The book Doctor Who and the Daleks

Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you read it?

It was originally published in 1964 and most recently in 2011.

It is right at the very beginning - the Doctor, his granddaughter Susan, Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterton. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it right at the beginning. And reading it rather than watching it, my imagination is working overtime!:eek::)

It is narrated by Ian, and the name Dr Who is on page 49:

I saw Susan and the Doctor step out of the Ship and Barbara and I followed slowly.

'Do you know', I said, 'that we don't even know what the Doctor's name is?'

'He doesn't respond to personal questions very well.'

'Maybe not, but I have two I'm determined to ask him when I get him in the right mood - What does he do and who is he?'

There was a short silence. I said, 'Perhaps that's what we ought to call him - "Dr Who?".'

Comments

• JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Have you read it?

It was originally published in 1964 and most recently in 2011.

It is right at the very beginning - the Doctor, his granddaughter Susan, Barbara Wright and Ian Chesterton. I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it right at the beginning. And reading it rather than watching it, my imagination is working overtime!:eek::)

It is narrated by Ian, and the name Dr Who is on page 49:

I saw Susan and the Doctor step out of the Ship and Barbara and I followed slowly.

'Do you know', I said, 'that we don't even know what the Doctor's name is?'

'He doesn't respond to personal questions very well.'

'Maybe not, but I have two I'm determined to ask him when I get him in the right mood - What does he do and who is he?'

There was a short silence. I said, 'Perhaps that's what we ought to call him - "Dr Who?".'

It's a wonderful book. One of my favourites and one of the first I ever read.

I love all the Barnes Common stuff at the beginning in particular, very atmospheric and it really draws you in. Also benefits from placing you in Ian's shoes.

I read this long before I had ever read/seen An Unearthly Child so this was my start for a while.

Cemented my love for Doctor Who this book.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    It's a wonderful book. One of my favourites and one of the first I ever read.

I love all the Barnes Common stuff at the beginning in particular, very atmospheric and it really draws you in. Also benefits from placing you in Ian's shoes.

I read this long before I had ever read/seen An Unearthly Child so this was my start for a while.

Cemented my love for Doctor Who this book.

Thank you. I am glad that someone here has watched it, too.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »

Same here! I remember being very confused when Dr Who Weekly started doing the archives (2nd issue I think?) Whats all this unearthly child stuff?:D:D

(Showing my age there:o)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This book is surprisingly available for the Kindle in the US so I shall endeavour to find a slot for it soon. Or, knowing me, I'll read about half of it then drift off into something else before returning in a year or two to read the first half again.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't recall after all these years if in the early 70's this was my first introduction to Doctor Who or whether it was the show itself, but I remember reading and rereading it,along with the novelisations of the Crusaders and the Web Planet (as Doctor Who and the Zarbi), from my local library. And very good they were too. Makes me feel quite nostalgic just thinking about them :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly me, I meant to say
    I am glad that someone here has read it, too.
    not
    I am glad that someone here has watched it, too.:o

Just looking on ebay - the original version is available, but quite expensive, so I am glad that I bought the more recently published one.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    This was the among the first Target novelisations I read. It made a big impression on me, sitting cross legged on the floor.

Everlasting matches!

I know now that it wasn't originally a Target novel. It predated all that. I knew that the Doctor hadn't always been Tom Baker too. Because I had first seen him.as Jon Pertwee. But then he changed. So it was ok that the Doctor was very different in the book. My mum explained what the Doctor was like before I was born.

David Whitaker made a really good job of it.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I had the origional paperback, the one with the picture of the first Doctor standing outside the Tardis with his red lined cape billowing. At the time I used to mark all the inside covers of my books with my initials. A.M. Over the years, as I grew up and moved out, my mum through out a lot of my old books etc, including all my Dr Who novels !!!!. many years later when I was married I happended to be in a charity shop in the town where I lived and saw a copy of this book for sale. Imagine my surprise when I looked inside and saw my Initials ! Needless to say I bought it and it now has pride and joy amongst my Dr Who collection. Its still a smashing read and gives a different perspective on the early days of Dr Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    This was the among the first Target novelisations I read. It made a big impression on me, sitting cross legged on the floor.

Everlasting matches!

I know now that it wasn't originally a Target novel. It predated all that. I knew that the Doctor hadn't always been Tom Baker too. Because I had first seen him.as Jon Pertwee. But then he changed. So it was ok that the Doctor was very different in the book. My mum explained what the Doctor was like before I was born.

David Whitaker made a really good job of it.

:)
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I had the origional paperback, the one with the picture of the first Doctor standing outside the Tardis with his red lined cape billowing. At the time I used to mark all the inside covers of my books with my initials. A.M. Over the years, as I grew up and moved out, my mum through out a lot of my old books etc, including all my Dr Who novels !!!!. many years later when I was married I happended to be in a charity shop in the town where I lived and saw a copy of this book for sale. Imagine my surprise when I looked inside and saw my Initials ! Needless to say I bought it and it now has pride and joy amongst my Dr Who collection. Its still a smashing read and gives a different perspective on the early days of Dr Who.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Silly me, I meant to say
    I am glad that someone here has read it, too.
    not
    I am glad that someone here has watched it, too.:o

Just looking on ebay - the original version is available, but quite expensive, so I am glad that I bought the more recently published one.

I got the original version when it came out. Can't remember what happened to it. Wish I still had it! Can you still get the reprint?
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought finally someone was mentioned the Dalek book I got as a boy (am sure it was out of M&S!) Must dig it out the attic and have a look. But then... the attic was always a scary place Mr Moffat...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    I got the original version when it came out. Can't remember what happened to it. Wish I still had it! Can you still get the reprint?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Dr-Doctor-Who-and-the-Daleks-1965-paperback-Vintage-/170979408503?pt=Fiction&hash=item27cf2aba77
    Item condition:Acceptable

drtwelve wrote: »
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought finally someone was mentioned the Dalek book I got as a boy (am sure it was out of M&S!) Must dig it out the attic and have a look. But then... the attic was always a scary place Mr Moffat...

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    Thank you!!:)

You're very welcome.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished it now, and I can truthfully say that it is one of the most frightening and realistic books that I have ever read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the books I would recommend most of all.
  • King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love these early books, very atmospheric.