Why I Want the 8th Doctor Back

SegeeSegee Posts: 15
Forum Member
Why I want the 8th Doctor Back

I have made some fairly aggressive comments lately on various Doctor Who threads regarding Paul McGann’s 8th Doctor and how much I want him back. Here I will attempt to explain my reasons why I feel the way I do.

I will begin with my first encounter of the 8th Doctor. It was in February 2011 when I rented the TV movie from Netflix...I believe that it had just been released on DVD in America around that time. My first reaction when the movie ended was anger...why? Because I felt cheated out of a potentially wonderful portrayal of the Doctor. I thought that Paul McGann managed to give an amazing performance as the Doctor and managed to pull it off immediately in just over an hour. I’m also one of the few who liked the movie. Sure it had it’s weak points (I also felt it had a lot of great moments too) but the movie was never made to be a stand alone movie but instead was made to be a pilot for a TV show which tragically did not get picked up. I feel if the show had been picked up we might have had things explained better but because this did not happen fans are left judging the show as a stand alone movie which is not really fair. Since then Paul has gone on to play the Doctor in the Big Finish audios and after only listening to a few he fast became my favorite Doctor. I got a chance to meet Paul at Gallifrey One in February 2012...one year after I discovered his Doctor. He was very nice to his fans and seems to generally enjoy the character of the Doctor and playing him...something that he has grown into I’m told....he didn’t feel that way in the beginning.

So why do I think the BBC should bring his Doctor back? What would I like to see for a story of the 8th Doctor? I don’t necessarily want to see him back for the 50th..that would be nice but anytime in the near future would be good enough. My biggest dream would be an interregnum season or a mini-series. If the BBC was willing to spend money on spin off series like Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures why can’t they do something with the 8th Doctor at this time especially since they are not producing the two spin off series anymore? There is demand for something for the 8th Doctor.

I have heard time and time again that bringing the 8th Doctor back for the 50th would only confuse and alienate the NuWho fans. I mean REALLY?! Are NuWho fans that stupid? I mean they know that Matt’s Doctor is the 11th Doctor so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that there must have been an 8th incarnation at one time. Also if Moffat is truly the genius everyone thinks he is it would be safe to say that he could write a good, clear story line for the 8th Doctor.

I’ve often heard Paul McGann state in interviews that he feels that the 8th Doctor is just someone who is TOLERATED. Wow! that is pretty sad to hear him say that but I can certainly see why as I have read plenty of comments from people who believe his Doctor should not be canon. And what about poor Phillip Segel the one who was responsible for the TV Movie. Regardless of whether you liked the movie or thought it was a load of rubbish he managed to get DW back on the air if only briefly and keep the interest alive. If you watch the documentary included on the American DVD of what he went through just to get it back it is a wonder he ever succeeded at all. Because of this I have a lot of respect for him.

I feel the time is right to reintroduce the 8th Doctor. Fans like me have wanted this. Many fans have wanted this for a VERY long time. I am tired of him being ignored and disrespected. I feel he never got a fair shot and would like to see that rectified. I know the BBC doesn’t OWE fans any explanations but still wouldn’t it be nice if they actually did give us some reason why they seem to be so silent when it comes to the 8th Doctor? Paul has also stated in interviews that he has not heard a word from the DW producers since he walked off the set 17 years ago.

Please forgive me if my thoughts seem disconnected and for the general ranting feel. I didn’t have a lot of time to write this because Yes...I do have a life. I know many of you will not agree with me and I am also expecting some rude comments from some of you. Many of you will think this woman needs to move on from this...well perhaps I do and I will at some point but right now if I think the time is right for an 8th Doctor come back then I’m going to be as vocal as I can for awhile.

Comments

• Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Segee wrote: »

I have made some fairly aggressive comments lately on various Doctor Who threads regarding Paul McGann’s 8th Doctor and how much I want him back. Here I will attempt to explain my reasons why I feel the way I do.

I will begin with my first encounter of the 8th Doctor. It was in February 2011 when I rented the TV movie from Netflix...I believe that it had just been released on DVD in America around that time. My first reaction when the movie ended was anger...why? Because I felt cheated out of a potentially wonderful portrayal of the Doctor. I thought that Paul McGann managed to give an amazing performance as the Doctor and managed to pull it off immediately in just over an hour. I’m also one of the few who liked the movie. Sure it had it’s weak points (I also felt it had a lot of great moments too) but the movie was never made to be a stand alone movie but instead was made to be a pilot for a TV show which tragically did not get picked up. I feel if the show had been picked up we might have had things explained better but because this did not happen fans are left judging the show as a stand alone movie which is not really fair. Since then Paul has gone on to play the Doctor in the Big Finish audios and after only listening to a few he fast became my favorite Doctor. I got a chance to meet Paul at Gallifrey One in February 2012...one year after I discovered his Doctor. He was very nice to his fans and seems to generally enjoy the character of the Doctor and playing him...something that he has grown into I’m told....he didn’t feel that way in the beginning.

So why do I think the BBC should bring his Doctor back? What would I like to see for a story of the 8th Doctor? I don’t necessarily want to see him back for the 50th..that would be nice but anytime in the near future would be good enough. My biggest dream would be an interregnum season or a mini-series. If the BBC was willing to spend money on spin off series like Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures why can’t they do something with the 8th Doctor at this time especially since they are not producing the two spin off series anymore? There is demand for something for the 8th Doctor.

I have heard time and time again that bringing the 8th Doctor back for the 50th would only confuse and alienate the NuWho fans. I mean REALLY?! Are NuWho fans that stupid? I mean they know that Matt’s Doctor is the 11th Doctor so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that there must have been an 8th incarnation at one time. Also if Moffat is truly the genius everyone thinks he is it would be safe to say that he could write a good, clear story line for the 8th Doctor.

I’ve often heard Paul McGann state in interviews that he feels that the 8th Doctor is just someone who is TOLERATED. Wow! that is pretty sad to hear him say that but I can certainly see why as I have read plenty of comments from people who believe his Doctor should not be canon. And what about poor Phillip Segel the one who was responsible for the TV Movie. Regardless of whether you liked the movie or thought it was a load of rubbish he managed to get DW back on the air if only briefly and keep the interest alive. If you watch the documentary included on the American DVD of what he went through just to get it back it is a wonder he ever succeeded at all. Because of this I have a lot of respect for him.

I feel the time is right to reintroduce the 8th Doctor. Fans like me have wanted this. Many fans have wanted this for a VERY long time. I am tired of him being ignored and disrespected. I feel he never got a fair shot and would like to see that rectified. I know the BBC doesn’t OWE fans any explanations but still wouldn’t it be nice if they actually did give us some reason why they seem to be so silent when it comes to the 8th Doctor? Paul has also stated in interviews that he has not heard a word from the DW producers since he walked off the set 17 years ago.

Please forgive me if my thoughts seem disconnected and for the general ranting feel. I didn’t have a lot of time to write this because Yes...I do have a life. I know many of you will not agree with me and I am also expecting some rude comments from some of you. Many of you will think this woman needs to move on from this...well perhaps I do and I will at some point but right now if I think the time is right for an 8th Doctor come back then I’m going to be as vocal as I can for awhile.

I think this post is very well articulated and agree tbh.

Sadly my gut instinct says we will never see him reprise his role as the Doctor.

Which is a shame because he can hardly be fairly judged as the Doctor through one film and some audio tapes.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't disagree with any of that. I love the 8th Doctor, both in the film and on the radio. (I won't bore anyone with my appreciation of Lucie again).

I am so sorry McGann feels the 8th Doctor is merely tolerated. Certainly on here he seems to be highly regarded, even if people find fault with the movie.

I am one who was always sorry that McGann didn't come back in 2005, instead of Eccleston, but I know 9th Doctor fans won't agree.

We don't know yet whether McGann will be making a personal appearance in the 50th. I continue to hope he will. I doubt very much that he'll get a TV series. Though it would be nice. With Lucie. (Sorry :o).
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally agree, thought he was a brilliant Doctor and would love to see a story where he regenerates into 9
  • SegeeSegee Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Banks246 wrote: »
    I think this post is very well articulated and agree tbh.

Sadly my gut instinct says we will never see him reprise his role as the Doctor.

Which is a shame because he can hardly be fairly judged as the Doctor through one film and some audio tapes.
    Yeah, sadly I agree with you. :(
  • SegeeSegee Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I can't disagree with any of that. I love the 8th Doctor, both in the film and on the radio. (I won't bore anyone with my appreciation of Lucie again).

I am so sorry McGann feels the 8th Doctor is merely tolerated. Certainly on here he seems to be highly regarded, even if people find fault with the movie.

I am one who was always sorry that McGann didn't come back in 2005, instead of Eccleston, but I know 9th Doctor fans won't agree.

We don't know yet whether McGann will be making a personal appearance in the 50th. I continue to hope he will. I doubt very much that he'll get a TV series. Though it would be nice. With Lucie. (Sorry :o).
    I LOVE Lucie!
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would really like to see Paul return for multi-Doctor stories. However, the idea of a spin-off or mini-series seems unlikely as it would mean either:

A) The BBC has two live action versions of Doctor Who with different casts running concurrently.

or

B) The tenure of the current Doctor is put on-hold while we have a long flashback lasting several stories.

I honestly don't believe either option would ever happen. An animated series is much more likely (and something the BBC has already considered). Alternatively, we could have a single Doctor-lite episode with the current Doctor going back over a story from his eighth incarnation.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually don't mind the movie. It isn't the best and on first viewing I thought the Master was bit ridiculous and unbelievable...however, now that I've watched Castrovalva, Time Flight and The King's Demons where the master seems to be some kind of rubbish pantomime villain I can appreciate the portrayal of the Master in the movie a lot more.
    Paul McGann was brilliant and I too would love to see him return. I think he deserves a lot more than just one 90 minute episode.

One thing I do hate though is the "half-human" revelation. I like to think the whole thing had something to do with the chameleon arch just to rationalise away this heresy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    The best visual medium for the 8th Doctor to return in is more films. I personally would like him to do two more films, bumping his screentime up to a 'trilogy', which has a nice ring to it. (The Paul McGann Trilogy).

Steven Moffat always said that if their ever were to be a Doctor Who film, it could only be if it doesn't interfere with the TV series. The 8th doctor solves that problem. You wouldn't have the controversy of casting a new doctor in a different continuity (like Cushing) and it wouldn't interfere with the current doctor's continuity either. It would merely be a prequel to nuwho and everybody would understand that.

That is what I want, anyway.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby2 wrote: »
    The best visual medium for the 8th Doctor to return in is more films. I personally would like him to do two more films, bumping his screentime up to a 'trilogy', which has a nice ring to it. (The Paul McGann Trilogy).

Steven Moffat always said that if their ever were to be a Doctor Who film, it could only be if it doesn't interfere with the TV series. The 8th doctor solves that problem. You wouldn't have the controversy of casting a new doctor in a different continuity (like Cushing) and it wouldn't interfere with the current doctor's continuity either. It would merely be a prequel to nuwho and everybody would understand that.

That is what I want, anyway.

This is a good idea actually, get on the old blower to Moffat this instant! :D
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think the problem as he saw it was having the 'prequel series' and the current series running at the same time, which I can kind of see. If you think of all the 'old Doctor vs. new Doctor' debates that go on here already, imagine the battle lines that would be drawn if they were both current Doctors! The risk is that you split the audience, rather than engaging more people.

The Cushing movies are interesting, there's not many other examples where prequels/remakes have run at the same time as the main series. Imagine the Star Wars prequels being made in between the original stories, or the Hobbit films being shown in between Lord of the Rings.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is my second favourite doctor after tom baker, and that's from just seeing the TV movie, he made so much impact from that one film, heaven knows what could have happened had doctor who been revived properly back in the 90s with him as the doctor.
    Frankly I feel cheated !
    Forum Member
    I think the problem as he saw it was having the 'prequel series' and the current series running at the same time, which I can kind of see. If you think of all the 'old Doctor vs. new Doctor' debates that go on here already, imagine the battle lines that would be drawn if they were both current Doctors! The risk is that you split the audience, rather than engaging more people.

Well, McGann isn't a current doctor is he? And even if he were, it would only be akin to Sherlock Downy vs Sherlock Cumberbatch, and that argument hasn't gotten particularly aggressive has it? Or has it?

Also, by mentioning Cushing, don't we admit that it's already been proven that two doctors can exist at the same time? Then again, it was the sixties I suppose...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, McGann isn't a current doctor is he? And even if he were, it would only be akin to Sherlock Downy vs Sherlock Cumberbatch, and that argument hasn't gotten particularly aggressive has it? Or has it?

Also, by mentioning Cushing, don't we admit that it's already been proven that two doctors can exist at the same time? Then again, it was the sixties I suppose...
    Segee's idea was to have an 8th Doctor spin-off TV series. I can't see the BBC ever wanting to have two TV versions of Doctor Who running at the same time.

Having two concurrent TV productions would make Smith and McGann both current Doctors if it were ever to happen. Which it won't because past Doctors only ever come back as guests in the current Doctor's series.

I agree that McGann movies would be a good idea, though. This would be like the original Star Trek crew appearing in movies while The Next Generation was running on TV. (Your examples of the Cushing movies and the various productions of Sherlock Holmes don't really apply as these different versions do not share continuity.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see 8 in some form on screen again too.
    Forum Member
    Segee's idea was to have an 8th Doctor spin-off TV series. I can't see the BBC ever wanting to have two TV versions of Doctor Who running at the same time.

Having two concurrent TV productions would make Smith and McGann both current Doctors if it were ever to happen. Which it won't because past Doctors only ever come back as guests in the current Doctor's series.

I agree that McGann movies would be a good idea, though. This would be like the original Star Trek crew appearing in movies while The Next Generation was running on TV. (Your examples of the Cushing movies and the various productions of Sherlock Holmes don't really apply as these different versions do not share continuity.)

I wasn't talking about two TV series, I was talking about movies.

Your Star Trek analogy brings me back to my original point, which is that the 8th Doctor and the 11th Doctor don't share continuity either. Not in the current sense. The 8th doctor isn't involved in any storyline that bares similarities to the current ones, unless you count the fact that the time war is in his near future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't talking about two TV series, I was talking about movies.

Your Star Trek analogy brings me back to my original point, which is that the 8th Doctor and the 11th Doctor don't share continuity either. Not in the current sense. The 8th doctor isn't involved in any storyline that bares similarities to the current ones, unless you count the fact that the time war is in his near future.
    A lack of shared continuity (aside from the basics of the Doctor and the TARDIS) would be a benefit to a McGann movie as the BBC's Royal Charter would forbid any sort of crossover which leaves TV viewers feeling they need to spend money to get the whole story.

I'm not sure how this would apply to the Time War as there would be plenty of vindictive types who would say various episodes since 2005 constitute a long marketing campaign for the movie event.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back when we had Doctor Lite Episodes (I wonder why Moff stopped doing these*) I always said that showing an 8th Doctor Adventure would be a good idea for one.

Have the current Doctor and companion land somewhere which reminds him of an old adventure and have him tell the Companion the story (with the audience of course seeing it).

*Well I suppose episodes such as The Girl Who Waited could still be considered Doctor Lite but it's nowhere near as obvious as it was in the RTD Era.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Segee wrote: »

So why do I think the BBC should bring his Doctor back? What would I like to see for a story of the 8th Doctor? I don’t necessarily want to see him back for the 50th..that would be nice but anytime in the near future would be good enough. My biggest dream would be an interregnum season or a mini-series. If the BBC was willing to spend money on spin off series like Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures why can’t they do something with the 8th Doctor at this time especially since they are not producing the two spin off series anymore? There is demand for something for the 8th Doctor..

Not enough demand. He's a niche Doctor, I'm sorry, but he just is, and his pyschotic fans do not do him any favours. Stick with your audios and be satisfied with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Paul McGann Doctor #1 after the original 1963-89 series?

Of course, within the original series 1963-89, you had
    1 William Hartnell
    2 Peter Cushing
    3 Patrick Troughton
    4 John Pertwee
    5 Tom Baker
    6 Peter Davidson
    7 Colin Baker
    8 Sylvester McCoy

Of course, added to this, and I am not sure as to the timeline, you also had
    9 Michael Jayston
    playing "The Valeyard" (part of Colin Baker Time Of A Timelord) and who wanted the Doctors remaining regenerations.

Given that the 2005+ series remains non-canon to the original series, it may be conjectured that the current Doctor remains Sylvester McCoy, that his incarnation is again trapped in "Trial of a Time Lord #2", and that Christopher Ecclestone, David Tenant and Matt Smith are simply figmants of his imagination.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things you have to remember was, at the time, the Eighth Doctor as seen on TV, as a character, was half-owned by Universal. Therefore approving his appearence in comics and books and audios was never an issue. However, there still may be a legal question mark over whether Universal could swoop in if McGann ever appears in anything "new" as a character they part-owned (most likely in the past now, but still)...

Look how complicated the Marvel universes have got in recent years.
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Not enough demand. He's a niche Doctor, I'm sorry, but he just is, and his pyschotic fans do not do him any favours. Stick with your audios and be satisfied with that.

Blimey! Psychotic is a bit strong! They're just a bit keen, same as some factions of fandom. What are you basing this on?
    One of the things you have to remember was, at the time, the Eighth Doctor as seen on TV, as a character, was half-owned by Universal. Therefore approving his appearence in comics and books and audios was never an issue. However, there still may be a legal question mark over whether Universal could swoop in if McGann ever appears in anything "new" as a character they part-owned (most likely in the past now, but still)...

RTD thought the same thing when he wanted to use 8th Doctor footage in The Next Doctor. Turned out fine.
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    It's always struck me a bit odd that there was no regeneration from McCoy to McCann shot for NewWho. Perhaps we may see it sometime soon. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DariaM wrote: »
    Given that the 2005+ series remains non-canon to the original series, it may be conjectured that the current Doctor remains Sylvester McCoy, that his incarnation is again trapped in "Trial of a Time Lord #2", and that Christopher Ecclestone, David Tenant and Matt Smith are simply figmants of his imagination.
    You have been asked to support this frankly ludicrous claim with evidence on various threads, DariaM. Why do keep posting the same false claim? Are you just trying to annoy people?

Look how complicated the Marvel universes have got in recent years.
    Surely the character of the Doctor is owned entirely by the BBC? I can see how Universal might have a claim on the costume design and unique original elements such as the "half human" stuff, but they don't own the rights to Paul McGann's likeness.:confused:
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swadey wrote: »
    It's always struck me a bit odd that there was no regeneration from McCoy to McCann shot for NewWho. Perhaps we may see it sometime soon. :rolleyes:

We saw the McCoy to McCann regeneration in the TVM why would they need to film it again?
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Sorry, meant mgcann to ecclescake :p