Tardis; Gallifrey.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, help me out.

My memory/knowledge of Classic Who is sketchy at best.

But ISTR a scene I watched as a child where some Time Lords were looking at a kind of Argos catalogue of TARDIS models.

All of them looked like variations on a theme, that theme being white police-box type models, not the rather non-descript columns featured in Name of the Doctor.

So, has vodka addled my memory, or did something like that happen in the late 70s or early 80s?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think its the vodka mate, can't think of anything close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think its the vodka mate, can't think of anything close.

Hehe.

Let's wait for other posters.

You may be right.

Triple-Distilled Will Fall.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    OK, help me out.

My memory/knowledge of Classic Who is sketchy at best.

But ISTR a scene I watched as a child where some Time Lords were looking at a kind of Argos catalogue of TARDIS models.

All of them looked like variations on a theme, that theme being white police-box type models, not the rather non-descript columns featured in Name of the Doctor.

So, has vodka addled my memory, or did something like that happen in the late 70s or early 80s?

Thanks in advance.

I've done a full rewatch of the classics (including the reconstructions) over the last few months and there is no such scene either shown or spoken in the audio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might have put the idea in my head because I can picture it lol. It could have been a comedy sketch out something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. It looks like my recollection of white-clad Time Lords looking at white-clad police boxes is False Memory Syndrome, or - as 'buzcut suggests - I have mistaken a Two Ronnie sketch as canon.

This was around 1975 or so, and I was 7 years old. Still, it's bugged me for years..
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    My only memory (at about six years old) was a line of white TARDIS's in a row....and they had to pick the correct one! It may have been part of the Celestial Toymakers story ? But certainly no Time Lords!
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies. It looks like my recollection of white-clad Time Lords looking at white-clad police boxes is False Memory Syndrome, or - as 'buzcut suggests - I have mistaken a Two Ronnie sketch as canon.

This was around 1975 or so, and I was 7 years old. Still, it's bugged me for years..

I was in my late teens and just discovering "herbs" at that time ;). However, I still don't recall anything in my recent full rewatch that matches it.
    Forum Member
    My only memory (at about six years old) was a line of white TARDIS's in a row....and they had to pick the correct one! It may have been part of the Celestial Toymakers story ? But certainly no Time Lords!

They were all "Call Boxes" and were blue. They had to complete a game to win the chance to find the right TARDIS before The Doctor finished HIS challenge. Completing the Trilogic game.
  • mdoveymdovey Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies. It looks like my recollection of white-clad Time Lords looking at white-clad police boxes is False Memory Syndrome.

There is a scene in the Deadly Assassin (which is 1976), about 4 minutes into part 1, where a couple of the Time Lord guards (dressed in red but with trimmed in white with white shoulder pads), open a box (which looks a little like a leather bound book) of TARDIS keys (which are off-white rectangles).

I don't know if you are mis-remembering that scene?

Matthew
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mdovey wrote: »
    There is a scene in the Deadly Assassin (which is 1976), about 4 minutes into part 1, where a couple of the Time Lord guards (dressed in red but with trimmed in white with white shoulder pads), open a box (which looks a little like a leather bound book) of TARDIS keys (which are off-white rectangles).

I don't know if you are mis-remembering that scene?

Matthew

That's entirely possible. I'd need to see it.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's entirely possible. I'd need to see it.

Try here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try here.

Thank you.

Bizarrely, that clip isn't the one in my memory, but the costume of the Time Lord President is.

I (mis)remember two or three Time Lords, dressed just like that, perusing the Book of Tardises (Tardi?).

My confusion, at the time, was why would these Tardises look like police-boxes of various shapes and heights, when the Doctor's only looked like that because of the broken Chameleon Circuit?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason I recall a description of the Master's TARDIS, in its undisguised form, from the novelisation of "The Claws of Axos".
    It was descriped as a low, white dome.

Maybe it is in the telly version of the story too?
    Forum Member
    Here is a still I captured from the end of The War Games. The Doctor, Zoe and Jamie have been forced back to Gallifrey. As they exit the Doctor's TARDIS, you see a row of undisguised TARDIS machines along the wall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a still I captured from the end of The War Games. The Doctor, Zoe and Jamie have been forced back to Gallifrey. As they exit the Doctor's TARDIS, you see a row of undisguised TARDIS machines along the wall.

Bruce, I can't see any image..:(
  • mdoveymdovey Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    If this is a scene from Dr Who (either misremembered or just misunderstood by your younger self) as opposed to some publicity or comedy sketch, then the Deadly Assassin or possibly the Invasion of Time would seem to be the most likely episodes it came from. Both can be found at the site CoalHillJanitor posted.

Matthew
    Forum Member
    Bruce, I can't see any image..:(

Let me try that AGAIN
  • scottishjamesscottishjames Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I've done a full rewatch of the classics (including the reconstructions) over the last few months and there is no such scene either shown or spoken in the audio.

It took you a few months? I'm currently finishing season 5 (Fury From The Deep) and it's taken me ages to get to this point! Love it though =]
    Forum Member
    It took you a few months? I'm currently finishing season 5 (Fury From The Deep) and it's taken me ages to get to this point! Love it though =]

I'm an old crippled retired man that used to be in the Navy. I have nothing better to do then watch Doctor Who and Torchwood :D :cool: ;)