Catfish

Frunchy2904Frunchy2904 Posts: 97
Forum Member
What do you think of MTV's Catfish? Interested to know if anyone has had any similar experiences...good or bad!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I really like it, Nev is very easy to watch and the stories are gripping
  • Egg MonsterEgg Monster Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying it, it's fascinating to watch. I also like the fact that at the end there's an update as to what everyone's doing - I wish more programmes would do this tbh.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it that woman who pretended to be her daughter on Facebook?
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying it, it's fascinating to watch. I also like the fact that at the end there's an update as to what everyone's doing - I wish more programmes would do this tbh.

Yeah I like that bit, and when they introduce them to the person they think they have been talking too!
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »

Sort of. Catfish the movie was about her and Nev, the guy who fell in love with the older daughter, but went to meet her and the whole thing unravelled. It was quite moving in a way - the woman who had been pretending on Facebook had 2 severely disabled sons and used it as a form of escapism.

The TV show is presented by Nev, but this time he helps those who have been chatting to/fallen in love with people purely online, and they do a bit of digging and eventually go to meet the online person. Sometimes they are who they say they are, sometimes they're not. It's fascinating to watch - I think the one on Monday night the couple had been talking online for 10 years without ever meeting.
  • Frunchy2904Frunchy2904 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »

Don't know about that one the episodes so far have been women chatting online, falling in love and then meeting up with them, not always being what, or who, they say they are, interesting viewing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I think it's produced and presented brilliantly, and so far I have been absolutely glued to each episode. I met my wife online(in 2001) so quite a lot of it strikes a chord with us. Thankfully, not the 'catfish' aspect of it, though :eek: :p

I haven't seen the documentary the series is based on yet. I need to get around to doing so.
    Forum Member
    Sort of. Catfish the movie was about her and Nev, the guy who fell in love with the older daughter, but went to meet her and the whole thing unravelled. It was quite moving in a way - the woman who had been pretending on Facebook had 2 severely disabled sons and used it as a form of escapism.

The TV show is presented by Nev, but this time he helps those who have been chatting to/fallen in love with people purely online, and they do a bit of digging and eventually go to meet the online person. Sometimes they are who they say they are, sometimes they're not. It's fascinating to watch - I think the one on Monday night the couple had been talking online for 10 years without ever meeting.

Didn't know the background info on him, makes sense now as he did mention something in episode 2 about 'older' women!
    Forum Member
    What do you think of MTV's Catfish? Interested to know if anyone has had any similar experiences...good or bad!

Yes, Nev seems generally interested and in no way patronising or judges them and I like the end when he gets all of them skyping :)
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    The show also got a little more promotion because of the Manti Te'o story in the US.
  • valdavalda Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    I started off laughing and thinking Nev had sold out but now I totally hooked.

Its so interesting to see how these people get sucked in. I've noticed that a few of the guys, seem to be 'Record Producer's, Models etc, nothing normal. So of course when the ladies meet up, they are really disappointed. Surely if you chatted with this person for x amount of years, your looks/career would be irelevant?

Last weeks one was great.

btw I wonder if there will be any men looking for help?
    Forum Member
    valda wrote: »
    I started off laughing and thinking Nev had sold out but now I totally hooked.

Its so interesting to see how these people get sucked in. I've noticed that a few of the guys, seem to be 'Record Producer's, Models etc, nothing normal. So of course when the ladies meet up, they are really disappointed. Surely if you chatted with this person for x amount of years, your looks/career would be irelevant?

Possibly, but at the same time you've trusted in this person for x amount of years and so to find out they're not who they say they are breaks that trust. You start to wonder what else they've lied about, what else is true etc..
    valda wrote: »
    Last weeks one was great.

btw I wonder if there will be any men looking for help?

I think next week's episode features a bloke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Seems a bit fake and over-dramatised to me. E.g Nev's partner filimg everything on a video recorder despite the MTV camera crew being there, just add to the jumpy "real life" feel.

And surely they wouldn't start filming someone if they.couldn't guarantee that they would get to meet the "catfish", otherwise the show would be boring.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully there will be an episode with a happy ending at some point!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be an episode with a happy ending at some point!

There's been two already. The gay guys and the pansexual girl with the transgender boyfriend.
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    There's been two already. The gay guys and the pansexual girl with the transgender boyfriend.

Thanks for the spoilers! :(:p
    Forum Member
    I really thought there was going to be a happy(as in romantic) ending on last night's episode, even after the reveal, but not to be.

On a side note, I was looking at some of the cast members' Twitters and Sunny from episode 1 seems to claim that what was said at the end of her episode(about her and Chelsea being friends) was untrue. Makes you wonder how many of the end of episode updates are stretching the truth.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Nevs brother is so sexy o god...
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    Nevs brother is so sexy o god...

The guy with the grey hair?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the spoilers! :(:p

Sorry, I didn't know you hadn't seen them. I just thought you didn't consider them as happy endings. How far behind us are you? The one with the transgender and pansexual came on in mid December. The other one was two weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't know you hadn't seen them. I just thought you didn't consider them as happy endings. How far behind us are you? The one with the transgender and pansexual came on in mid December. The other one was two weeks ago.

Jared and Melissa( I think that's right) was just shown on Monday here. Don't worry about the spoilers, I probably won't remember anyway :D I must admit, I'm tempted to download ahead but like watching it once a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show's Wikipedia page lists all the outcomes. I have to stop myself peeking!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jared and Melissa( I think that's right) was just shown on Monday here. Don't worry about the spoilers, I probably won't remember anyway :D I must admit, I'm tempted to download ahead but like watching it once a week.

Oh, you are WY behind. We saw that in the beginning of December. Plus, we've had two, two week breaks.
    Forum Member
    Just watched the movie version, so good, even though I sort of knew the outcome I was still feeling nervous for him and wanted a happy ending!

I wonder how they got Angela to agree to being on TV, I wonder if they had to pay her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carrying on from my question about potential happy endings, which was answered by the latest episode, I wonder whether there'll be an episode where the other person is exactly who they say they are? I'm guessing not, as that wouldn't be very interesting.