Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    Well if you can't see what he's doing. Then there's no point. He's making the whole scene about him. I didn't just say his favourite comedian. He tries to upstage every one in every scene in everything he's in. He does it all the time. he gives other actors good stuff to do, when he's not in the scene. But as soon as he is, it's all about him. Even if he doesn't speak. Very selfish.
    I can see what he's doing, I just can't see him doing what you *think* he's doing.
    Never said you did. I meant in general nobody needs RG's stamp of approval that Louis CK is funny. He just is.
    In general, nobody said he did, so it's irrelevant.
    A touch paranoid Digital Sid. No one is saying it does. Just like your, IMO blinkered view, of my and most other peoples comments about RG are deemed wrong. That's your opinion, which your entitled to. If we come on here making comments, then we should expect to have a response to them. It's an old cliche, but we do sometimes just have to agree to disagree. It's just that it appears that as soon as someone disagrees with you. You don't like it. Too bad.We don't all like the same things. I personally don't care what you think about what I think. Like I said, it's an opinion, that we're all entitled to, including you.. And that's mine. Sorry if you don't like it.
    I've explained my intentions and I've only responded to criticisms that are unjustified, unfair or ill-informed, it just so happens that in a thread about anything related to Ricky, there are a fair few of them.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Karl doesn't have any disabilities but is below average intelligence (1 E grade GCSE, IQ of 83) and have you seen the way he talks and gurns in real life? Ricky is a physical actor, see David Brent.
    Ok you seriously need to stop trying to educate me now, I've been following them since the beginning and already know everything you keep trying to teach me. Karl does not gurn at all. We will not agree on Derek so continual back and forth is absolutely pointless.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    He's also speaking more sense than a lot of the people posting in this thread!

Talking of opinions....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Ok you seriously need to stop trying to educate me now, I've been following them since the beginning and already know everything you keep trying to teach me. Karl does not gurn at all. We will not agree on Derek so continual back and forth is absolutely pointless.

No, course he doesn't. Not even in cartoon form. What am I on about?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see what he's doing, I just can't see him doing what you *think* he's doing.

In general, nobody said he did, so it's irrelevant.

In general didn't just mean people on here. There is life outside DS. :D:D:D
    Sorry but it is relevant. You said RG was singing Louie CK's praises, and being so gracious. My point is people will like or dislike Louie CK, whether or not RG thinks he's funny. As if LCK should be so honoured that RG has gave him some credibility. As if he was the world authority on comedy. People make their own minds up. Are you telling me you won't listen to a cd, watch a dvd, go see a film, go to a restaurant, watch a TV show just because of what someone else says or thinks. Sorry. I make up my own mind. And have the right to do so. And I'm not changing it, just because you think RG is the funniest man in the universe. He's funny. But so are alot of other people. There's this guy called Louie CK for instance...............
    I've explained my intentions and I've only responded to criticisms that are unjustified, unfair or ill-informed, it just so happens that in a thread about anything related to Ricky, there are a fair few of them

Don't get what you mean about ill-informed. That's when you are basing an opinion on something, when you don't have the right information. Opinions about RG can only be based on what he does. And his writing and stage and TV shows are what we see and hear. People were giving their opinions about a TV show they had watched to help them form that opinion. What else would they base it on? What RG had had for his dinner? You can only really have an opinion on something by seeing it or hearing it. Otherwise it's someone else's opinion. So how are people's opinions ill-informed? Their based on what they've seen :confused:

Yeah, as I said. In your opinion. You think their unjustified, you think their unfair, you think their ill-informed. Your opinion. My opinion is just that, my opinion. It ain't Rocket Science. I'm not falling out about this. Opinions differ. End of story.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure what you're on about. I wouldn't class that anything like gurning.

Slack jawed maybe.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you're on about. I wouldn't class that anything like gurning.

Slack jawed maybe.

It's exactly what Derek does, just less exaggerated.
    Forum Member
    That's a lot of trouble you went to there to prove you don't understand what "gurning" is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not gurning Sid, that's opening your mouth a bit to look more gormless. I said in an earlier post that since the pilot episode Gervais has stopped gurning so much and doesn't constantly stick his jaw out now which is a step in the right direction. It's just a shame his acting still sucks.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved parts of it (the compassion, the kindness and the performances of the actors playing Hannah and Dougie).

Like other posters, I found Kev a really jarring presence, introducing a completely incongruous coarseness that seemed to belong to a different show, and spoiling every scene he appeared in. I got the feeling he was doing the job previously played by Finchy in The Office or Greg in Extras: the obligatory unsympathetic character so we had someone to loathe.

The real revelation for me was Karl Pilkington. He was totally convincing and incredibly natural.
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    That's not gurning Sid, that's opening your mouth a bit to look more gormless. I said in an earlier post that since the pilot episode Gervais has stopped gurning so much and doesn't constantly stick his jaw out now which is a step in the right direction. It's just a shame his acting still sucks.

I didn't term it gurning The Terminator did.
    Forum Member
    That's a lot of trouble you went to there to prove you don't understand what "gurning" is.

Nope, all were within a quick scroll of a google image search for his name and it's exactly what Ricky is doing, so therefore neither is Derek.
    Forum Member
    Gervais originally did
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ricky-gervais-derek-may-be-clumsy-but-hes-not-cruel-8475782.html
    Chin jutting out in an awkward gurn and body hunched forward

Although he calmed it in last night's episode.
    Not at all similar to Karl Pilkington though.
    Forum Member
    Is it so hard these days for someone to just accept they got something wrong? I didn't mistake a slack jaw for gurning; you did. When I said gurning I meant (funnily enough) gurning.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Gervais originally did
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ricky-gervais-derek-may-be-clumsy-but-hes-not-cruel-8475782.html

Although he calmed it in last night's episode.
    Not at all similar to Karl Pilkington though.

That picture's from last night's episode and is of him grinning, and that is a review of the series not the pilot? Either way, in the pictures I linked above, he is doing what Karl is doing with added teeth. Either way since when was gurning a disability / symptom of a disability?
  • technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best programme i've seen for a long time. I loved it, some of the lines were exceptional. Great social commentary runs through it also, that seems to go over a lot of peoples heads.

The only thing is i've seen two episodes now and ended up crying during both of them. I'm someone who very rarely ever cries so its weird to me how much power this show has over me. I never expected that to happen.

[highlight]5 STARS ***** unmissable TV[/highlight]
    Forum Member
    I read this last night. Good point about Getting On :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jan/30/derek-tv-review
    At one point I found myself wondering how the show might work if Derek wasn't in it at all. Without him it would just be an ensemble cast of cynical, world-weary, but still devoted NHS workers, some frail old people as extras and a steady, low-key comic pulse. It would be a bit like Getting On, but then we already have Getting On

Hannah and Dougie are the standout characters imo. They are the heart of the operation.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's exactly what Derek does, just less exaggerated.

Well it's not 'exactly' then is it?
    Maybe a sad mouth is 'exactly' the same as a smile, but less exaggerated?

I don't think having your mouth open is the same thing as gurning.
  • Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Gervais' terrible acting as Derek sadly outweighted the positive points.

And the scene where they acted like Derek having his condition diagnosed would be a bad thing, even in reality it could help him a great deal.

From my experiences of disability, for me Ricky got a lot of the nuances perfect. I almost forgot he was a character, everything in his character, the way he acted and the physical nuances came together.

And I think the scene were he said he didn't want the test was just showing how much people want to attach a label to people to make them feel more comfortable. You say it could have helped him but the through the whole show it was clear how happy he was, why would you want to put someone under stressful tests for a label - he's doing fine without it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I feel like I'm in a dream or something with people actually liking this. It's awful. Karl is just being Karl and Ricky is just a guy pulling a stupid face.

I can't believe this is the guy who did The Office. Terrible.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    I loved parts of it (the compassion, the kindness and the performances of the actors playing Hannah and Dougie).

Like other posters, I found Kev a really jarring presence, introducing a completely incongruous coarseness that seemed to belong to a different show, and spoiling every scene he appeared in. I got the feeling he was doing the job previously played by Finchy in The Office or Greg in Extras: the obligatory unsympathetic character so we had someone to loathe.

The real revelation for me was Karl Pilkington. He was totally convincing and incredibly natural.

I agree with your post.

If I continue to watch it it'll be for Kerry Godalming and Karl Pilkington.

Ricky Gervais may be a great writer, director, producer etc., but his acting is "one note" at best and he just doesn't have the range to pull this character off.

"Kev" is dreadful, unless the story arc makes his presence in the show noteworthy pretty soon, they're going to have to get rid of him.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm in a dream or something with people actually liking this. It's awful. Karl is just being Karl and Ricky is just a guy pulling a stupid face.

I know!
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wholeheartedly agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I liked it *shrug*.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An actor's job is to convince you that a character's convince. His name was trending for about an hour after the show aired yesterday and the majority of them were praising him for, or expressing surprise that was, doing just that.

can't tell what you're saying there , are you now arguing that he's a good actor ?

The documentary in Derek is about the work of the carers of Broad Hill, who are the foreground characters.

yeah , the elderly are treated as background characters .

The mock in mockumentary (a portmanteau of mock documentary) means fake, not mocking, Derek isn't parodying those documentaries, it's just styled as one. The humour doesn't come from the presentation of the documentary but from the people in it.

not sure how that relates to what I said . I was saying the music is sh!t .