Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    The craving for sugar causes most diet/addiction problems.
    Many of use have a sweet tooth and need a sugar fix/high first thing in the morning and can't wait for the choccy bar etc.
    Best to have loads of protein and some vegetables instead of carbs and make sure you have a good breakfast.Reduce the sugar overtime.It's got to go !
    Snack on pieces of chicken/fish or chese during the day if need be.Prepare by buying this even in Waitrose which does a whole chicken for just over £2 but remove the skin !
    Reduce the sugar intake and I guarantee you will get back all your young weight and energy levels and will not recognise the change in your personality/looks.It's all down to sugar ovedosing which is similar to opiate addiction.Do a google search sugar is the killer and it fuzzles your mind and saps energy.
    See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2268208/Josie-Gibson-speaks-battle-bulge.html
    Luck you have now fiound the answer to so many problems !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    another update :p

weighed myself this morning first thing, and i now lost 3lb..so altogether i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks :)..a big woop ..im walking loads , still watching what i eat and doing my exercise bike and crunches..My works uniform is now getting looser, so is my jeans and other clothes :p ( weigh day was meant to be Friday but i was just curious :D)
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Welcome Johnor, and well done to Orangemaid and everyone who has lost weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo hoo! 1 stone lighter today!

Started eating the right food and cutting out the breads, cheeses and snacks on June 2nd and it is coming off nicely.

Hope it's going well for all those out there too!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done !
    Forum Member
    yes, well done to mirror mirror and everyone :) Its a nice feeling in it :p
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Welcome Johnor, and well done to Orangemaid and everyone who has lost weight.

aww thanks , its getting there, like Mirrormirror said i also cut out bread, crisps, cheese, and just mainly crap stuff and eating more sensible ..Eat less and get more active :D
    Forum Member
    Weighed in at the gym last night. About 77.7kg. Which is more than my target of 77kg, but only by 700g, maybe 1 1/2 lb. So, heading in the right direction after going up to 78kg due to over-reacting to having gone underweight at 76kg. So, in theory all I need to do is continue doing this week what I did last week.
    Forum Member
    I have one at the minute but the speedometer is broke and come off and one of the pedal straps has broken..Does anyone know of any good ones ? There are some i seen on Amazon ? but not sure where to buy one, any suggestions :)

I am stated to save like £5 or £10 a week, and shove the money in one of those saving tins..So when i get to my goal weight i shall open it and see whats in there :p

( there some descent prices and its just like buying a new hoover really Lol)
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    I have one at the minute but the speedometer is broke and come off and one of the pedal straps has broken..Does anyone know of any good ones ? There are some i seen on Amazon ? but not sure where to buy one, any suggestions :)

I am stated to save like £5 or £10 a week, and shove the money in one of those saving tins..So when i get to my goal weight i shall open it and see whats in there :p

( there some descent prices and its just like buying a new hoover really Lol)

Exercise bikes and other exercise machines are easy to buy second hand, sometimes for a fraction of their new price. Many people buy them, and then sell them after hardly using them. Gumtree and Ebay are good places to look. E.g. compare this sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/York-Fitness-C202-Anniversary-Exercise-Bike-Cycle-RRP-over-400-/171064816051?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_ExerciseFitness_ExerciseBikes_JN&hash=item27d441f1b3 to the original new prices. http://www.cyclerunrow.co.uk/york-c202-cycle-home-exercise-bike/

The quality of exercise bikes varies dramatically. From solid well designed machines that are nice to use, to utterly useless piles of junk. Research is necessary. If you buy new in a shop or through gumtree, you can try the bike before making a decision. Otherwise, Argos and Amazon have customer reviews that you can read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Well done to everyone who's done great this week! :)

The bad news is that I've put on half a pound which I sort of expected as been all over this week. I had an interview and got rejected within three hours and I'm still full of this horrendous cold/virus.

The good news is that I've done some measurements this morning and I've lost 3cm off my waist! I haven't really lost that much weight but I'm quite pleased with that, maybe all the exercising and hoop work is having an effect after all. Also, to cheer myself up mid week I bought 2 summery tops in the sale and both were size 10 (size 12 was was far too big) so they're small steps in the right direction.

Orangemaid, I can't help with your exercise bike query but I hope you find one you like. My bro has one which he got from Argos and he likes that one. I used to use it regularly too but his room is that much of a state I can't get to it anymore. I'm starting to wish that I had room for a treadmill.

Have a good week all :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who's done great this week! :)

The bad news is that I've put on half a pound which I sort of expected as been all over this week. I had an interview and got rejected within three hours and I'm still full of this horrendous cold/virus.

The good news is that I've done some measurements this morning and I've lost 3cm off my waist! I haven't really lost that much weight but I'm quite pleased with that, maybe all the exercising and hoop work is having an effect after all. Also, to cheer myself up mid week I bought 2 summery tops in the sale and both were size 10 (size 12 was was far too big) so they're small steps in the right direction.

Orangemaid, I can't help with your exercise bike query but I hope you find one you like. My bro has one which he got from Argos and he likes that one. I used to use it regularly too but his room is that much of a state I can't get to it anymore. I'm starting to wish that I had room for a treadmill.

Have a good week all :)

Hey, don't use the scales as an indication of getting slimmer - they do sometimes lie a little. Half a pound is really nothing. I would say that your weight has not changed.

I have noticed that on days when I appear not to have lost weight that my figure and face have slimmed down. We are still loosing it, but our bodies take time to adjust, believe me!
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After having being dumped I then went the other way and have done nothing but eat and drink huge amounts. I am now back at the weight I started when I came on to this thread (I keep losing and putting it back on).

It's like I'm trapped in some awful cycle.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot you have to get into the mind set of not using food a comfort/celebration. It took me to my age to discover that little fact and be able to act on it. I can only offer you my cures they may or may not work for you.

When I am sad I now make walking my friend, off I go somewhere nice and just get it out of my system, even if when I get home I still eat something at least I have used some of the calories in walking. Celebrations I try to have a day out or go somewhere I have wanted to for a while, and then I walk ;)

Been doing that since January and it's almost second nature now not to reach for the food but put my trainers on and get out there.

If walking isn't possible I sew - so any activity except eating really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Splot you have to get into the mind set of not using food a comfort/celebration. It took me to my age to discover that little fact and be able to act on it. I can only offer you my cures they may or may not work for you.

All good advice. At first I couldn't even look at food. Then I started going out and meeting people at every opportunity (usually involving food).

I wonder how much damage I could have done in a week. It remains to be seen if I actually have put on four pounds! Just two wouldn't be so bad.

At least the utter despair has come back and I've gone off food again. :(
    Forum Member
    Would exercise be an option? I find going out and exercising not only burns calories, it also takes my mind off things. A double benefit.

I hope your depression gets better soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Would exercise be an option? I find going out and exercising not only burns calories, it also takes my mind off things. A double benefit.

I hope your depression gets better soon.

Yeah, I think it would, but I can't get motivated at the moment. Plus I'm working all the hours god sends.
    Forum Member
    Weighed in this morning at the gym. 76 and a bit kg, compared to a target of 77kg. But, I was meant to be weighing myself in the evening, but at the moment it's inconvenient to go to the gym then. I'm pretty sure that I'm close enough to target weight to not be worried. It seems a bit much to go to the gym and back just to weigh myself at evening time.

So, I think I'm going to make 76kg in the morning a second target weight (as I think I gain a bit during the day), and I'll use whichever target is appropriate for the time of day I'm weighing myself.

BTW: Saw a bit of The Rolling Stones at Glasto on IPlayer. Mick Jagger is still slim and trim, and looking fit for someone who's going to be 70 in a few weeks. Shows it can be done.

Good luck, Splot.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    I'm focusing less on the actual weight loss and more on the size of my waistline. Mainly because I'm doing weights and core exercises which will add to my weight anyway. That said, I've lost 2.1 stones in 6 months, dropped from a tight 40" to a comfortable 36" and am reasonably fitter now. My target is to get to a 34" trouser size so not too far to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    I'm focusing less on the actual weight loss and more on the size of my waistline. Mainly because I'm doing weights and core exercises which will add to my weight anyway. That said, I've lost 2.1 stones in 6 months, dropped from a tight 40" to a comfortable 36" and am reasonably fitter now. My target is to get to a 34" trouser size so not too far to go.

Well done! I bet you feel loads lighter!

I have lost 17 pounds in nearly 5 weeks now by eating 3 sensible meals a day, lots of fruits and 4 miles of walking per day.

I feel very very noticeably lighter when walking, sweating less and generally feel so much more energetic. I have another stone to lose, and I will be happy. But I could lose another half on top of that for good measure.

I picked up 3 bags of 4kg sugar today (equivalent weight lose!), and it was friggin' heavy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't seem to have done as much damage as I thought on my break up binge. 9 stone 10 this morning. Hopefully this time next week will be down to 9 stone 8.

Well done to everyone else who is losing weight - good luck to anyone who is struggling!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    I don't seem to have done as much damage as I thought on my break up binge. 9 stone 10 this morning. Hopefully this time next week will be down to 9 stone 8.

Well done to everyone else who is losing weight - good luck to anyone who is struggling!

Well done.

I have just started taking vitamin b complex from Holland and Barretts. My god, what an energy boost! It's unreal - I feel totally alive again, and my appetite has decreased massively! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done.

I have just started taking vitamin b complex from Holland and Barretts. My god, what an energy boost! It's unreal - I feel totally alive again, and my appetite has decreased massively! :D:D:D

Hmm...might have to give that a try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    Hmm...might have to give that a try.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=237

I bought the timed release b-50, they are very strong so I just bite a third of a tablet in the morning and that's enough for me!

Don't take them at night otherwise you won't sleep! :)
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member
    Well done! I bet you feel loads lighter!

I have lost 17 pounds in nearly 5 weeks now by eating 3 sensible meals a day, lots of fruits and 4 miles of walking per day.

Y'know I really don't feel any different. Heck, I don't even notice the change in appearance (though everyone else does it seems, it's really weird when people start using the word 'attractive' in regards to my appearance :D).

The 4 miles a day walking is THE way to lose weight gently. That's what I did first time out and lost 2 stone in about 4 months. Exactly the same as you, cutting out the snacking and just walking around 4 miles about 4 times a week. No major change in diet (just a little bit less of the bad stuff). Though I did put about a stone back on afterwards :(

This time I've gone more for more difficult exercising, more fitness than just weight-loss. Pretty much the same result but added muscle mass. Either way works, just get some fresh air in the lungs :)