Nook E-reader £29 can be used as basic android tablet

AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
Forum Member
The Nook Simple touch (£29) and Nook Glowlight (£69) have been reduseced to the prices in brackets in most stores in the UK.

I decided to get a glow light, as the simple touch was sold out in my local stores, and the light function is quite neat. I also like the physical buttons which the paperwhite does not have.

I had heard that its possible to root as it runs on android, and can run browser, email, and even the kindle app on it. Has anybody here done this yet ?

I think there's a difference in the UK and US firmware s, so don't want to brick it

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the nook reader different from the nook tablet? Like a kindle is not the same as a kindle fire. You can get the nook tablet to run android apps, but i doubt thats the 29 pounds device.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go - a video of what it actually looks like. And it looks horrible :)

http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Isn't the nook reader different from the nook tablet? Like a kindle is not the same as a kindle fire. You can get the nook tablet to run android apps, but i doubt thats the 29 puns device.

It is different, but the e-reader version also runs an older version of android and can be rooted,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIOlqsswecI

Could be handy to install dropbox to sync epub books, install the kindle app etc.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's Sonic the Hedgehog running on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AcgYhoivA
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have rooted mine (29 quid Touch) and now I can use it as intended or switch to a basic launcher for Android apps. It is running the Google Market and I have installed Twitter, Facebook and Opera Mobile browser etc. I doubt I will use them much but it is nice to have the option

Rooting was easy, look for NookManager at XDA
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah, that is quite neat. I'm almost tempted to get one just to have an e-ink reader/browser. No good for games but I do a lot of reading of news/forums/articles that might be worth having.
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Is this good for reading newspapers in sunlight?Ie spain?
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this good for reading newspapers in sunlight?Ie spain?

It's great in sunlight as it uses e-ink, like the Kindle
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I bought a Nook and hacked it to run Android. I wasn't very impressed with it as a tablet and restored it back to being an e-reader. Incidentally it is an excellent reader (apart from side-loaded books often jumping back to page 1)
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonymcQ wrote: »
    I had heard that its possible to root as it runs on android, and can run browser, email, and even the kindle app on it. Has anybody here done this yet ?
    Without rooting you can access the browser to see how poorly it performs: N > Settings > Social > Link to Facebook etc… > Google (Link Your Account) > Can't access your account? > in footer: Google Home