Samsng Tablet won't charge

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
I have a 8.9 Samsung Tablet which I like and have no gripes about at all. However, I've noticed that it will only charge when it is switched on - switched on, it charges fine. Switched off, it doesn't. That's odd, but didn't bother me as I simply left it on to charge. I charge it with the Samsung supplied special USB connection - Samsung one end, USB A the other - which is then pushed into a Samsung supplied mains plug.

Trouble is I left it in my car switched on and the battery has run down completely. I've plugged it in, but it's now off and not charging. And it won't turn on because there is absolutely no juice. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I have a 8.9 Samsung Tablet which I like and have no gripes about at all. However, I've noticed that it will only charge when it is switched on - switched on, it charges fine. Switched off, it doesn't. That's odd, but didn't bother me as I simply left it on to charge. I charge it with the Samsung supplied special USB connection - Samsung one end, USB A the other - which is then pushed into a Samsung supplied mains plug.

Trouble is I left it in my car switched on and the battery has run down completely. I've plugged it in, but it's now off and not charging. And it won't turn on because there is absolutely no juice. Any suggestions?

Obvious question but have you tried a different charger?

The Blackberry Playbook suffers from a similar problem, that if run totally flat it won't charge the battery when the charger is connected (PB owners remember that, never let it run flat).

The solution is to step charge it. Now I don't know in your case if there is any sign that the battery starts to charge when the charger is first connected, then it perhaps goes off?

With the Playbook the solution is to keep connecting the charger until the charge light goes out, then disconnect, wait 30 seconds or so and reconnect it. You have to do this long enough for the battery to be able to put enough juice into the BIOS which manages the charging cycle, then once the charging light stays on you have to leave the device OFF until the battery is fully charged. It can take an hour or more to do this!!!

Now I don't know if Samsung have a similar system (the BIOS is used to regulate the charging to prevent the battery overheating) to the Playbook, but it might be worth a shot.

With the Playbook you must use the supplied charger or one with a good current output and not charging off a USB port etc.

One thing, I have noticed some of my devices wont' charge off one of those mains plugs with a USB connector, so try to get hold of a proper charger if you can.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I've been doing a bit of googling and it seems some output simply isn't strong enough. The tablet came with a USB charging cable (Samsung have a special connection like Apple, for no very good reason - why isn't a micro USB good enough for them?) and a plug which takes a USB cable. But I have now ordered on Amazon a proper plug charging (i.e. not effing around with USB) and (I hope that will do the trick. But I'll try your suggestion. In fact, I'll try any suggestion.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I've been doing a bit of googling and it seems some output simply isn't strong enough. The tablet came with a USB charging cable (Samsung have a special connection like Apple, for no very good reason - why isn't a micro USB good enough for them?) and a plug which takes a USB cable. But I have now ordered on Amazon a proper plug charging (i.e. not effing around with USB) and (I hope that will do the trick. But I'll try your suggestion. In fact, I'll try any suggestion.

Yes it's something people often ignore or try to use a phone charger to charge a tablet, that's one if the reasons the Playbook has problems.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most phone chargers won't charge a tablet, you really need a charger with a 2 amp output, that should cure your problem.