'Guardians of the Galaxy', Flop in the Making?

124»

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It would help if it was funny to make it clear as you don't want to offend someone by assuming that they are joking if they are not!
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gollum is a creature brought to life in a realistic way a man turned into a creature by the power of the ring. a serious idea

a talking racoon acting like basil brush is a racoon a real creature we see in real life who dont talk so therefore s just plain stupid and shows the mentality of humans we are getting dumber by the day

If people on the internet are joking, the trick is to try and make the joke funny.
    Forum Member
    Well we will find out next week if GOTG is going to flop like the original poster of this thread thought it would be!
    Forum Member
    Well the reports are saying that GOTG is heading towards a $90m opening weekend in the US which seems to prove that the OP was incorrect in starting this thread!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    We'll it made nearly $40m yesterday so it's off to a great start. Beating Cap 2 and Thor 2.
    Forum Member
    Yeah that doesn't really seem like a flop!
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,623
    Forum Member
    $160.4m worldwide opening weekend. Not too shabby!
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think that offically confirms that Guardians Of The Galaxy is not a flop!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting - I think (and going by the figures, may be right) that a talking tree and raccoon will make more people want to see it because it's something that stands out in the trailer. I'm not ashamed to say that I only went because Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket and so I was intrigued. I absolutely loved the film - I've only seen a handful of Marvel films (mainly the X-Men franchise) and so it's actually changed my view on these films and I will definitely be wanting to watch others now.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems to be getting ok reviews I may just wait and look at blu ray.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    seems to be getting ok reviews I may just wait and look at blu ray.

Ok reviews????

It's getting mostly glowing reviews.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate sci-fi/typical superhero type films but watched this at the weekend and loved it!

I am perplexed by people who think a talking raccoon can't be taken seriously... as a non-sci-fi/comic fan, nearly every single character in such films seems ridiculous but is taken seriously by the usual sci-fi type fans. For example, the first time I watched Star Wars and saw the characters I thought it was actually a joke.

Anyway I unexpectedly loved this film, it was lighthearted and entertaining.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    I hate sci-fi/typical superhero type films but watched this at the weekend and loved it!

I am perplexed by people who think a talking raccoon can't be taken seriously... as a non-sci-fi/comic fan, nearly every single character in such films seems ridiculous but is taken seriously by the usual sci-fi type fans. For example, the first time I watched Star Wars and saw the characters I thought it was actually a joke.

Anyway I unexpectedly loved this film, it was lighthearted and entertaining.

So the first time you watched Star Wars you thought it was a joke and yet you still fail to understand why some people can't take a talking raccoon seriously? :confused:
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    So the first time you watched Star Wars you thought it was a joke and yet you still fail to understand why some people can't take a talking raccoon seriously? :confused:

No, ratty0 is saying it's confusing why some people think that no one could find a talking raccoon serious given that far more preposterous characters are taken seriously.

Basically, having a talking raccoon isn't a reason for a film to fail given that other successful films also have strange characters.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    ratty0 wrote: »
    ... as a non-sci-fi/comic fan, nearly every single character in such films seems ridiculous but is taken seriously by the usual sci-fi type fans.
    I do sympathise with this. I think part of the problem is the way a lot of them are made. They aren't particularly persuasive towards the unconverted. It's all about pleasing those that already are. I understand GotG is a lot more open and friendly that way, so fair play to it.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this yesterday in 2D and absolutely loved it from start to finish, could well be the film of the year for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Not because of the quality of the film, more that it doesn't seem mainstream to me.

Also Marvel must be at the end of their run of success with basically the same formula, audiences get tired of the same thing.

It has to happen one day, this films looks like a likely candidate...

Biggest August opening box office in the US of all time. 160 million worldwide so far. 4 star reviews and A ratings in most magazines and media aggregation websites.

I hope that crow doesn't taste too nasty.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its knocked of dawn of the planet of the apes top spot :(
    hopefully Dawn did pretty well?
    But will defo watch this when its out on Blu.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I guess Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes did well as it was out for two weeks before GOTG was released!

I was reading that it might be close between TMNT and GOTG in the US and I guess that GOTG will get competition this weekend in the UK from Inbetweeners 2!

So it will be interesting to see if Guardians can get a second week at number 1 in the box office in the UK and US!