Weight Watchers...C4 8pm tonight.

BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
Forum Member
.. How They make Their Millions.

Looking forward to this as I am not a fan of these types of diets even tho they do seem to work for some.

Not sure if this programme is for or against this diet.

Comments

• Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,147
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    .. How They make Their Millions.

Looking forward to this as I am not a fan of these types of diets even tho they do seem to work for some.

Not sure if this programme is for or against this diet.

Please tell this is not a Dispatches program:eek:

They use have real investigative journalism and credible programs about politics, war, crime, etc, and now they've gone down the route of tabloid, consumerist shite. Last week they were prattling on about the prices supermarkets charge for their fruit - who gives a f**k!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

They use have real investigative journalism and credible programs about politics, war, crime, etc, and now they've gone down the route of tabloid, consumerist shite. Last week they were prattling on about the prices supermarkets charge for their fruit - who gives a f**k!

I thought that fruit was an ad for Tesco's :o

It's Jane Moore if that is any help. Did not see Dispatches mentioned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    OMG! It's been a long time since a programme made me so angry! :mad: Why is she picking fault with WeightWatchers? It's a great programme that helps people lose weight without starving.

When I'm doing WeightWatchers and I'm out shopping, I choose to eat what I want! Some times, I might choose the WeightWatchers brand for convenience cause it has the points on it... but if I have more time, I might choose a non WeightWatchers brand! For goodness sake, what is the big deal?

Anyone who has done the programme knows that Walkers crisps are more filling than the Weight Watchers crisp, so you make a choice! It's no big deal! Do I need Dispatches to investigate this?

And as for their desserts containing artificial ingredients! FOR FLAMING SAKE! IF I CHOOSE TO EAT A PACKAGED FROZEN DESSERT, I KNOW IT WILL CONTAIN ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS! Sometimes I will eat artificial, other times if I am choosing to live cleaner, I will shop for more organic products!

I'm sure people can take responsibility for what they want to eat without WeightWatchers being torn apart!

Of all the diet programmes, it encourages you to eat a diet full of fruit and vegetables!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I have tried Weight Watchers before and was not impressed one bit. Too much counting and the ready meals were horrible!!! I lasted a month and was just not motivated, took too much time to count stuff and just didn't suit me.

I am now a Slimming World addict!! Much better choice of free foods, very healthy and never feel you are missing out. Having lost 4 stone in 5 months, I am now Slimming World for life. :)
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried weight watchers and slimming world and felt all they were both out to do was make money out of me. I'd rather spend the money each week on extra fruit and veg.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my desired weight via Weight Watchers. I didn't however use the products not count points. I just tracked what I was eating and enjoyed the meetings, the weigh-ins and the talks. I found them to be very worthwhile and it worked a (low fat) treat. I lost nearly three stone and got to my target weight and then I was asked to put my name forward to be leader (which I declined but I'd do it today). Like everything: else you adapt it to your own needs. You don't have to count points or use the products - I didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried weight watchers and slimming world and felt all they were both out to do was make money out of me. I'd rather spend the money each week on extra fruit and veg.

They are a service and like every service you use: a business. Of course they have to turn a profit.

Once I had gone a few times, I realized how to lose weight (It wasn't rocket science!) but the talks and the encouragement was something I could not do on my own. The keyword is motivation and that's what I got from the class. The leader was always genuinely pleased I'd lose weight every week - even if it was half a pound. And when I got my card, keyring (which I still have) and badge and the applause, she was even a bit teary because she knew it meant a lot to me.

That was nearly five years ago and I'm now even lighter now than I was when I lot all the weight. But I couldn't have done it alone.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to be a leader and it is a business to make money. the biscuits etc available in the meeting are for convienience. You can get better value elsewhere in biscuits and crisps However, I would recommend the cookbooks and the scales, They are excellent.

I wouldn't eat WW bread, it is like air and not worth the effort. Better to have less more filling bread.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This programme was uttrer crap as you'd predicted.

It was stating the blinding obvious, accusing Weight Watchers of trying to make money out of its products (shock horror!) & their diet processed foods for not being as healthy or value for money as you might think!:eek: (falls off chair in shock!)

Then they laid into the fact that the diets dont always last long term... terrible isnt it?? I mean, its not as if the dieter has any say in how long their weight loss is sustained for is it??

If you found this programme the remotest bit "shocking" then clearly you're a moron:rolleyes:

Most "shocking" thing about it was the shoddy journalism...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I want my half an hour back :mad:

That whole programme could have been condensed into about 30 seconds.

* Weightwatchers make money off their food

* Some people put weight on after they stop dieting

Did you know that the Pope is Catholic and bears do their business in the woods too? :rolleyes:
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got me was the sheer illogicality of the comparisons they were making.

Firstly she was implying people are forced to buy WW food because it has the points on it. Then she compared bread weight for weight when the whole point is the convenience of having smaller slices which aren't as many points each. And all small loaves cost more than half the bigger sized loaves.

Then comparing WW ice cream - which probably has the same ingredients as most ice cream - with Hagen Daas, a premium brand, comparative cost wasn't mentioned at all - because clearly the Hagen Daas is going to be more costly!

And if everyone was as thick about shopping as Jane Moore was making out she was nobody would have any chance of sticking to a diet without very detailed instructions!

I'm not a massive fan of diets and ideally healthy eating and more exercise will take care of excess fat, but people who are chronically obese do need some help and I was unclear what Dispatches' answer to the obesity crisis was meant to be.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2 million people - about twice as many that normally watch Dispatches - gave a f**k.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    2 million people - about twice as many that normally watch Dispatches - gave a f**k.

If you judge by the responses on the Channel 4 website, a lot of the extra viewers were either irate Weight Watchers members and leaders, or leaders in other organisations hoping to see WW knocked so they could plug their diets.
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the point (no pun intended) of this? it was a total non programme. If you don't want to spend the money on WW food don't. WW give you ample ways to check the points on any everyday foods. As for them being more expensive than the basics aren't all branded diet products more expensive.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    I was a little shocked at the price difference but then you are paying for the name.

Did try WW many years ago where I was told before I went there would be no weighing of foods .. arrived and yep you had to weight everything.

I now just eat sensible food and exercise.

The programme was a bit of 30 minutes of nothingness :o
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG! It's been a long time since a programme made me so angry! :mad: Why is she picking fault with WeightWatchers? It's a great programme that helps people lose weight without starving.

If you say so, i prefer to agree more with dispatches and have done for years, they are after your money and nothing else. Weight watchers are part of the obesity problem 'diets' need banning.

Want to lose weight and keep it off for life? Eat less and become more active, the answer is not replacing comfort eating normal food with comfort eating weight watchers food, or sitting on the sofa watching tv eating a weight watchers chocolate bar.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched this programme on catch up and I have to say it was a complete waste of my time! I have lost 1.5lbs short of 6 stone since I joined up in September 2011, and have never felt better, and I think I have bought the WW foods about a dozen times if that since I joined! I bought them for convenience and nothing else, if I was to rely on them I would not have stuck it out I think!

But this programme was just ridiculous in it's efforts to discredit WW as a means of help in losing weight by interviewing two people who claim they had joined twice in a year but didn't stick it out or wait for the meetings! :rolleyes: Give me a break! I have found and my leader agrees, you get most of your tips and support from fellow members, which is the whole point of a group in the first place! And how dare they try to make money while they provide the outlet for these meetings to take place! :eek:

The way I feel now, I am very happy to be on this programme for the rest of my life if it means keeping my weight under control, I'd much prefer that to never being able to eat a proper meal again because of weight loss surgery! The thing to remember is, there is no quick fix! Lifestyle changes are what work, and if counting points and keeping track of what and how much I'm eating is the way it will work for me, then it's worth a tenner a week and I'm happy to keep at it!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that people spend so much buying WW products when it stands to reason that that's where they make their money.

I guess it's down to laziness/convenience for some people but personally I wouldn't buy the stuff having seen the huge list of what's in the icecream alone.:rolleyes:
    I have often wondered about these addiitves, colourings, flavourings etc because I've seen WW products on sale in some the of £ store type shops and these details almost cover the whole back of the packet Can't be good for you!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I am surprised that people spend so much buying WW products when it stands to reason that that's where they make their money.

I guess it's down to laziness/convenience for some people but personally I wouldn't buy the stuff having seen the huge list of what's in the icecream alone.:rolleyes:
    I have often wondered about these addiitves, colourings, flavourings etc because I've seen WW products on sale in some the of £ store type shops and these details almost cover the whole back of the packet Can't be good for you!

And they taste awful!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they taste awful!

Kind of goes against al the talk of WW being "healthy" doesn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of the most pointless programmes I've ever seen made - Dispatches used to be a genuine show, now it's just lowest-common-denominator tabloid journalism.

Weight Watchers is a private for-profit company, and the big revelation from Dispatches was that they make money from their food and the meetings.:rolleyes: Consumers pay for the brand and for the convenience of the points - it's not rocket science.

The programme was just littered with shoddy journalism; i.e. comparing the ingredients of two completely different products (the ice cream - one was vanilla, the other has a honey sauce and honeycomb pieces) and showing that the WW brand had more ingredients - at least compare like-for-like.

Also they were just being dramatic for the sake of it i.e. saying"But the public can't freely access this data in these journals" - Errr, you have to pay for access to any academic journal - it's how the system it works - It's what students pay part of their university-fees for!

I wonder with shows like this whether they set out to 'expose' companies, and then realise they have nothing to expose and still have to drag a 30 min show out it . They secretly filmed WW meetings and the best they got was a leader going "And these pasta pots can be quite useful a lunch time". Great Gotcha Journalism...:rolleyes:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoshuaUK wrote: »
    This was one of the most pointless programmes I've ever seen made - Dispatches used to be a genuine show, now it's just lowest-common-denominator tabloid journalism.

Weight Watchers is a private for-profit company, and the big revelation from Dispatches was that they make money from their food and the meetings.:rolleyes: Consumers pay for the brand and for the convenience of the points - it's not rocket science.

The programme was just littered with shoddy journalism; i.e. comparing the ingredients of two completely different products (the ice cream - one was vanilla, the other has a honey sauce and honeycomb pieces) and showing that the WW brand had more ingredients - at least compare like-for-like.

Also they were just being dramatic for the sake of it i.e. saying"But the public can't freely access this data in these journals" - Errr, you have to pay for access to any academic journal - it's how the system it works - It's what students pay part of their university-fees for!

I wonder with shows like this whether they set out to 'expose' companies, and then realise they have nothing to expose and still have to drag a 30 min show out it . They secretly filmed WW meetings and the best they got was a leader going "And these pasta pots can be quite useful a lunch time". Great Gotcha Journalism...:rolleyes:

Even the leader said they wouldn't personally choose to eat the pasta pots. Hardly the hard sell!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoshuaUK wrote: »
    They secretly filmed WW meetings and the best they got was a leader going "And these pasta pots can be quite useful a lunch time". Great Gotcha Journalism...:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha brilliant - i think I'd zoned out by that point.

The bit where Jane Moore went to her local shop and said indignantly that she didn't know what the points were in the food so she had to buy WW branded goods was almost as good though. Ever heard of a shopping list Jane? Or planning ahead?

I think the idea was that 'Points' are meant to be incredibly difficult to use. Well you do need to use the website or a calclulator if you want their exact calculation but you can get by on estimating 40 calories a point if you need to make a guess at something in a shop!
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll notice this program and 'Tonight'on ITV only tackle companies and social habits now as the tv companies are in bed with the government and don't tackle THEM anymore like World in Action did for example.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you do need to use the website or a calclulator if you want their exact calculation but you can get by on estimating 40 calories a point if you need to make a guess at something in a shop!

This is more useful than the programme appears to have been! Thanks for that!