Manchester - Local Freeview Multiplex - Information Thread

Comments

• kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam_Cj wrote: »
    Is it down at the moment? I have always recieved it but now it's gone. I have done several auto-scans and manual scans but nothing. I have even done the thing where you take out the aerial cable and do a black retune to clear the memory also nothing. Is it still on UHF Ch 57?

It's quite difficult to receive, especially east of the city centre.

And yes it is still on 57
  • Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital TV has been frozen on the same 'juddering image' for about 5 days now. Audio is running fine and is the same audio as per Capital TV on Sky....but the image has froze!

Clearly no one at 'Manchester Television Network' who broadcast the extra manchester channels watch Capital Tv.

Anyone know how the channel is broadcast on DTT then? Is it just some sky box somewhere thats froze and needs rebooting to restore the DTT service, as like I say the Sky service is still running ok.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1 wrote: »
    Capital TV has been frozen on the same 'juddering image' for about 5 days now. Audio is running fine and is the same audio as per Capital TV on Sky....but the image has froze!

So it has! They may well have someone keeping an eye on this thread, but otherwsie you could let them know via their twitter account: https://twitter.com/ManchesterTVNet
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Since neither of you have a Twitter account linked to your profiles, I've taken the liberty of sending a message via my DTT one. https://twitter.com/ukdtt/status/344558273816563712
    I don't know if they have any way of monitoring the output of that mux; I suspect it's been done a bit "on the cheap" and they rely on reports if things aren't working as expected.
  • Adam_CjAdam_Cj Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Still can't get this back here in Stockport, had it fine a few weeks ago. I have retuned automatically and manually several times, even done the blank retune trick to clear the memory but no luck :mad:
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still can't get this back here in Stockport, had it fine a few weeks ago. I have retuned automatically and manually several times, even done the blank retune trick to clear the memory but no luck :mad:

Although Stockport is in the right direction to receive the Manchester multiplex, the signal is 20db down on the main services. They use 100Kw transmitters, the Manchester multiplex only uses 1Kw. As a result any slight reduction in signal,such as that caused by fresh leaves on the trees, may cause your reception to fall off the digital cliff. The transmitter was designed for QPSK transmission and was adequate for that, greed caused a switch to 16QUAM and a loss of service for a considerable number of viewers. The new local TV service, starting next year, will be 2Kw QPSK and most people in the target area with roof top aerials in good condition should be able to receive it.

In view of the current line up on the Manchester multiplex together with the dreadful picture quality on the movie channels, unless you have something simple like a poor connection somewhere, I wouldn't personally spend any money on the problem at the present time.
    Forum Member
    I have discovered yesterday that other TV's in the house are picking up these channels no problem. We have 3 aerials some of which have more than 1 tv/box linked to them. I am not sure whether the aerial I use shares with any other sets as I didn't set up the system, my dad did. As far as I can work out there's no problem with the tuner in my hd box or my TV's inbuilt tuner because I took the aerial out of the hd box where it usually stays, and put it back into the TV's tuner and that didn't pick them up either. So its unlikely that both of my tv and box are faulty. I am picking up all other channels no problem so don't want to rock the boat messing about with the aerial. Besides I am not responsible for the set up my dad is so there is not much I can do. Plus The fact that I am disabled so I can't physically get to the loft to start messing about with. I am not even going to bother discussing it with dad because I have tried to explain about how the freeview multiplexes work before and he just doesn't seem to get it! I have a lot of other devices connected to the TV set and I have read that tangled cables etc can cause reception issues. Could this be part of the problem? I know that these channels aren't fantastic ones but its frustrating that I don't have the option at all. The only other info I have is that we have some sort of amplifier, also the other day I turned on my box and there was no channels at all but fiddling around sorted that out. Besides this loss of the Manchester mux thing happened before that. Please be aware that if you reply with technical stuff about aerial set ups please keep it basic as I don't have much knowledge of this stuff, I know more about the freeview service itself and the muxes etc. thanks, sorry for the long post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have discovered yesterday that other TV's in the house are picking up these channels no problem. We have 3 aerials some of which have more than 1 tv/box linked to them.
    <snip>
    I have a lot of other devices connected to the TV set and I have read that tangled cables etc can cause reception issues. Could this be part of the problem?
    <snip>
    Besides this loss of the Manchester mux thing happened before that.

If you are able, I would suggest that you try temporarily taking your HD box to the aerial feed of a TV where the mux is being received ok. If it can get the Manchester mux there then you know that your aerial feed isn't as good as the working one. If the hd box doesn't get it even when plugged into a known working aerial then that means that your HD box isn't as sensitive to weak signals as the devices which are working. Remember the Manchester mux is really not very easy to receive and I think you are doing quite well to get it at all.

Tangled cables are not a likely to be a problem. Mains cables and unbalanced audio cables don't mix very well- run them togther too much and you'll get mains hum, but I don't think that's relevent here.

TV conditions are a bit odd at the moment - the high pressure means TV is travelling further than normal - see other threads for people picking up German TV in Norfolk etc. This can work both ways - maybe the Manchester mux is stronger for you than normal - but alternatively if there is another distant station or mux on the same frequency then you may get more interference instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCN 62 - "Heart TV" has appeared on the Greater Manchester mux this morning at approx 11am. Audio and video in place, currently running adverts at 11:30. No now+next info yet.

I'm guessing this is a DSAT rebroadcast. Fire Hit TV on 60 are still showing a blue screen, they are awaiting fibre apparently as they aren't on DSAT.
    Forum Member
    has anyone ever had a situation where they had these channels, lost them and not been able to get them back? or has anyone managed to get them back? i'm in stockport, I had them, still can't get them back :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone ever had a situation where they had these channels, lost them and not been able to get them back? or has anyone managed to get them back? i'm in stockport, I had them, still can't get them back :mad:

How did you get on with my suggestions in post #359 ? Did you try swapping things around to try to pin down where the problem is?
    Forum Member
    Haven't managed to do this as I am disabled. Also it's not my responsibility as its my parents home. They don't understand how multiplexes work anyway. I have tried explaining many times. They won't care as all the national channels are fine. They probably won't even realise that they are on a separate transmitter to winter hill. It's not a big deal as I probably won't even watch these channels. It's just a bit frustrating as I like to have access to everything that's on offer.

Is it true that this mux will have a power increase at some point? If so I might just wait till then when the signal is stronger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, well we can't be certain that it is your aerial feed that is not as good as the others in the house but we'll have to assume that is the case. It doesn't sound like you have many things that you can do that will help. Maybe check that the plug on the end of the aerial cable is a good one - and if there is a flylead to a wall socket (rather than just a cable vanishing in to the wall or through a window frame) then you can make sure that the flylead is of good quality.

I'm not aware of any rumours that the mux is going to get any power increases. It seems to be being run on a low budget.

If your aerial is looking through trees then you might get a better signal for the Winter once the deciduous leaves come off.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming Greebo's good advice doesn't work then the only solution is a better, possibly expensive aerial. As all the main channels are OK and in view of the poor offerings on this multiplex (which will be of no interest to your father) it would seem to be unreasonable to expect him to pay for this work. There is a map of this transmitter's coverage on the ukfree.tv website showing poor signal levels in Stockport so your signal is probably just the wrong side of the "digital cliff" but your neighbours are just on the right side. There are no plans to increase the power of this multiplex but, as I said in June, reception from the new local service may be better.

If somehow you get reception back but it goes away again do not re-tune, wait for it to return, because unless your TV is faulty it is not going to forget the frequency, however if you re-tune with no signal it will!
  • marria01marria01 Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    The multiplex runs at its maximum licenced output power. Any increase would require an agreed variation to the original licence.
    Forum Member
    Looks like I'm stuffed then.
    Forum Member
    Where can I find one of these plugs online? I can see trees from the bedroom were the tv is but I can see the top of the trees from the window. The ariel does disappear though the wall as far as I can tell. Can the shedding of leafs really make a difference? I've also noticed that that the lead goes from the recorder, goes along a bit and then there is a metal thing a coupling I think? Do I need to replace this also? Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you plug things together (even as a temporary test) so that the coupling isn't needed? If it is low quality it will be losing you some signal - as may the fly lead that is plugged into it.

For replacement plugs, cables, etc you can't go far wrong with http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html#CoaxPlug - and you never know, Justin might pop up on here with some advice.
    Forum Member
    http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9941/wo01.jpg

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6451/vqdw.jpg

I thought I would upload some pictures so you could see my set-up so you could figure out how best to help me. I was thinking of replacing the lead with the male coax at the end that runs to the silver joint from my box. Do you think that this could solve the problem?

I can't seem to locate anything that resembles the leads I have on the link you gave me. I have found the male coax on its own that has to be connected on to the cable. The one I have seems to be connected to the cable which goes to the joint, although I could be wrong, it could be a separate coax, I'm not sure. I am new to this and I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me to the correct products. I hope I have been as clear as possible so I can try and get this pesky manchester mux back, fingers crossed, thanks
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member

I'm in Altrincham. I had them, lost them. They were crap so not bothered. When I manually rescan, I don't even try to scan CH57
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone I know in Warrington used to be able to pick up the Manchester mux (3/10 signal strength) but lost it when the transmission mode changed a few years ago. That's outside the predicted coverage area though..
    Forum Member
    Anyone looked at my set up in the above post yet? Thanks
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you able to take that black lead off and plug the brown lead directly into the back of the DTT receiver?
    Forum Member
    i'm not sure if this is possible to be honest
    Forum Member
    just to let you know that I changed my Ariel extension lead and everything is back to normal. yay! :)