99.6% of singles sold are downloads, says BPI

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a456985/996-percent-of-singles-sold-are-downloads-says-bpi.html

This is interesting ..
The trade body feels that the rise of legal services in the British market has made a difference in changing consumer behaviour.

According to Kanter Worldpanel, more than one in four (27%) of the UK population purchased downloads or streamed content using the 70+ legitimate sources available last year. This was claimed to be double the number of Brits (14.5%) using peer-to-peer networks to illegally share tracks.

The BPI's data also revealed that the average spend by legal-only music consumers was £33.43, compared to £26.64 for file-sharers

Certainly flies in the face of us being constantly told that piracy is killing the industry I suppose.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Maybe due to the fact that most singles don't even have physical copies anymore?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nooneoo wrote: »
    Maybe due to the fact that most singles don't even have physical copies anymore?

True, I'd buy loads more but the Pet Shop Boys seem to be the only act I like who still release them regularly.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nooneoo wrote: »

I think one was driven by the other though - as downloads increased, physical copies decreased
  • georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    awww how sad. miss the old woolworths singles, guess theres no going back to that now.. ever probably
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    awww how sad. miss the old woolworths singles, guess theres no going back to that now.. ever probably

I miss Our Price.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Piracy is killing the industry though. Sales have drastically dropped since the internet began to take off. People no longer have to buy. Singles are selling more than ever, but big bucks are being lost. £10 is worth more than £1.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I miss CD singles, with the advent of digital storage and the 'mix-up' capability that offers for creating your own eclectic playlists etc; they're just not worth the physical storage room. I've still got all my old 7" records from the late 80s and (very early) 90s; they have an enduring 'display' value that the CD format just didn't have, with its sterile plastic casing, plus (although of course this is subject to interminable debate) they do have that vinyl 'sound' that is so evocative and just cannot be digitised.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Our Price.

Yes, i was in there every Monday lunchtime for the new releases.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I download all my singles from iTunes now. Haven't bought a CD single since January 2010. I still have loads of my old ones though and I even have some cassette singles lying around.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there was a bloody shop that sold them, I'd buy them. I still have loads. I miss not being able to buy a 6 track CD with remixes, the odd live track and cover version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope albums don't go the same way too.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sobs in corner with safe from harm cassingle