No All-Male Panel Shows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
Forum Member
✭✭
The BBC has decided that shows such as QI and Mock The Week will not be all male in future.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26107011

They may have a problem recruiting female panellists, as some high-profile women have already declined to appear on Mock The Week in particular, as they have found it to be "testosterone fuelled".

Discuss.

Comments

• Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of work for Gina Yashere and Sarah Millican (if they can afford her), then....
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Conehead wrote: »

Discuss.

No...
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be good for these shows to mix up the dynamic, plus Emma Thompson was the best QI guest & Hugh Laurie one of the blandest so could be really fun.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big mistake bbc

I wonder how much longer it would take to reverse this one
  • Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry - I cannot think of any female comics who are funny. None. Seriously.

Just a PC / tick box exercise. What about next year? A lack of disabled comics appearing?
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    The BBC has decided that shows such as QI and Mock The Week will not be all male in future.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26107011

They may have a problem recruiting female panellists, as some high-profile women have already declined to appear on Mock The Week in particular, as they have found it to be "testosterone fuelled".

Discuss.

I find this ridiculous. Panelists should be chosen for their ability to entertain, not their sex. That said, I'd be happy to see the back of both Alan Davies and Sarah Millican who are about as funny as permanent toothache.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

Just a PC / tick box exercise. What about next year? A lack of disabled comics appearing?

Oh please no.... That would mean that Australian with the fake foot would be on every show telling the hilarious stories of how his fake foot has got toes so he can wear thongs (hahahahaa, he means flip flops....), how he makes people at airport control laugh, that he's drunk out of his foot before and ohh, do you want to see it....?

*sigh*
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Izzard in a drag, would that count?
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I'm a woman and the only two female comics I find funny are Victoria Wood and Miranda. I cringe whenever there's a female comic on Mock the Week - they're just not funny. However, these panels shows are set up in a way that seems to favour male humour - sort of combatative bantering.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda will be happy she can take her tent body onto another show and bring her amazing blend of "not funny" jokes from the 1950s and how she looks like a tent that was put up by David Blunket.

Female comics are few are far between, and most are shite (most men are to be fair). Its a social thing though, women dont need to be funny to attract men, men do need to be funny to attract women though.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe it's because you're only ever shown one token female on a panel show that you don't know many? There are loads of brilliant female stand-ups on the circuit who never get a look-in on TV because of the nature of the beast. This new rule can only be a good thing, particularly for those like yourself who don't realise that -- shock, horror -- women can be funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grayson Perry is funny and he's not even a comic.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

exactly

positive decrimination is patronizing and doesnt work
  • Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    It's becoming increasingly difficult to defend the BBC with their really obnoxious quota system, although I suspect it's more about trying to nullify any criticism from The Daily Mail and so on.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Maybe it's because you're only ever shown one token female on a panel show that you don't know many? There are loads of brilliant female stand-ups on the circuit who never get a look-in on TV because of the nature of the beast. This new rule can only be a good thing, particularly for those like yourself who don't realise that -- shock, horror -- women can be funny.

Absolutely right. There are just as many really funny women around, unfortunely we get an overload of the painfully overhyped and unfunny ones like Miranda and Sarah Millican. And it's interesting that it's only the unfunny women who get noticed while the countless seriously unfunny men continue to get panel gigs. Funny that.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women arent funny. If they were they were headlighting these shows.

Instead its internal politics at the bbc
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    I like this idea as long as it isnt the same few faces again and again.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Also, why does it have to comediennes? As someone else said, Emma Thompson was great on QI - very funny and clever....she is not a comedienne, but she is very entertaining.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women arent funny. If they were they were headlighting these shows.
    What a pathetic thing to say.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

Comedy's a very sexist world, and I'm fed up of the rule that it's OK to have women on these panel shows as long as it's just one.

Newsflash, most men aren't funny either.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Eddie Izzard in a drag, would that count?

In a drag what?
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can think a lot of male comics who have a set place on these panel shows who aren't fresh or funny.

Mock the Week (pre and post Boyle) got tired years ago. The majority of the panel are fixed places, and you just know exactly what their jokes are going to be each time. 8 out of 10 Cats has a horrible approach in that they usually give the guest places on the panel to a male comic and a female lads mag bimbo, who they then make fun of (occasionally a male bimbo).