Richard Wilson "Comes Out"

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought his being gay was public knowledge, but he's been names in Time Magazine's most influential gay people at number 80 and has discussed his sexuality candidly in an interview. So now we all know, we can stop discussing him in the other thread!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont believe it !
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice piece on Richard here. Always liked him, he seems a true gentleman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2285971/Richard-Wilson-I-dont-mind-people-saying-Im-gay-I-am.html
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruffles wrote: »
    I dont believe it !

Somebody had to say it :D
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Gaius, such a lovely man :D
  • momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked him ever since Tutti Frutti , , I thought it was common knowledge then he was gay , I think I must have just assumed this though.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always loved Richard Wilson. Good on him, whatever. I saw the article and hope he finds a happy relationship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come out of what?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of had an idea he might have been a homosexual. Not that they're all like this but with a lot of them, it's all in the voice. So yeah, I had a bit of an idea.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I think that Richard Wilson's 'coming out' is a bit like Nigel Hawthorne's: "what do you mean, 'out me'? I've never been 'in'!"

A great actor, whose personal life is so utterly humdrum and uninteresting that nobody pays the slightest bit of attention.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was common knowledge.

I have always liked him. I stumbled across a programme he did on BBC4 where he would drive classic cars around the UK on roads that were famous for being very picturesque. He came across as a thoroughly decent person.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other day I watched the episode of Father Ted where he appears as himself when Ted and Dougal go to visit the caves :D Very funny, always thought he was a good sport to do that.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    As I was worried that I could into nasty thread, but no, it lovely thread, he is great man, I meet him once in Sheffield when I was out of stage with friend, he is charming and gentleman.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He used to judge Mr Gay UK
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he was already out. I thought it was common knowledge. :confused:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    momma11 wrote: »
    Liked him ever since Tutti Frutti , , I thought it was common knowledge then he was gay , I think I must have just assumed this though.

Got this on dvd (didn't see it the 1st time round) and much as I loved Robbie Coltrane and Emma Thompson's relationship, the highlight for me was Wilson's Eddie Clockerty and Katy Murphy's Miss Toner. One of the most perfectly pitched screen pairings. Just brilliant. :D
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »

Same. Could've sworn I read it in the papers a few years back.

I like Richard Wilson, has always seemed like a good bloke.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I thought his being gay was public knowledge, but he's been names in Time Magazine's most influential gay people at number 80 and has discussed his sexuality candidly in an interview. So now we all know, we can stop discussing him in the other thread!
    momma11 wrote: »
    I thought this was common knowledge.

I have always liked him. I stumbled across a programme he did on BBC4 where he would drive classic cars around the UK on roads that were famous for being very picturesque. He came across as a thoroughly decent person.
    divingbboy wrote: »

Not to me it wasn't!!

Mind you I couldn't really care less one way or the other
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'd never even thought about it and it doesn't matter
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Not to me it wasn't!!

Mind you I couldn't really care less one way or the other

Probably not really worth being all that bothered that you didn't know about it then, eh?

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    A great actor, whose personal life is so utterly humdrum and uninteresting that nobody pays the slightest bit of attention.

You mean just like everyone else life really?
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never knew he was gay. i actually thought he was married with kids!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

The Thread Police? :confused:
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never knew he was gay. i actually thought he was married with kids!

So did I! I think I must be one of the few people in the entire universe who didn't know he was gay. But then I've never paid any attention to his private life.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did I! I think I must be one of the few people in the entire universe who didn't know he was gay. But then I've never paid any attention to his private life.

That's probably why you didn't know then, shurely... :D
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw some episodes of OFITG over the weekend (UK Gold) and was surprised at just how long ago they were filmed (early 1990s). He's held his age and looks well-preserved considering he was supposed to be playing a bit of a fogey back then! Loved Annette Crosbie, too. I remember her playing the fairy godmother in 'The Slipper And The Rose' when I was a little kid and I thought she was beautiful- even more so than Gemma Craven who was playing Cinderella. Richard and Annette were great together as Victor and Margaret, as well as the supporting cast. I was sad when they killed Victor off, even though it was very well done.