Top Gear

Comments

• Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Jeremy and his lady petrol...

I wonder when they go out to film the Xmas special (if there is one this year). I hope those at TG HQ manage to edit it in time for Christmas.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Using the same analogy, the only property programmes on TV would have Phil and Kirsty swanning around £10M mansions.
    Which proves it's bunkum.
    I dunno if you watch them, but they pretty much are only about Phil and Kirsty swanning around mansions. Last time I was forced to watch a few of them, there wasn't a house in them at any point that had a price tag less than £500K. For a large portion of the population, that's an utterly ludicrous price to pay for a property, a price they could never even begin to afford.

As far as I remember, property shows devolve down into two sorts : 'Look at this ludicrous house you could never afford' and 'look at this house that's an absolute wreck and watch how this couple make an arse of doing it up'. That exactly mimics two of the standard tropes of current Top Gear - 'Look at this ludicrous car you could never afford' and 'look at these cars that are an absolute wreck and watch how the three stooges then proceed to wreck them while attempting to repair them and doing challenges'. That's basically about 3/4 of current Top Gear, right there.

A 'practical' property show in the same vein as the proposed 'practical' Top Gear would be 'look at this three bed semi in Dulwich that's a bit tired, has been on the market for 18 months and that the owner of is willing to listen to reasonable offers on'. Not an obvious ratings grabber, is it?

Property shows are an obvious example of something called 'aspirational television'. They're all about showing people things they desire but can't afford, things they aspire to own. In other words, the exact opposite of 'practical Top Gear'. I actually really hope nobody aspires to own a Skoda Octavia.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they never do a Best of Top Gear anymore after the series finishes?
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I dunno if you watch them, but they pretty much are only about Phil and Kirsty swanning around mansions. Last time I was forced to watch a few of them, there wasn't a house in them at any point that had a price tag less than £500K. For a large portion of the population, that's an utterly ludicrous price to pay for a property, a price they could never even begin to afford.

As far as I remember, property shows devolve down into two sorts : 'Look at this ludicrous house you could never afford' and 'look at this house that's an absolute wreck and watch how this couple make an arse of doing it up'. That exactly mimics two of the standard tropes of current Top Gear - 'Look at this ludicrous car you could never afford' and 'look at these cars that are an absolute wreck and watch how the three stooges then proceed to wreck them while attempting to repair them and doing challenges'. That's basically about 3/4 of current Top Gear, right there.

A 'practical' property show in the same vein as the proposed 'practical' Top Gear would be 'look at this three bed semi in Dulwich that's a bit tired, has been on the market for 18 months and that the owner of is willing to listen to reasonable offers on'. Not an obvious ratings grabber, is it?

Property shows are an obvious example of something called 'aspirational television'. They're all about showing people things they desire but can't afford, things they aspire to own. In other words, the exact opposite of 'practical Top Gear'. I actually really hope nobody aspires to own a Skoda Octavia.

Don't know why I feel the need to butt into a debate on Phil & Kirsty but what you have written is cobblers. £500,000+ properties are the exception on there from what I've seen over the years.

They've been down my street for god's sake, and aspirational it is not
    Forum Member
    Do they never do a Best of Top Gear anymore after the series finishes?

Seemingly not.
    Forum Member
    What are your thoughts on a Top Gear video game?

Would love to drive the P45 and the Hovervan. ;)
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be an xmas special this year?
  • BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Will there be an xmas special this year?

Looks like the Christmas special this year will be in Myanmar.

http://www.topgearbox.com/2013/news/top-gear-series-21-sightings-spoilers/
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BPL2011 wrote: »
    Looks like the Christmas special this year will be in Myanmar.

http://www.topgearbox.com/2013/news/top-gear-series-21-sightings-spoilers/

But will the Charismas special actually air at Christmas, or in February like last years one! :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just seen the first trailer for the new series.

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2014/01/18/video-your-first-glimpse-of-series-21-of-top-gear

A poster on that site reckons 2nd Feb for the new series
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump.....
    New Series of the most entertaining programme on British tv starts at 8pm tonight. Saw the spectacular live show in the Glssgow Hydro the other week - certainly whetted my appetite......
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW!! just 2 hours to go and no one has posted complaining about it being childish and a waste of their licence fee yet.:)

Thank goodness it's back
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait!!! Looks like one of the "buy an old car" challenges tonight, usually the best :D
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait!!! Looks like one of the "buy an old car" challenges tonight, usually the best :D

Yes, the 243 variants of the same idea have all been highlights for me too
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it

First we'll get a here's what's coming up this series cut to a 30 second segment with about 50 clips of different cars and the presenters shouting and screaming.

I was expecting a race between them but from the post above it's going to be a buy and old car challenge.

btw, I am a fan of the show :)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, what time do the people that hate the show get here? You know, the ones that watch every single episode just to see how bad it apparently is?
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Ye Olde Hot Hatches!

Count me in!
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, what time do the people that hate the show get here? You know, the ones that watch every single episode just to see how bad it apparently is?

Haha, soon...

Best thing on the BBC by a country mile :)
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    WOW!! just 2 hours to go and no one has posted complaining about it being childish and a waste of their licence fee yet.:)

Thank goodness it's back

I give it until 20:15 ish before someone says that they have not laughed once and turned off. :D
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to Stuart Heritages asshat review in the Guardian tomorrow! That'll be catnip to the metrosexuals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nearly time.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on!
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James's shirt (studio one) is a bit small for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved his hand break turn :D
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to nick an old K reg nova in one easy step :p
This discussion has been closed.