F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a shaky first forum for Suzy so far, she's clearly getting fed a huge amount of information via earpiece, at one stage she seemed to announce big news about an extra set of tyres being allowed in from Barcelona, then seemed to backtrack, after that her confidence seemed shot a bit.

Maybe it would have been fairer to her if they had reverted to the old fashioned forum based in one place, having said that her dragging away EJ from Jacques when Sky Italia wanted their pundit back was great. On the whole she's actually doing a really good job, and seems to be building a strong relationship with EJ and DC. BBC also doing a great job of getting the post race news first - Tom catching Webber coming out of the stewards office was great, surprised There was no other media stalking the stewards office considering the amount of ongoing investigations.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Coverage today on BBC always going to be a bit awkward when criticising Red Bull, but as others have said, the Multi 1-2 message from last year was a good find.

Suzi to me did a good job, the dynamic will be different from last year, some will find this better and others worse.

One complaint for the race direction was the lack of names with the constant "Car 2 overtook on yellow flags)".

Overall this looks like being a good season, and hopefully no team running away with it.
  • MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Eddie won't be doing Spain if he's missing next two races?
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    One complaint for the race direction was the lack of names with the constant "Car 2 overtook on yellow flags)".

They had those graphics resolve car numbers to names last season, not sure why they don't any more (when there's one or two cars on the caption, fair enough that they don't when half the field is put under investigation!).

Noticed they also don't do the team radio translation graphics why they briefly used last season.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stringyb92 wrote: »
    I guess it is wrong for someone to have an opinion against the BBC?

Not at all. I was having a laugh.

Ken
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    They had those graphics resolve car numbers to names last season, not sure why they don't any more (when there's one or two cars on the caption, fair enough that they don't when half the field is put under investigation!).
    I remember that from last season as well and wonder why they have stopped doing so.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    World Endurance Championship 6hrs of Silverstone now live on MotorsTV in Sub-SD.
    There's also a HD stream on there Dailymotion page:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpg7wv_fia-wec-live_auto?start=2#.UWqIQkpc1mM

BlanchPain endurance series from Monza will be live on there YouTube page from 1:30:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFk31KVqKI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World Endurance Championship 6hrs of Silverstone now live on MotorsTV in Sub-SD.

How do Motors get it to look so bad? Their bitrate isn't that low for an SD channel (it's higher than the SD Sky Sports channels for example), but it looks terrible. When news programmes show sport recorded off-air from another SD broadcaster it doesn't look as bad as Motors.

Also looks like there'll be no penalties for using the DRS under yellows for anyone. Embarrassing for the FIA, and as I doubt they can get it fixed in a week, will possibly set a dangerous precedent for Bahrain.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    1st time this year that I've watched the BBC & for me im not really enjoying the Suzi/EJ/DC combo, There's something lacking which I can't really put my finger on.

With the exception of EJ's occasional stupid comments I always enjoyed the Jake/DC/EJ combo & thats why last year I always watched Sky/BBC side by side when both were live. Right now based off just today Im not sure i'll be doing that this year & instead stick just to sky although I will wait a few more races.

Also still not a big fan of Ben/DC on commentary, I have always been a big fan of Ben's going back to when he was on EuroSport, However for some reason Im just not enjoying his partnership with DC.

Agree with your comment about Suzi - also not sure what's missing but as it is her first live presentation and forum I'll give her a chance. Maybe it's just all the stuff going on in her ear or perhaps it was lack of information that resulted in a couple of quiet moments.

I don't have a Sky F1 subscription this year but last year I'd usually record Sky and watch BBC when they were both broadcasting live. Then I'd watch the Sky presentation for the gridwalk and Ted's notebook which I quite liked. I usually fast-forwarded through much of the rest unless there was something that caught my eye.

Ben and DC are doing fine as far as I'm concerned. Did seem to take a while to recognise Webber was parked up during Qualifying but I don't mind them at all.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    A man has killed himself in the grandstands while watching the NASCAR at Texas.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51533100/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Oh dear, JP took that banning from the Autosport forum badly didn't he :o

Issues with our Sky box at F1InPubs Birmingham meant we had to watch the BBC feed today. Can't decide which is the better commentary tbh, it feels like two parties going on in two adjoining rooms, both are amazing and have people in them to want to catch up with and talk to, however you can't be in two places at once....

If Bernie thinks tyres are getting too much he should have a word with Charlie to bring out the safety car more. A SC for the Sauber/FI crash or Webber's parking up will give the teams free pitstops and ensure they're all on the right rubber...

However you can't really argue with a finish like today's can you. Tho I'm sure someone will try! :p
  • EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the coverage from Sky, haven't had a chance to watch the BBC yet but I thought that Sky were very good especially with the Skypad feature with Lewis and the Jacques Villeneuve and Damon Hill discussion which was really interesting. Great commentary from Crofty, I thought it was his best of the year so for.

Although I will say, not broadcasting related I know, but this weekend was the first time that I found myself getting annoyed with the tyres. But still a very enjoyable Grand Prix...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Agree with your comment about Suzi - also not sure what's missing but as it is her first live presentation and forum I'll give her a chance. Maybe it's just all the stuff going on in her ear or perhaps it was lack of information that resulted in a couple of quiet moments.

For anyone who doesn't know what the earpiece on a live broadcast is like, Jake posted a clip in this blog post:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumphrey/2009/07/an_earpiece_of_the_action.html
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wbm00 wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't know what the earpiece on a live broadcast is like, Jake posted a clip in this blog post:

There is also a great clip some ware on you tube of Philip Hayton presenting his first 1 o'clock news in 1987 with the talk back on.

They were practically having an argument at one time and phil carried on with no mistake!

Ken
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Also looks like there'll be no penalties for using the DRS under yellows for anyone. Embarrassing for the FIA, and as I doubt they can get it fixed in a week, will possibly set a dangerous precedent for Bahrain.
    Be interesting to know exactly what is the problem with the telemetry systems.

Initially it was speculated that wires had been damaged by rats in Melbourne, However now its been said its because of a new supplier coming in to supply the telemetry link & this suppliers systems been unreliable.

Questions are, Why was a new supplier brought in, Who are the new supplier & what exactly are the problems & why haven't they been fixed by now?
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also a HD stream on there Dailymotion page:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpg7wv_fia-wec-live_auto?start=2#.UWqIQkpc1mM

BlanchPain endurance series from Monza will be live on there YouTube page from 1:30:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFk31KVqKI

With HD internet streams now a standard, there really is not much need for me to watch MotorsTV anymore. I've commented about their picture quality a few times on their forum but it never get's answered. Also curious that their replays have a bit better picture quality than their live broadcasts. The brownish colored layer is gone in replay's, so it looks a bit clearer.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Questions are, Why was a new supplier brought in, Who are the new supplier & what exactly are the problems & why haven't they been fixed by now?

Reading the reports on why penalties weren't appropriate it seems a bit silly, really:
    1: A delay of 1 minute from the display of the yellow flags until the message appeared on the official message system.

2: The electronic marshalling system DRS disable function was not operational, so drivers were relying on team communications and information conveyed to them in the "Note to Teams" which was issued prior to the Race, resulting in a degree of confusion.

3: The DRS use was on the main straight where a green light was displayed.

In other words, it was a complete shambles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone from Sky is reading please make Ted's Notebook series linkable. Forgot about it yesterday and it was only pure luck that I managed to catch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to know exactly what is the problem with the telemetry systems.

Initially it was speculated that wires had been damaged by rats in Melbourne, However now its been said its because of a new supplier coming in to supply the telemetry link & this suppliers systems been unreliable.

The "Note to teams" that the automated systems would be disabled for today's race came just over two hours before lights out, suggesting a fairly late call that the system wouldn't be reliable enough.

The new supplier was brought in presumably because they won the invitation to tender.
  • Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to F1Ken for the heads up on the news talk back video. How anyone can talk with all that going on in the background is beyond me.

Thought the race was good. Thought the BBC did a good job. I can't really tell if there is any difference now Suzie has come in.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just catching up with the BBC's programmes from yesterday and today on iPlayer as I've been away for the weekend. No-one seems to have mentioned James Allen's appearance with an ITV F1 microphone from 1997 in the team orders segment at the start of the qualifying show yet...
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I can't be doing with Perry and EJ I'm afraid, just feels so lightweight and you don't gain any insight from what their interactions whatsoever.

Was weighing up where to watch the postrace and Sky just won easily for me. Hill, Herbert, Brundle, Chandhok and Ted just lightyears ahead of what the BBC offer sadly.

In race Ben and DC are superb though, shame they don't have anyone to rival what Ted does.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha code:D
    You funny guy
    Make me laff

Unlike Sergent 8 year old below

Maybe he got lost and didn't know he could turn right?

:p

Mucho meh...
    Jp
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    wbm00 wrote: »

Yeah, I remember watching that some time ago. How they manage to get out a coherent sentence with all that going into his ear is way beyond me. And that was probably a fairly "normal" race as well - imagine if there were technical problems and the gallery was saying stuff like, "Ok, we're going to VT in four seconds. Nope, it's failed, keep talking Jake. Oh hang on it's working again - VT in three, two, one..."

Much admiration for the live broadcasters.
  • MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In race Ben and DC are superb though, shame they don't have anyone to rival what Ted does.
    Tom Clarkson is getting better and better by the race. Having him by the stewards office during the Forum reminded of the old Ted days. Thought it was funny too when Suzi, DC & EJ shouted: "Ted!" at Ted during what I assume was Ted's notebook, he was sat in a forklift truck. He didn't hear them.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
    Forum Member
    yea he was just starting the notebook. Clarkson has been doing the same kinda stuff for One in australia so he's getting plenty practice in
This discussion has been closed.