knows why???)

They are having to create what is basically a second ITV2 (ITVbe) just because advertisers want to spend more money on the channel! Yep, sure, struggling are they:confused::confused:

Face facts Samuel, there isn't any sort of crisis at ITV, so grow up and stop this pathetic little one man war against the company you have going!
  • Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV had a low rating for it's live coverage of England v Costa Rica only 5 million which understandably with it being a dead rubber and a earlier kick off time 5pm UK time which is the finish of the working day in the UK (though most don't finish until 6pm) unlike the Uruguay game (which was a 8pm kick off where the majority had finished work) meant there was a lot more listening to the match on Talksport or BBC R5L in their cars for example (given that many would not be home in time for kick off)
    Forum Member
    Horrific ratings for Itv yesterday:

Scooby Doo 2 - 900k / 7.2% (1.1m / 8.7%)
    News & Weather - 1.8m /12% (1.9m / 12.8%)
    You've Been Framed - 2.2m /14% (2.2m / 14.6%)
    Tipping Point : Lucky Stars - 2.9m / 17.4% (3.1m / 18.7%)
    Star Wars - 1.3m / 7% (1.4m / 7.6%)
    News & Weather - 1.1m / 8.6% (1.2m / 9.8%)

5 more weeks of Star Wars in primetime to go. Beaten by most other terrestrial channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The troll is back, hopefully not for long
  • Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh though ITV is mostly utterly dire I wouldn't be sad to see it disappear, it won't happen any time soon unfortunately. I've never seen a good sitcom on ITV, their football coverage is dire and i'm not a big soap fan, they have the occasional decent drama but those are rare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven88 wrote: »
    Tbh though ITV is mostly utterly dire I wouldn't be sad to see it disappear, it won't happen any time soon unfortunately. I've never seen a good sitcom on ITV, their football coverage is dire and i'm not a big soap fan, they have the occasional decent drama but those are rare.

ITV 4 is good, offering a mixture of sports, action films and re runs of The Professionals, but ITV 3 is just the same tired out repeats, ITV 2 is tacky and overdependent on spin offs from Cowell shows, soap repeats and imports, and the main channel has a few good dramas and factual shows, but the rest is low brow dross that yesterday struggled to get 7 per cent of the audience. Too many of ITV programmes are aimed at a certain type of viewer who likes soaps, gossip and poor entertainment.