BBM on Android & iOS

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Many websites are saying it could be today, some are saying the 20th so what do people think?

Comments

• KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DXRulz wrote: »
    Many websites are saying it could be today, some are saying the 20th so what do people think?

Blackberry are holding a special event today I believe, so no doubt there will be more info on the cross platform BBM later today.

Edit: oh, I see the event has already happened in Malaysia and they have announced a new phone:

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323808204579082431886*****4?mg=reno64-wsj
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be twentieth occur same time as iPhone release date but honestly BBM is going be just one of many messenger apps if it come a year or two ago maybe it would of been big but not now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Blackberry are holding a special event today I believe, so no doubt there will be more info on the cross platform BBM later today.

Edit: oh, I see the event has already happened in Malaysia and they have announced a new phone:

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323808204579082431886*****4?mg=reno64-wsj

The link broke, for some reason it won't let me post a new one... It's and article on the Wall Street Journal website if you want to search for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    The link broke, for some reason it won't let me post a new one... It's and article on the Wall Street Journal website if you want to search for it.

Your on about the Z30 right ? Blackberry's 5inch device that is meant to be a competitor against S4 iPhone 5S and Z1 and HTC One.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Your on about the Z30 right ? Blackberry's 5inch device that is meant to be a competitor against S4 iPhone 5S and Z1 and HTC One.

Yea I am.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    21st of September and for FREE!

Take that BB OS7 users!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    21st of September and for FREE!

Take that BB OS7 users!

And with that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that anyone should buy a blackberry. I can't see the Z30 selling well it has a nice size display but with only a S4 pro CPU and a limited App Store can't see why anyone would want.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no sign of it on the App Store. Would have thought they would have sorted the problem of the leaked beta version by now.

PJ
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Still no sign of it on the App Store. Would have thought they would have sorted the problem of the leaked beta version by now.

PJ

The leaked beta version, whilst a problem, isn't the reason why BBM hasn't yet appeared.

Publicly, BlackBerry have blamed the beta version. In reality, there are many issues from which direction is BlackBerry going (services - can they monetise BBM? , hardware, niche enterprise business) to sensitive commercial discussions with carriers/manufacturers (think phones for the developing world with BBM as the default messaging service rather than SMS ). Add in disagreements within BlackBerry; writing off of stock (resulting in a loss and a re-evaluation of future plans) and its no wonder BBM is "delayed".
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a theory on your behalf or is that actually fact?

Why would they start rolling out on iOS in several countries? Or just a big con?
  • the_polar_bearthe_polar_bear Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt we will see it soon on iOS and Android to be honest
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt we will see it soon on iOS and Android to be honest

...and I doubt most Android or iOS user could give a toss.:)
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    What would BBM offer Android or iPhone users that cant be found on other similar apps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would BBM offer Android or iPhone users that cant be found on other similar apps?

Nothing new. It's just Blackberry trying to get in to the cross platform messaging game.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Is that a theory on your behalf or is that actually fact?

Why would they start rolling out on iOS in several countries? Or just a big con?

You are going to have to decide if you believe my statements to be true. Have a look at serious news articles about BlackBerry.

It's a bit more complicated than describing the roll out as a con!

To put it nicely : BlackBerry is going through a period of transition. Strategic direction is changing regularly. There are disagreements (at senior level) as to how to take the company forward.

What this means is that at this point, no one can say what will happen. As BlackBerry doesn't even know.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think even the comment "We are still 100% committed" actually shows it's not certain it will happen. That to me doesn't sound like "yes, we guarantee it will happen".

Btw, I wasn't accusing you of lying, was just wondering if someone in the know had mentioned it.
  • the_polar_bearthe_polar_bear Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    ...and I doubt most Android or iOS user could give a toss.:)

That is true but I'm one of those iOS guys in the minority :)
    Forum Member
    Ill use Skype or Google Talk/hangouts
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    My kid has been waiting for this for weeks no wonder they are going down the pan when even this is proving too difficult for them. Now it seems another beta is here which indicates the first version was broken and the reasons for the delay are probably nonsense.
    Forum Member
    I can't see why they would give away free the only thing that makes them what they are!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why they would give away free the only thing that makes them what they are!

Because if they don't give it away for free, no-one will bother with it. To be honest, I don't think anyone with bother with it, even if it is free.

The era of BBM has moved on to Whatsapp.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The era of BBM has moved on to Whatsapp.

Whatsapp for the oldies, and Kik for the young'uns.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBM for Android is now on Google Play. But don't get too excited, due to the high demand for the service you have to register your email address for a place in line, once the app has been installed.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you go to BBM.com it is available for ios6 and 7. Registration restriction applies.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Blackberry had thought of making it a cross platform service a few years ago. They could have even charged a £1 an app and made a tidy sum.

PJ