Neighbour has a low (4ft) fence

2»

Comments

• Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    IIRC, you can erect a fence up to 3ft 6 inches, but anything above that requires planning permission. Certainly a 6 ft fence would require planning permission.

It's not that cut and dry. It depends on whether the house is in an open-plan area, etc.
    I suggest you check here to see if planning permission is reall required:
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/tools/house/

And also, surely a 4ft fence would have already needed the necessary permission?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    bubbsy wrote: »
    IIRC from when we looked into the matter, you can erect a fence up to 3ft 6 inches, but anything above that requires planning permission. Certainly a 6 ft fence would require planning permission.

Well if it does the only person who could possibly have reason to object would be the neighbour so as long as you ask them anyway there should be no reason to worry about planning permission. As it is I think you're probably wrong anyway, you can erect a 2 metre (6 feet something) fence without needing planning permission, unless the fence backs onto highway:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonfenceswallsgates/workmoreppfencewallgate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my Council's website (1 metre = 3.28 feet):
    In general, if the height of any fence or other 'means of enclosure' (including a gate or wall) is within 20 metres of a road and would exceed one metre in height, then planning permission is required. 'Road' includes footpaths, tracks etc (see Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 for definition). In any other case where the height of the 'means of enclosure' would exceed two metres, then planning permission would be required. Planning permission is required for any fencing within the curtilage of or surrounding a listed building. Hedges do not require planning permission.

OP - where in the UK are you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you want a higher fence, I would strongly suggest that you look into the regulations etc asap & introduce yourself to your new neighbours asap, then if you decide to go ahead, you can say something like "We're putting up another fence, but I thought I'd better let you know as I don't want you thinking we're unfriendly" & laugh it off. When you've just moved in, people expect all kinds of changes just because it's your new home, but once you're in & settled for a few months or even longer, people are far more likely to take things like putting up higher fencing & trees for privacy personally.

We've learned the problem with leaving it a long time the hard way. My OH kept giving me the "I'll do it - I'm not paying someone good money to do what I can do myself" speech, & my neighbour got more & more on our nerves. If we go into the garden she's there too within a minute like a lazy shadow, & she doesn't give us a break from her questions or regaling us with every minute detail of her own life - sometimes you just want to do something in peace or without distractions, but her constant chatter drives us up the wall. Too much time has passed though, & now I don't feel we can put the fence up that I would really like without her thinking we're doing it to keep her away - we would be but I don't want her to know that, as we get on with apart from that & we don't want to offend her. So we're going to be stuck with a fence lower than I would like until either she moves or we do. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    We had the 4ft fence situation at our previous house. We put up a 6ft trellis panels parallel to the fence - the way we put it to the neighbours was that we wanted to grow climbers up the fence and 4ft was not high enough for the type of plants we wanted. No offence was caused - in fact then loaned us some tools to help put up the trellis, and we did grow climbing roses, solanum, clematis etc, to clothe the trellis so it became invisible.

They were probably secretly grateful you did it.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    op i can sympathise with wanting your privacy. When I moved into my house 20 years ago, the first few weeks i kept seeing my neighbour hang over the 4ft wall with a can of cider in her hand...kept wanting to chat, I couldnt sit in the garden in peace.

I went on holiday and when I returned there was a lovely 6ft wall all down one side:D She queried it and I said that the builder had misunderstood my instructions, he was suppose to come and do the work in a months time, after I had spoken to her and it was only to be 5ft - her wall was crumbling and unsightly, and that i was putting one all around for security as i was a single woman living alone. I said I had given the builder a key to get into my garage via the back garden and he just got on with it early as a job had fallen through. She bought it:D

the neighbour the others side of her then promptly did the same and put a 6ft wall between them as she was fed up of seeing her hang over with a can in hand. Now i hear her (she isnt quiet) but am glad that i put the wall up
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask your solicitor to establish who has the ownership of each fence around your garden. The deeds of your house may say whose responsibility it is.

If there is no ownership shown, you are jointly responsible with whoever owns the adjoining property or land. I am having a new fence put up this week and my neighbour and I are sharing the cost between us because we are in this situation.