Stella (sky One)

Comments

• pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haved LOVED this series, its been ages since I have become so engaged with characters in a drama series, I was shouting 'no no' at the telly when Stella was kissng Rob in the hospital corridor. I wanted a happy ending for Stella and Shaun and I didnt like the ending to the seres but I understand why Ruth has written it that way. I really hope the baby is Shaun's but I think we will find out who the dad is as soon as the baby is born!!!!

If Stella had been on ITV i think it would have been getting ratings up with their top drama output, but congratulations to SKY for commisioning a longer series and letting Ruth slowly develop the characters and allowing the viewers to care about them. Its been an amazing series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pipkin wrote: »
    I haved LOVED this series, its been ages since I have become so engaged with characters in a drama series, I was shouting 'no no' at the telly when Stella was kissng Rob in the hospital corridor. I wanted a happy ending for Stella and Shaun and I didnt like the ending to the seres but I understand why Ruth has written it that way. I really hope the baby is Shaun's but I think we will find out who the dad is as soon as the baby is born!!!!

If Stella had been on ITV i think it would have been getting ratings up with their top drama output, but congratulations to SKY for commisioning a longer series and letting Ruth slowly develop the characters and allowing the viewers to care about them. Its been an amazing series.

Great post, agree that on ITV the ratings would have been huge but we would never have got 10 episodes. Sky are chucking money at homegrown talent and it is already paying off, I wouldn't normally think to watch Sky One but something drew me to this programme. So glad it did. You're right, you get so involved in it that you end up shouting at the TV!
    Sean is great but I prefer Rob though!!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    It really looked like James Corden's bit was stuck in at the last minute - made no sense.

His final scene when he couldn't understand a word that Daddy said (like the rest of us) was so funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please let there be a second series
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    Please let there be a second series

There is, been confirmed a few weeks ago.
  • jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say, loved this show - there are folks in South Wales who are just like this (even Daddy!) and this is 'valley vision' in all its glory in a single show, for all to see and laugh along with.

Well done to Sky for giving it ten eps, looking forward to the next series - and I hope Ruth Jones doesn't rush the next series - there have been some quality moments of comedy/drama here and hope this quality can be maintained - great cast also, even James C wasn't that bad. The only bad one was Dick The Kick for me, loved pretty much everything else though.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pipkin wrote: »

JasonMason wrote: »
    Great post, agree that on ITV the ratings would have been huge but we would never have got 10 episodes. Sky are chucking money at homegrown talent and it is already paying off, I wouldn't normally think to watch Sky One but something drew me to this programme. So glad it did. You're right, you get so involved in it that you end up shouting at the TV!
    Sean is great but I prefer Rob though!!

These two posts have already put what I wanted to but I would just like to add my praise for this series - superbly written, all 10 episodes of a very consistent standard. Excellent casting, some quite imaginative photography for a comedy drama too.

I thought all the loose ends were tied up very well at the end and it was well-judged, with some very poignant lines and acting. The part when Stella and Rob touched hands without looking at each other when Luke had his send-off was fantastic - just a very brief, simple piece of drama but yet so powerful - I will remember that for long time to come. First love may indeed not be true love, but it makes a unique mark on your life.

I always love dramas that have the passing of time as one of its themes and Stella has proved to be no exception - roll on series two.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved this series. I agree with the poster who said they didn't normally watch Sky One stuff (apart from my guilty pleasure of Gladiators!) but was drawn to this. I did wonder about Luke's visa, who's Daddy was Daddy (Paula's?), Sean's accent sounding more Gary Barlow than Dickie Bird etc but that's the beauty of telly for me. I like to think about the shows I watch after they've finished if that makes sense? Anyway will have a look at the DVD.

Can I also add how excellent I thought the actress who played Emma was? She was such a lovely character who could've been a total brat. I also had a soft spot for Nancy. Completely bonkers. They could jettison Nadine however and I wouldn't give a fig!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of assumed (or hoped) that Daddy was Paula's father but I dont have anything whatsoever to base that on. A deliberate mystery I think. He probably isn't a "Daddy" at all!
  • realistrealist Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    The funeral shop is filmed in Llanbradach nr Caerphilly, the shop is still there ready for the next series.

The shop is owned by a fire surrounds company that moved out to the local library so they could use the shop for Stella filming, next time I'm near the shop (past it today) i'll take a pic and post it up.

Regards
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JasonMason wrote: »
    I kind of assumed (or hoped) that Daddy was Paula's father but I dont have anything whatsoever to base that on. A deliberate mystery I think. He probably isn't a "Daddy" at all!

I figured he was like the father of the town, the oldest citizen or something? I thought it was cute that everyone called him it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    I figured he was like the father of the town, the oldest citizen or something? I thought it was cute that everyone called him it!

Maybe, yes. It's very sweet how they are with him and how defensive they all get if he isn't understood!
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the final episode and wanted to echo the thoughts of many posters in stating what a fantastic series this has been.

Funny, heartwarming, poignant and superbly written. It's so good to see a series given 10 episodes so that we as the viewers can get to know and love the characters over time. And what characters they are, I feel like I know them all so well, and the quality of each episode has been consistently high.

Easily my favourite show of 2012 so far, I'm really going to miss it, but what a great cliffhanger at the end....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Just watched the final episode and wanted to echo the thoughts of many posters in stating what a fantastic series this has been.

Funny, heartwarming, poignant and superbly written. It's so good to see a series given 10 episodes so that we as the viewers can get to know and love the characters over time. And what characters they are, I feel like I know them all so well, and the quality of each episode has been consistently high.

Easily my favourite show of 2012 so far, I'm really going to miss it, but what a great cliffhanger at the end....

Me too!! I haven't enjoyed a comedy/drama this much for years. The characters were so well rounded and believable. It's a hidden gem!
  • ajr493ajr493 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late in the day I know but I too loved this and I'm eagerly awaiting series two
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    So, are you saying that it changed style / pace / direction after 10 minutes and actually became funny? Cos if not then it seems like my judgement was spot-on....

.....I'd far prefer to dismiss it after a short period as being the same as all the other Sky "comedies" and maybe catch one of it's many, many repeats if by some chance my first impressions were wrong, than to sit through 10 episodes in the vain (or slightly desperate) hope that it might actually make me laugh at some point.

Just remembered this post - the answer was yes by the way, if you're still curious. :)
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    Any news on which cast members will be returning for series 2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Any news on which cast members will be returning for series 2?

Don't know about cast but we'll soon find out. Filming has just begun on the second series. "TIDY" production signs pointing the way to locations have been spotted in South Wales.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    bit out of date I know but just catching up with this show, the Dick the Kick episode. Loved the wales stars, especially the lovely Shane and OMG Graham Price!!!
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Just come across some pics of an episode filmed a while back in Nantgarw (my home village) again (think it's down Rhyd-yr-Helyg), looks like it's the wedding reception.

I have just spent the weekend catching up on the 1st series, and have thoroughly enjoyed the series, and can totally relate to the characters and scenarios that Ruth Jones has so carefully crafted.

Looking forward to series 2 now.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching it on DVD. I enjoyed it, especially the bits with Mark Lewis-Jones (Rob) and Owen Teale (Dai) in, but Stella is such a selfish person and I found it hard to sympathise with her. Assuring Sean that the kiss with Rob meant nothing and persuading him to get back together with her when she still had a thing for Rob. Also is there no contraception in that town?! And would she not consider having an abortion - or does she actually want to have another baby after promising Ben that he would always be her baby?
    Forum Member
    I'm still catching up with this,recording and then watching the reruns as they are shown, last one being from sat 25th aug. have watched up to ep 8 and it seems to have disappeared off the schedules. any ideas, anyone?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'm still catching up with this,recording and then watching the reruns as they are shown, last one being from sat 25th aug. have watched up to ep 8 and it seems to have disappeared off the schedules. any ideas, anyone?

The last two episodes are on September 7 and 14. If they're on series link they'll appear on the planner seven days before.
    Forum Member
    Oh, thanks, there's just a gap then is there? I was worried they were going to save them until just before season 2 (not that i know when this will be)
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I work right near there and never noticed! Doh! :o