Eccleston not to appear - confirmed by BBC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Either that or they are planning a serious surprise.....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a470766/doctor-who-50th-bbc-denies-christopher-eccleston-quitting-rumours.html

the BBC has now told Digital Spy that Eccleston was never attached to the 50th and that his decision has had no impact on production.

"Chris met with Steven Moffat a couple of times to talk about Steven's plans for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode," an official source said.

"After careful thought, Chris decided not to be in the episode. He wishes the team all the best."

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Well given how people lie to make a surprise in cases like this it's "I'll believe it when I don't see it"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Well given how people lie to make a surprise in cases like this it's "I'll believe it when I don't see it"

Don't know, can't see them saying all that about meetings taking place but nothing came of it.......also wishing them luck etc.

Seems dead to me....
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people will be convinced right up until the episdoe airs that every living doctor will be back. Of course they wont be. Hence the reason they announced Piper and Tennant this week and the Zygons. It would have leaked and they know that. This is the BBC seeking to end speculation, pure and simple. But fans will ignore them and then when Ecclestone doesnt appear will get all stroppy. Despite them having been told months previously.
    Forum Member
    I don't really care if he's in it or not he's nowhere near my favourite Doctor if he's it it great if not Ok but I still wouldn't be shocked to see him in even a cameo (E.g Once it's all over the camera pans back to see him watching them on screen for just a second or two)
    Forum Member
    Some people will be convinced right up until the episdoe airs that every living doctor will be back. Of course they wont be. Hence the reason they announced Piper and Tennant this week and the Zygons. It would have leaked and they know that. This is the BBC seeking to end speculation, pure and simple. But fans will ignore them and then when Ecclestone doesnt appear will get all stroppy. Despite them having been told months previously.

If they want to keep something a secret they can they kept Clara/Oswin a secret in AOTD.
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to respect the man, he walked away on principle and has stuck to his guns.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD mentions a few times in The Writers Tale that the BBC itself will not lie about things to the press. If this is an official BBC source then it is very different to Moffat or one of the actors knowingly trying to misdirect people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Either that or they are planning a serious surprise.....

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a470766/doctor-who-50th-bbc-denies-christopher-eccleston-quitting-rumours.html

the BBC has now told Digital Spy that Eccleston was never attached to the 50th and that his decision has had no impact on production.

"Chris met with Steven Moffat a couple of times to talk about Steven's plans for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode," an official source said.

"After careful thought, Chris decided not to be in the episode. He wishes the team all the best."

Good ! More time on screen for MS, DT and hopefully PM .. Looks like it may well be a 3 doctor story with references and flash backs to the previous incarnations !! I'd be happy with that ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing, but I'll live.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Got to respect the man, he walked away on principle and has stuck to his guns.

What principle? i never really understood why he left DW after only a few episodes
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markuspeg wrote: »
    What principle? i never really understood why he left DW after only a few episodes

He didn't like the culture that had grown up around the show, specifically the culture of bullying. See this article: -

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/20897/christopher-eccleston-is-this-why-he-really-quit-doctor-who

I, for one, massively respect him for it. And there's no sense that Eccleston's career has faltered because of it. He's the primary villian in the new Thor movie coming out soon.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think it's a shame that he's not in it. It would have been good to see the last 3 Doctors together.

But I never thought he would be, so I'm not surprised.

Re his principles - the whole production team has changed since his time. Whatever was wrong then no longer applies, so it's not his principles that's stopping him.

However, as I regularly get into trouble on here for my opinions on Eccleston, I'll say no more. :)

(Though if Hammy and Lach are reading this, it might tempt them to reply if I did ;):D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's a shame that he's not in it. It would have been good to see the last 3 Doctors together.

But I never thought he would be, so I'm not surprised.

Re his principles - the whole production team has changed since his time. Whatever was wrong then no longer applies, so it's not his principles that's stopping him.

However, as I regularly get into trouble on here for my opinions on Eccleston, I'll say no more. :)

I think Eccleston's the consumate professional - he loves acting. I don't think he loves Doctor Who, although he clearly loved playing the role. He wasn't steeped in the traditions and history of Who like David Tennant was. For Eccleston, it was a good part and a part he played exceptionally well. But it was just an acting job ultimately. And then he left, for the reasons documented. But I suspect even if he'd left on good terms, he still wouldn't have returned. Eccleston prioritises new challenges and, I think, is quoted as saying that he doesn't dip in the same river twice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    He didn't like the culture that had grown up around the show, specifically the culture of bullying. See this article: -

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/20897/christopher-eccleston-is-this-why-he-really-quit-doctor-who

I, for one, massively respect him for it. And there's no sense that Eccleston's career has faltered because of it. He's the primary villian in the new Thor movie coming out soon.

Shame, i didnt know that. though the people he didnt see eye to eye with have left havent they?

either way Eccleston is a fantastic actor

has anyone seen the shadow line?
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Shame, whilst I would love to see any Doctor make a return I think Ecclestone would have been the one to raise enough excitement in me that little bit of wee might have come out during the Anniversary special..:D

Hopefully the announcement might be a bit of misdirection, I hope so, but I very much doubt it.

Still, love the guy, great actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, whilst I would love to see any Doctor make a return I think Ecclestone would have been the one to raise enough excitement in me that little bit of wee might have come out during the Anniversary special..:D

Hopefully the announcement might be a bit of misdirection, I hope so, but I very much doubt it.

Still, love the guy, great actor.

Yes, Eccleston's possible return had really excited me. I wasn't too fussed about seeing Tennant or Piper again.

However I'd also be quite excited to see Paul McGann back.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Eccleston's the consumate professional - he loves acting. I don't think he loves Doctor Who, although he clearly loved playing the role. He wasn't steeped in the traditions and history of Who like David Tennant was. For Eccleston, it was a good part and a part he played exceptionally well. But it was just an acting job ultimately. And then he left, for the reasons documented. But I suspect even if he'd left on good terms, he still wouldn't have returned. Eccleston prioritises new challenges and, I think, is quoted as saying that he doesn't dip in the same river twice.

He seemed to me to not think it was a good part, and I think he played it quite badly. Just my opinion. :)

As I say, it would have been great for many of the fans, I think, to see the last 3 Doctors together, but Eccleston has decided that it won't happen. His choice, of course. Which he is fully entitled to make. My choice to think it's a bit miserable of him.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, in a couple of decades he'll express his regret and then start doing Big Finish audios, much like the other one who refused an anniversary appearance... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seemed to me to not think it was a good part, and I think he played it quite badly. Just my opinion. :)

Fair enough - it's certainly only a matter of opinion. I think Eccleston's portrayal of the doctor divided opinion, although I loved it.

However that he seemed to "not think it was a good part" is factually wrong - it contradicts what Eccleston himself has said.

Eccleston specifically says:
    The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interest in the 50th has now diminished. :(
    Forum Member
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/05/did-christopher-eccleston-agree-to-be-in-the-50th-anniversary-doctor-who-then-pull-out-no/

Basically quoting the Star and Digital Spy sources, it does however add this titbit....

Bleeding Cool has been lead to believe that you’ll see a nod to the Ninth Doctor in the episode. Well, more than a nod, really, but it’s not anything that would need Ecclestone to turn up on set. We’re trying to verify the specifics of this particular plot point – which doesn’t stop with the Ninth, I must add – and if we can iron it out, I’ll tell you more.
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    My interest in the 50th has now diminished. :(

Gotta admit that I feel a bit bummed out by it, they can make up for it by bringing back McGann! :D
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:confused: Nothing in that article about bullying. I agree with Granny, to me Ecclestone has far too high an opinion of himself. But I disagree with her in that I thought he was good as The Doctor. (Wonder who he didn't get on with because he'd been in a few RTD shows before so obviously not him, or at least, not at the start.)
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing but not hugely surprising.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How very true.